Doom 4 Coming Sooner Than You Think ?

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Maximilian

Lifer
Feb 8, 2004
I mean no disrespect to you and yours, but I hate you. :) (jk of course)

Regenerative health is the worst thing to happen to gaming since... I really can't think of anything worse.

Lol, yeah i didnt think it would be a popular suggestion around here. I just hate hunting around for medpacks and armor, or both with both basically serving the same purpose in the end to keep the player alive. With regenarative health the game can be extremely difficult if the difficulty setting is kicked up a notch or two. If shots to the players torso or face do a lot more damage than usual like in modern warfare 2 (yeah i know thats not gonna go down well either) but maybe not as extreme as that it would enourage proper use of cover and not getting hit rather than run & gun tactics. Run & gun could still work i guess but you would need to take cover at some point or use a more powerful weapon and be good with it for that to go favourably.

Only thing i dont like about regenerative health is the obscuring of the players view with blood or random swaying etc, its meant to add to the challenge but i dunno it just ticks me off.

motsm

Golden Member
Jan 20, 2010
Lol, yeah i didnt think it would be a popular suggestion around here. I just hate hunting around for medpacks and armor, or both with both basically serving the same purpose in the end to keep the player alive. With regenarative health the game can be extremely difficult if the difficulty setting is kicked up a notch or two.
I can completely understand why health regen exists, and why some might enjoy it. I just wish developers would stop making it the one and only option. Well, I guess it's not that big of a deal to me anyway, as pretty much all the games that use it are ruined in so many other ways that they wouldn't be worth playing anyhow. That's a topic for another place however.

I never mentioned anything about realism either.
:sneaky:
I bet Freud would have all sorts of fun with you.
Than what, pray tell, did you mean by this?

Regenerative health is no more ridiculous than picking up hundreds of band-aids after being filled with lead for days.

Last edited:

BFG10K

Lifer
Aug 14, 2000
Further off-topic posts about NZ have been removed.

Again, stay on topic folks.

Super Moderator BFG10K.

skace

Lifer
Jan 23, 2001
Lol, yeah i didnt think it would be a popular suggestion around here. I just hate hunting around for medpacks and armor, or both with both basically serving the same purpose in the end to keep the player alive. With regenarative health the game can be extremely difficult if the difficulty setting is kicked up a notch or two. If shots to the players torso or face do a lot more damage than usual like in modern warfare 2 (yeah i know thats not gonna go down well either) but maybe not as extreme as that it would enourage proper use of cover and not getting hit rather than run & gun tactics. Run & gun could still work i guess but you would need to take cover at some point or use a more powerful weapon and be good with it for that to go favourably.

Only thing i dont like about regenerative health is the obscuring of the players view with blood or random swaying etc, its meant to add to the challenge but i dunno it just ticks me off.

If you read this post a couple times you will understand the fault in your logic. But let me break it down for you:

1. I want regenerative health so that I don't have to go looking for health packs.
2. Regenerative health makes combat more easy, so monsters should hurt me a lot more.
3. Monsters hurt a lot more, so I should remain behind cover a lot more.
4. I can't get health packs even if they existed because now I'm constantly forced to hide behind things.

These 4 steps are basically the full life cycle of action based quake style FPS -> camping/cover based gears of war style of FPS. You haven't improved the game play, you've completely changed it. This game play only exists because console gamers cannot aim quickly enough or move quickly enough to handle intense combat, they needed cover and regenerative health as a sort of illusion of intense combat while it not actually existing.

It's boring and flawed and I'd prefer Id Software of all companies not go that route.