Doom (2016) Discussion

Page 28 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Red Hawk

Diamond Member
Jan 1, 2011
On steam sale for $30. Worth it? Or wait for black friday or xmas sale and maybe get it for $15-20? Considering I might not have much time to play it between now and the anyway so tempted to wait. $30 is a little steep.

Are there any good custom maps/campaigns or is it basically just a 15 hr story and so-so multiplayer?

Yeah, I'm tempted by the QuakeCon sale too...$30 really isn't steep at all, considering that it's only a few months old and from Bethesda, a publisher known for keeping the price of its top tier franchises inflated for a while (ie Fallout & Elder Scrolls). I doubt we'll see a much bigger sale on Black Friday or Christmas.

Sulaco

Diamond Member
Mar 28, 2003
On steam sale for $30. Worth it? Or wait for black friday or xmas sale and maybe get it for $15-20? Considering I might not have much time to play it between now and the anyway so tempted to wait. $30 is a little steep.

Are there any good custom maps/campaigns or is it basically just a 15 hr story and so-so multiplayer?

Well I can't say for certain it would be worth it "for you", I just don't know you and your gaming proclivities.
But I think it's safe to say for the majority of folks who enjoy the traditional DOOM "run n' gun" gameplay style; yes, it's well worth $30.

It's not perfect, but if you're looking for the most modern take on the classic Doom formula it does that very well.

Red Hawk

Diamond Member
Jan 1, 2011
Well I went ahead and picked it up, and hell if it isn't a good time. The flow of combat between gunplay and glory kills is perfect, just perfect. And it runs at a silky smooth, constant 60 FPS at 1080p on my rig. Thank you, Vulkan!

HumblePie

Lifer
Oct 30, 2000
Amazon just keeps dropping the price on the collectors edition lower and lower. Actually, I placed two more orders to do returns on them just to get the cheaper price from what I originally paid a couple weeks ago. Amazon no longer does price matching when they drop the price, but they'll let me order for the cheaper price and then do a return on my older order for a full refund. Kind of a retarded bassackwards way of doing it. Still it's $55 right now for the PC collectors edition version today as of this post.

Tweak155

Lifer
Sep 23, 2003
I paid a full $96 for PC CE on release day... was nice to just have a reserved copy waiting to pick up, but did not expect it to drop so fast.

I rarely spend over $30 on a game so no big loss, but still kind of disappointing. They're smart to do this while it still has decently high popularity.

obidamnkenobi

Golden Member
Sep 16, 2010
I paid a full $96 for PC CE on release day... was nice to just have a reserved copy waiting to pick up, but did not expect it to drop so fast.

I rarely spend over $30 on a game so no big loss, but still kind of disappointing. They're smart to do this while it still has decently high popularity.
That's why I was asking. Haven't spent more than $15-20 on a game for several years, so $30 seems like a lot. For the "value"/time I'd get from it.

But anywho, I relented and bought doom this weekend. At medium it runs at the mid-upper 20s fps on my 6950. Unpleasant. My rx 470 arrive Thursday.

Also got OG doom and doom 2. Haven't played that since I was like 13. Surprisingly fun still!

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

IronWing

No Lifer
Jul 20, 2001
I just came up with a "corrupted game file" so my saved game won't reload. I was just starting the Vega Central Processing level. Looks like I have to start over from scratch.

sze5003

Lifer
Aug 18, 2012
I just came up with a "corrupted game file" so my saved game won't reload. I was just starting the Vega Central Processing level. Looks like I have to start over from scratch.
That's gotta suck but at least the gameplay is fun. Luckily I have not run into that issue yet. If it happens as I get further I'll most likely scale the difficulty down to easy until I get back to where I am.

I'm already at a point where I'm getting surrounded by giants and tons of enemies and I'm still getting used to the width of this monitor while spinning around trying to cover my sides.

YBS1

Golden Member
May 14, 2000
Don't feel bad, I had completed the game and was about 5 items from having 100% completion on all items/achievements when I was bitten by the "developer mode" bug and had to start over. Said to heck with this and did it all over on ultra violence, was just as fun the second time.

Sent from my ASUS_Z00AD using Tapatalk

moonbogg

Lifer
Jan 8, 2011
O9bTNfF.jpg

Ultrawide screenie.

escrow4

Diamond Member
Feb 4, 2013
Amazing how good this game is. Classic Doom, yes the locked room kill everything may be irritating but it is done very well. Secrets are not too hard to find, I can usually find half fairly easily, and Youtube the rest, although you don't really need to find anything in a playthrough, finding around 60% is more than enough to enjoy the game. Those cute little Doomguys are hilarious too, as is finding classic Doom levels. Very very impressed this really is a modern Doom - its basically if the 1993 version was never made this would be a similar classic - it really is that good. The only downside is the stupid size - 55GB download and around 60GB installed. Took near 14 hours to download which is roughly how long the game runs for; there are 13 levels (heh) and each will take around an 1hr to explore more or less decently. Don't forget that the initial levels have weapons as secrets including the plasma gun and super shotgun.

As to the guns, the heavy machine gun is useless, the chaingun is vastly superior and I strongly strongly recommend you at least find the Argent upgrades in each level; your suit can be upgraded to Level 5 for Health, Armor, and Ammo, so your health/armor maxxxed out is around 200 as opposed to 100 or less than 100 and you will run out of ammo less. Also use the chainsaw on lower level demons as you will get piles of ammo. Playing on maximum easy for enjoyment and the lore is also well done - its interesting to see UAC has turned into a cult - employees are expected to live, breathe, and if required die with a smile for UAC.

Very impressed, a 2K16 highlight for me. Actually better than what Mankind Divided turned out.

PrincessFrosty

Platinum Member
Feb 13, 2008
www.frostyhacks.blogspot.com
OK I'm late to the game. Bought this a few days ago, was frustrated that the single player was reportedly not very long and the multiplayer was already dead, and for whatever crazy reason the coop wasn't very good (?!). So £40 seemed a risk, despite all the other good things I heard about this game. And quite frankly my early impression at E3 and other venues was that this looked like it was "consolized" up the wazoo.

Anyway a few days after I bought it I've had chance to play it and did the intro section, I put the game into 4k resolution and then anxiously put all the settings to max (ultra/nightmare) and to my utter surprise it ran at 60fps on my stock GTX1080 easily. Man the game looks amazing and it's buttery smooth, I'm kind of gobsmacked to be honest, it's just so crisp.

You can also immediately feel the old school Doom in this, the moment you hit W to move forward and you leap forward like you have rocket shoes on, it's immediately satisfying to blast around the map at high speed, you just know before you really get into any arena fights that movement is going to be super important. The weapons are satisfying as **** to use and despite my initial concerns about rubbish 1st person animations and mantling and all that console McGubbins, I'm genuinely surprised.

This is one of those times I have to hold my hand up and wholeheartedly admit I was wrong from my first impressions. And I'm glad I was wrong. I'm not far in but I IMMEDIATELY enjoy this, which is a good sign. Running up to gribblies and getting point blank and then doing a full shotgun blast to the face is super satisfying.

HumblePie

Lifer
Oct 30, 2000
OK I'm late to the game. Bought this a few days ago, was frustrated that the single player was reportedly not very long and the multiplayer was already dead, and for whatever crazy reason the coop wasn't very good (?!). So £40 seemed a risk, despite all the other good things I heard about this game. And quite frankly my early impression at E3 and other venues was that this looked like it was "consolized" up the wazoo.

Anyway a few days after I bought it I've had chance to play it and did the intro section, I put the game into 4k resolution and then anxiously put all the settings to max (ultra/nightmare) and to my utter surprise it ran at 60fps on my stock GTX1080 easily. Man the game looks amazing and it's buttery smooth, I'm kind of gobsmacked to be honest, it's just so crisp.

You can also immediately feel the old school Doom in this, the moment you hit W to move forward and you leap forward like you have rocket shoes on, it's immediately satisfying to blast around the map at high speed, you just know before you really get into any arena fights that movement is going to be super important. The weapons are satisfying as **** to use and despite my initial concerns about rubbish 1st person animations and mantling and all that console McGubbins, I'm genuinely surprised.

This is one of those times I have to hold my hand up and wholeheartedly admit I was wrong from my first impressions. And I'm glad I was wrong. I'm not far in but I IMMEDIATELY enjoy this, which is a good sign. Running up to gribblies and getting point blank and then doing a full shotgun blast to the face is super satisfying.

Yep, love the game too. After a few maps though you'll find the faults I pointed out more than likely previously in this thread. Still they aren't horrendously bad faults.

Although you'll get annoyed at the damn glory kill challenges and the last two rune trials which are stupidly hard in comparison to all previous challenges. The glory kill challenges are annoying because they'll make you do them from a certain angle, and while you do them, the game doesn't register it. Like do 6 glory kills on knights from above! You'll do a glory kill while coming down on their heads but for some reason the game will animate out to a normal glory kill instead of an in the air one. Which doesn't count for the challenge. Then you realize there are like a handful of knights in that level and you have to redo the whole damn level if you want to complete the challenge.

PrincessFrosty

Platinum Member
Feb 13, 2008
www.frostyhacks.blogspot.com
Yeah I noticed the Glory kill from above on the knights wasn't registering properly, it's super tricky to kill them on the ground and then quickly hop onto a ledge and get the right angle and height to kill them, you have to make sure you're kiting them around something you can jump on and then be very quick when they're stunned. Although I just did the fairly sizable 3rd(ish) mission, I can't remember the level but it requires 2 knight curb stomps and I managed to 100% the level first time with no deaths.

I do have the game on easy though, quite frankly with something with no quick save and huge arena battles I can't be doing with it being solid and re-doing parts over and over. On the other hand I don't feel like I'm too far through the game and I've already racked up 4 hours by basically searching for everything and doing all the side objectives.

sze5003

Lifer
Aug 18, 2012
You guys reminded me that I need to go back and finish this game. Definitely worth it for the price now if anyone is looking to try it out. I think I got it for $40 and I was more than happy with it at the time.

bigi

Platinum Member
Aug 8, 2001
Replaying for like 5th time. Don't like boss fights, can't pass one w/out cheating.

Still awesome game.

Also, replaying doom2 via emulator for like 100 time. Just awesome.