Doom (2016) Discussion

Page 27 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

pauldun170

Diamond Member
Sep 26, 2011
Bought this on a whim from Steam Sale because "alcohol"
Stock 2700K + GTX780@1080p
Runs alright on ultra but may dial it back a bit as FPS is averaging 40 on some levels.
The first part where your outside was meh. Graphically nothing special. FPS was very smooth. Not memorable at all.
Now that I'm inside, will see if it picks up.

ImpulsE69

Lifer
Jan 8, 2010
If anyone wants this game greenmangaming has it for 40% off +20% with code JULY20 - for a total of $28.79 Steam version.

Monk5127

Mar 22, 2015
If anyone wants this game greenmangaming has it for 40% off +20% with code JULY20 - for a total of $28.79 Steam version.

Just picked it up, not bad for £20.
Also the Vulkan patch has just dropped so will be attempting to compare performance in a day or two when the game has finished downloading.
(if anyone is interested) Specs - i7 4771/R9 Nano
EDIT: Finished on "Hurt Me Plenty" time for Ultra Violence!

Last edited:

HumblePie

Lifer
Oct 30, 2000
Picked this game up as the collectors edition with the statue from Amazon's prime day sale for $80. Since the base game was selling for $30 that day on Amazon, I figured the statue was worth the $50 extra.

Beyond that I managed to play the first 6 missions this weekend and enjoyed the game immensely. I have a few criticism, but overall I really like the game. Glad they went back to the pulse pounding action packed overload fighting style of the original DOOM and DOOM 2. The thematic/horror slower paced design setup of DOOM 3 I really didn't like for the series. While I don't mind games like that, as I love the Resident Evil series which is the same as that, I am playing DOOM for different play style for a reason.

That being said, the reboot of DOOM I have some solid criticisms for. First is the RPG aspect of it. I don't mind RPG aspects in a game, but tying said aspect progression to the puzzles and finding of all secrets every mission is just plain dumb. I hate having to spend every mission backtracking all around to make sure I get everything. Because if I don't then I'm just hurting my progression and making things harder for myself as the game goes along. DOOM 1 and 2 had secrets and puzzles and fun stuff, but they were never mandatory to do/find. The DOOM reboot makes those things mandatory and it's annoying. Speaking of mandatory, I hate the forced fighting sequences sometimes. Don't get me wrong though. I love the big fights, but I hate being forced to stay in a room and wipe out everything before I can leave that room. That is definitely not the spirit of the original DOOM games. If I wanted to run I could in those games. There wasn't a need to clear out every level either. The current game makes it mandatory to clear out all the baddies on almost every level and that bugs me.

Still the story, general action based gameplay, graphics, and music are fantastic overall. Which, despite the annoyances I have about the game, makes me overall pleased with my purchase.

Last edited:

Anomaly1964

Platinum Member
Nov 21, 2010
Picked this game up as the collectors edition with the statue from Amazon's prime day sale for $80. Since the base game was selling for $30 that day on Amazon, I figured the statue was worth the $50 extra.

Beyond that manager to play the first 6 missions this weekend and enjoyed the game immensely. I have a few criticism, but overall I really like the game. Glad they went back to the pulse pounding action packed overload fighting style of the original DOOM and DOOM 2. The thematic/horror slower paced design setup of DOOM 3 I really didn't like for the series. While I don't mind games like that as I love Resident Evil which is the same as that, I am playing DOOM for different play style for a reason.

That being said, the reboot of DOOM I have some solid criticisms for. First is the RPG aspect of it. I don't mind RPG aspects in a game, but tying said aspect progression to the puzzles and finding of all secrets every mission is just plain dumb. I hate having to spend every mission backtracking all around to make sure I get everything. Because if I don't then I'm just hurting my progression and making things harder for myself as the game goes along. DOOM 1 and 2 had secrets and puzzles and fun stuff, but they were never mandatory to do/find. The DOOM reboot makes those things mandatory and it's annoying. Speaking of mandatory, I hate the forced fighting sequences sometimes. Don't get me wrong though. I love the big fights, but I hate being forced to stay in a room and wipe out everything before I can leave that room. That is definitely not the spirit of the original DOOM games. If I wanted to run I could in those games. There wasn't a need to clear out every level either. The current game makes it mandatory to clear out all the baddies on almost every level and that bugs me.

Still the story, general action based gameplay, graphics, and music are fantastic overall. Which, despite the annoyances I have about the game, makes me overall pleased with my purchase.

THIS!

sze5003

Lifer
Aug 18, 2012
I don't really go for all the secrets in the levels. I have yet to beat the game but can't play it now that I'm on Intel graphics lol.

I do try and get all the runes though. Some of them are pretty annoying. A lot of times I run into the argon cylinders that extend the abilities of your suit but I'm not even specifically looking for them.

I also agree that having to kill every bad guy in the room to get a check point or go through sucks. It's pretty much the only way I know the game has saved or I can now relax and move on.

HumblePie

Lifer
Oct 30, 2000
Oh, one other thing that bugs me a bit. Jumping puzzles being mandatory. Ugh, just ugh. Fuck I hate jumping puzzles when I'm not in the mood to do them. Nothing like spending an hour or so trying to figure out where the hell you need to go by pressing some lever that opens some hidden switch which opens some stupid 1 foot outcropping on a wall you need to find in the massive maze of a level to realize that is exactly where you need to go. Which means if I don't want to waste hours of my time trying to figure out where to go, I need to look up online where I need to go as my playtime is limited when I play. I don't have 8+ hours of time to dedicate every day anymore to playing games when I was young and single.

As I said, I love the game, but there are some annoyances that are in it that I wish weren't. Just give me a mission with a few simple puzzles for shits and giggles as well as lots of killing that I can attempt to do in wide open fun areas. Throw in some gorgeous graphics, great music, a simple cohesive story, and cathartic mindless killing and I would be the happiest camper!

Sulaco

Diamond Member
Mar 28, 2003
Well I finished the game tonight. Played on Hurt Me Plenty, so it wasn't really difficult at all.

I picked up the boxed copy at Target for $35 a few weeks back. STEAM says I've played 15 hours in all, so all-in-all probably about 14 hours of game time.

Long story short, I really enjoyed it, and I wasn't sure I was going to at first. But once I realized (and I'm not sure why it took me so long to adjust to this) that this was the closest spiritual successor to the original DOOM games they could make, I really began to enjoy it and have some nostalgic, mindless, "turn off your brain" fun.

I'll echo what HumblePie said up there: I'm not a big fan of the overdone "Enter large room, trash rock starts, demons begin teleporting in like mad, kill every single one, music stops, door opens for you" gameplay mechanic. A handful of times, fine, but this is essentially the meat and potatoes of the game. Luckily, it's still a blast, and blowing the hell out of every nasty thing that comes your way while running around like a maniac is always a hoot, it just got a touch too predictable and overused I felt, especially in the later levels.
I just felt that killed the organic feeling of monsters populating the facility/hell world that you felt in the original games, where certain rooms would just be packed, while others were sparsely populated, and everything in between. And you weren't forced to kill everything.

I also had a few issues with audio randomly cutting out or partially dropping, and a handful of CtD issues. But on the technical side for the most part, the game ran flawlessly and fast on my system in my signature at max details. Definitely a very pretty game to look at.

All in all though, I definitely enjoyed it, and got my money's worth. If I had to rate it, I'd give it a solid 8.5 out of 10. :thumbsup:

Anomaly1964

Platinum Member
Nov 21, 2010
Well I finished the game tonight. Played on Hurt Me Plenty, so it wasn't really difficult at all.

I picked up the boxed copy at Target for $35 a few weeks back. STEAM says I've played 15 hours in all, so all-in-all probably about 14 hours of game time.

Long story short, I really enjoyed it, and I wasn't sure I was going to at first. But once I realized (and I'm not sure why it took me so long to adjust to this) that this was the closest spiritual successor to the original DOOM games they could make, I really began to enjoy it and have some nostalgic, mindless, "turn off your brain" fun.

I'll echo what HumblePie said up there: I'm not a big fan of the overdone "Enter large room, trash rock starts, demons begin teleporting in like mad, kill every single one, music stops, door opens for you" gameplay mechanic. A handful of times, fine, but this is essentially the meat and potatoes of the game. Luckily, it's still a blast, and blowing the hell out of every nasty thing that comes your way while running around like a maniac is always a hoot, it just got a touch too predictable and overused I felt, especially in the later levels.
I just felt that killed the organic feeling of monsters populating the facility/hell world that you felt in the original games, where certain rooms would just be packed, while others were sparsely populated, and everything in between. And you weren't forced to kill everything.

I also had a few issues with audio randomly cutting out or partially dropping, and a handful of CtD issues. But on the technical side for the most part, the game ran flawlessly and fast on my system in my signature at max details. Definitely a very pretty game to look at.

All in all though, I definitely enjoyed it, and got my money's worth. If I had to rate it, I'd give it a solid 8.5 out of 10. :thumbsup:

Game is WAY too easy at Hurt me Plenty...

IronWing

No Lifer
Jul 20, 2001
The checkpoint system is bugging me.

1) Clear out area, checkpoint registers.
2) Go back to find secrets.
3) Move onto next baddies.
4) Get killed.
5) Respawn at checkpoint and have to go visit secret areas again before going back to new baddies.

One gets to keep the upgrades from the secret areas but loses any ammo/health/armor one found in the secret areas.

deustroop

Golden Member
Dec 12, 2010
A little byte of coding requested here gentlemen

Seems in my rush to save the world I overlooked the super shotgun and find the single barrel slightly less engaging if you kno what I means. So is there a code to give it to me without starting over ?

HumblePie

Lifer
Oct 30, 2000

Seems in my rush to save the world I overlooked the super shotgun and find the single barrel slightly less engaging if you kno what I means. So is there a code to give it to me without starting over ?

really? they offer the super shotgun (aka the double barrel shotgun) over a dozen times it seems from mission 4 onward.

YBS1

Golden Member
May 14, 2000

You can go back to any previous mission without losing your current progress. (Argent Facility)

WiseUp216

Platinum Member
Mar 12, 2012
www.heatware.com
Quite the update today -

DOOM Update #2 Release Notes

Single Player
Fixes and Optimizations
Fixed an issue where performance gradually decreased in the Polar Core level
Fixed an issue where the Gauss Cannon’s charged mod alt-fire did less damage than the base fire damage
Fixed an issue where players were unable to unlock the Argent Overload achievement/trophy if they began their progress after the release of Update 1
Fixed an issue where players were unable to unlock the Tinkering trophy if they began their progress after the release of Update 1 (PS4)
Fixed an issue where some users were not able to progress weapon and rune masteries after the release of Update 1.
The “What Else Ya Got” achievement/trophy no longer is blocked for those who have not completed the “Double take” challenge.
Fixed an issue which prevented users from using Combat Shotgun mods when out of shells, with “Rich Get Richer” enabled.
Multiplayer damage indicators have been removed from the single player mode.
Fixed an issue where users experienced a crash to desktop while using current NVIDIA drivers. (PC)
Fixed an issue which prevented users from assigning menu-specific actions to the Steam controller. (PC)

Multiplayer
New Features
Added two new multiplayer game modes
Sector – Capture and Hold
Exodus – Capture the Flag

Improvements to Matchmaking
Fixed several cases of party invites not working after the host leaves.
Improved host migration success rate.
Fixed issues with network connectivity loss resulting in being unable to join future matches
when connectivity was restored.
Improved handling of party peers in the game lobby.

Fixes
Fixed several third-person weapon issues (animation shaking, customization not appearing).
Fixed an issue with the magnetism hack module where power-items would not return to their original position if the player died while in transition.
Fixed an issue where taunting many times in a row could cause the player’s third-person animation to be stuck in one pose.
Fixed cases of loading screen tooltips not showing up correctly.
Fixed issue with Clan Arena and Freeze Tag showing the incorrect amount of player icons on the HUD (top-left player indicators).
Fixed issue with level up rewards, including level up rewards not being awarded properly).
Fixed presentation issue in the Intro sequence (disabling weapon GUI being displayed early).
First person hands customization fixes (fixed some cases where first person hands customization meshes weren't being shown correctly).
Fixed duplicate selection boxes in the Challenges screen.
Fixed issue where the previously played map could be loaded into the playlist again.
Fixed issue with PS+ offer being shown at an inappropriate time (PS4).

SnapMap
Community HUB Improvements
Added Find Open Match, a public match browser displaying all available public lobbies
Added a Recently Played Maps list
Added ability to Subscribe to maps and browse them from the new Subscribed Maps list
Improved the Map Browser with additional sorting options
Added new unlockable images for customizing published maps (11 new backgrounds, 10 new mode icons, 20 new miscellaneous images)
Added icons on the Map Browser to identify Cloud/Local maps

Editor Functionality Improvements
Added God Mode and Infinite Ammo as testing settings for map authors
Added Movement Speed settings in the editor

Content Additions
Added a customizable Weapon Wheel that allows the player to hold any number of weapons
Added 30 new Hell themed Modules including indoor and outdoor environments
Increased the number of weapons available by adding the Pistol, the Chainsaw and the Static

Rifle
Added Skull Keys, and Hell Barrel
Added The Unwilling to the available AI
Added the Mancubus as a selectable Player Demon
Added new Interactables including the Gore Nest, Hell Tablet, and Tripod Panel, a customizable touch screen panel
Added weapon-specific ammo to Pickups and AI drop tables
Added all new Hell Props including a giant demon skull, altars, cauldrons and more
Added construction props such stone blocks, rocks, columns, and arches for customizing

Hell environments
Added Launch Pads with logic to control distance, speed, direction, and destination
Added new FX to accompany the Launch Pads
Added new Demonic and Origin Hell Voice Speakers
Updated Speakers to include new instrument sounds
Added a Switch object which triggers only one output based on a specified index
Added a Custom Event object which triggers all instances of an event when any instance of it is signaled
Added three new Filters including Equipment, Weapon, and Cached Entity Filters

Improvements to Logic and Object Functionality
Weapons now have a property that allows players to pick up weapons when touched
AI have two new properties to Set Stagger Percentage, and Enable/Disable Stagger
Players now have the On Health Percentage Reached output
New style properties have been added to Light objects to create light FX such as blinking, strobe, rotating, and more
Props and Player Blocking Volumes now have a Static property that will return their
Network budget value, but will disable all inputs (show, hide, etc) during a match
Updated the Inventory entity to manage multiple weapons
Updated Player Loadout object to include Demon Player race selection
The AI Conductor behavior can now be altered when entering a module
AI spawning can be inhibited in a module through logic
Module Environments can be changed during a match with logic
Friendly AI health bars and POIs can be hidden or shown
Hazard damage can be set to a Variable
Color properties are now shown in a color swatch
A large health bar is now available as an Objective
Use Alternative AI Drop Table that simulates Campaign drops from demon kills

Fixes
Fixed the Spend input to result in a Spend Failure if it causes a Player/Team Resource to fall below zero
Fixed Player Demon hand jittering
Fixed the Network cost of Lights. This may result in previous maps having a maxed network budget. Map authors may need to remove other networked objects or use the Static property on Props or Player Blocking Volumes that aren't altered using logic.

IronWing

No Lifer
Jul 20, 2001
Steam used to quietly download updates and I could play games while the updates downloaded. Doom, however, refuses to run while the update is being downloaded, very annoying. To make matters worse, my internet is flaky tonight so the update is slow. I tried pausing the update and running Steam in off-line mode. Doom says it can't run without an internet connection. This is weird behavior for a single player game.

2is

Diamond Member
Apr 8, 2012
I've never been able to play my Steam games while they're updating. If I tried, I'd get the box that lets me launch the game when ready. Meaning after the update had finished downloading and installing.

Cookie Monster

Diamond Member
May 7, 2005
Can't wait for the sequel. The devs are definitely listening and on the right direction with this new remake of doom.

My biggest gripes like all of you were the monster arenas. On top of limited demons at one time. I think this maybe attributed to the consoles holding PCs back. If they can mix in monster arenas + areas already populated by mass demons etc should be awesome. They need more demons on the screen imo.

Well thats what I felt the more I played this game. I actually wanted more demons as I progressed to blast them to bits! (finished on UV, started NM).

And they need to nerf the guass cannon!!

codyray10

Apr 14, 2008
I picked this up the other day on sale. Played through the first level last night using the crossfire 480 setup + vulkan @ 1440p, ultra settings. Game runs and looks great. Had some fun getting back to the old run and gun. I'll be increasing the difficulty some though for sure.

obidamnkenobi

Golden Member
Sep 16, 2010
On steam sale for $30. Worth it? Or wait for black friday or xmas sale and maybe get it for $15-20? Considering I might not have much time to play it between now and the anyway so tempted to wait. $30 is a little steep.

Are there any good custom maps/campaigns or is it basically just a 15 hr story and so-so multiplayer?

Last edited: