Doom (2016) Discussion

Page 26 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

jlee

Lifer
Sep 12, 2001
I agree, the game is repetitive.

This is how I describe it to my friends who don't own it:

10 Walk into new room
20 Destroy demons
30 GOTO 10

The whole "upgrade your weapons and suit" thing never did it for me - I never felt the impacts of those upgrades - perhaps because I played on "Don't hurt me."

Regardless, the above formula was hella fun and I will likely go back and repetitively go into new rooms and destroy demons.

I'm gonna go with 'yup.'

DeadFred

Platinum Member
Jun 4, 2011
What do you mean "repetitive"? Shooting stuff?

Well yeah, but the demo only had 3 different critters to shoot so it got old pretty quick.

I tried it with both Hurt me Plenty and Ultra Violence, and could definitely tell a difference in difficulty.

YBS1

Golden Member
May 14, 2000
Just downloaded the DEMO, the fps are constantly fluctuate from 20 to 60+ making me very dizzy.

CPU : Core i7 3770K @ 4.4GHz
R9 390 @ 1050MHz
Catalyst 16.6.1
Win 10 64bit

Any thoughts ?

I can't imagine it should run so poorly for you on that setup, it runs well on my 3930K/780SLI setup below (which SLI doesn't work so you should be better off with the 390). I'd check around the Rage forums and see if anyone is having issues with that Radeon driver or with certain in game settings really hurting the Radeons.

Cookie Monster

Diamond Member
May 7, 2005

10 Walk into new room
20 Destroy demons
30 GOTO 10

The whole "upgrade your weapons and suit" thing never did it for me - I never felt the impacts of those upgrades - perhaps because I played on "Don't hurt me."

Regardless, the above formula was hella fun and I will likely go back and repetitively go into new rooms and destroy demons.

Higher difficulties require these things. Its a must imo. Even the runes. The double jumping rune where you can move/rotate while jumping is a must.

Currently starting my NM run woot. UV was too easy!

gradoman

Mar 19, 2007
I enjoyed it a lot. 40+ hrs on Ultra Violence and 100% cause why not.

Last edited:

sze5003

Lifer
Aug 18, 2012
Quick question here. Since I've upgraded components i want to do a Windows reinstall. I have the game installed from steam on my data drive which I will unplug when I go to format my ssd and reinstall windows.

My saves are under the c drive under users which I've copied on a usb. Does anyone know if I can just paste them back once I reinstall steam? I also think steam is installed in my data drive as well.

MTDEW

Diamond Member
Oct 31, 1999
Quick question here. Since I've upgraded components i want to do a Windows reinstall. I have the game installed from steam on my data drive which I will unplug when I go to format my ssd and reinstall windows.

My saves are under the c drive under users which I've copied on a usb. Does anyone know if I can just paste them back once I reinstall steam? I also think steam is installed in my data drive as well.
Yep , that will work.
1: You'll still have to reinstall steam again "on top" of your steam install on the data drive.....so your fresh install of windows/registry has the correct path to your data drive steam install.
2: then i usually verify my game with steam and test it to be sure it works.
3: Then I copy/paste my saved games back to drive c:

note: if you're using steam cloud saves for this particular game, step 3 may not even be needed.

Last edited:

aigomorla

CPU, Cases&Cooling Mod PC Gaming Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 28, 2005
I have changed the title to Doom 2016 discussion as its no longer a preorder

Moderator Aigomorla

2is

Diamond Member
Apr 8, 2012

Game uses steam cloud, while not a bad idea to make a backup copy of your save game, it's not necessary to restore it unless somehow the cloud save is corrupt.

Aristotelian

Golden Member
Jan 30, 2010
So after upgrading my weapons a bit I'm having more fun. I find the shield/shotgun monster the hardest so far. I finally got to an area that shocked me, with those missile wraiths using the high jump pads and those large missile launcher spammers everywhere.

I made it, again almost running out of ammo even picking up everything in the arena area. I love the feel of this and that open battle reminded me of doom 2.

I think I made some mistakes in my praetor suit upgrades, notably the map aid and secret assist, because the secret assist seems to blink yellow whatever the altitude is, and there's no secret to be found. I'm not using YouTube spoilers to find secrets.

What do you guys think of those challenge power ups? I'm using the auto collect one but hope I come across some better ones.

exar333

Diamond Member
Feb 7, 2004
Stunning game! Have not had so much fun since.... well Crysis1?

Anyway,

How do I disable intro movies in steam version?

It does run super smooth on my R290 and 2600K. Great stuff.

Same observation!

This, Crysis and the original Far Cry are the only FPSs to hold my interest in a LONG time. Loving it.

you2

Diamond Member
Apr 2, 2002
Haven't play this yet but the last two wolfenstein were pretty darn good (but relatively short). Far cry was fanstastic; wasn't a big fan of crysis.

Same observation!

This, Crysis and the original Far Cry are the only FPSs to hold my interest in a LONG time. Loving it.

TechBoyJK

Lifer
Oct 17, 2002
Same observation!

Did you know one of the main designers/engineers of Crysis 1 was a lead engineer for DOOM?

There's probably a reason you liked Crysis 1 AND Doom......

2is

Diamond Member
Apr 8, 2012
Same observation!

I'm a fan of simple fun to play, graphically appealing shooters. Those games are among my favorites too. Far Cry goes slightly in a direction that is a bit distracting with needing to acquire animal skins to manufacture things, but it wasn't too bad.

exar333

Diamond Member
Feb 7, 2004
Did you know one of the main designers/engineers of Crysis 1 was a lead engineer for DOOM?

There's probably a reason you liked Crysis 1 AND Doom......

I did not, but that makes a lot of sense. I love the pacing in Doom that allows for both exploration AND hectic battles. It's a great mix, and I like hunting for the hidden stuff, which is actually worth it most times for upgrades.

DigDog

Lifer
Jun 3, 2011
i counted him missing three shots in the whole run. (maybe more i didnt notice, and he missed some individual bullets from swarms, but otherwise his accuracy is near 100%)

Carfax83

Diamond Member
Nov 1, 2010
i counted him missing three shots in the whole run. (maybe more i didnt notice, and he missed some individual bullets from swarms, but otherwise his accuracy is near 100%)

It was definitely more than three misses. Also, he ignored rather than attacked the vast majority of enemies. Doom isn't really that hard once you grasp the fact that movement is the key to victory.

If you stay still for too long, you will die..

exar333

Diamond Member
Feb 7, 2004
It was definitely more than three misses. Also, he ignored rather than attacked the vast majority of enemies. Doom isn't really that hard once you grasp the fact that movement is the key to victory.

If you stay still for too long, you will die..

And glitched the crap out of the game? Don't get me wrong, guy was crazy good, but skipped a lot of the game.

2is

Diamond Member
Apr 8, 2012

10 Walk into new room
20 Destroy demons
30 GOTO 10

You played on the easiest setting and complaining that the upgrades weren't necessary... :rolleyes:

Feb 16, 2005
Just got this on the Steam sale, and I'm having fun, it's definitely taxing my aging system, but I like the action so far and I'm barely an hour into it.