Doom (2016) Discussion

Page 24 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Carfax83

Diamond Member
Nov 1, 2010
I bet you didn't notice a difference visually?

Difference between ultra and nightmare is definitely noticeable, but it's not a huge difference. Textures are slightly more crisp with nightmare and it's the same for shadows, plus I think the draw distance is increased as well.

In game, you won't notice the difference between either the shadows or the textures unless you inspect them very closely though.

Anomaly1964

Platinum Member
Nov 21, 2010
Difference between ultra and nightmare is definitely noticeable, but it's not a huge difference. Textures are slightly more crisp with nightmare and it's the same for shadows, plus I think the draw distance is increased as well.

In game, you won't notice the difference between either the shadows or the textures unless you inspect them very closely though.

You dont have time to inspect anything closely anyway, YOU ARE ALWAYS RUNNING YOUR ASS OFF!!!

blotto

Feb 11, 2006
The question I have is do they make a difference and will it crash on a system with less then 5GB like the game says?

The texture option made a slight visual difference with minimal performance impact on my Fury X. The shadow option did have a considerable impact on framerate so I turned it off right away.

HeXen

Diamond Member
Dec 13, 2009

Can you post some comparison shots?

moonbogg

Lifer
Jan 8, 2011
I made it to the first real boss. Killed him easy on Mars, then I stole his magic thingy and it sent me to hell, and he respawned right there with me. Then he killed me. He was way harder in hell and its an awesome boss fight. Looks incredible. I'll try again to kill him but I went to bed after I died.

sze5003

Lifer
Aug 18, 2012
Made some more progress today. Destroyed the argent energy to the tower and then stopped there are the end of the level. Those medusa looking demons are annoying.

Carfax83

Diamond Member
Nov 1, 2010
Can you post some comparison shots?

As you can see, the shadows in nightmare appear to be crisper and have more volume. Texture differences on the other hand are very minor if not impossible to spot, at least in this screenshot. I've seen texture comparisons in reviews though that do show a difference between nightmare and ultra, but for the most part, they are very difficult to tell apart.

BTW make sure you expand the screenshots fully, otherwise you won't be able to see all the detail.

Nightmare
Ultra

Last edited:

sze5003

Lifer
Aug 18, 2012
As you can see, the shadows in nightmare appear to be crisper and have more volume. Texture differences on the other hand are very minor if not impossible to spot, at least in this screenshot. I've seen texture comparisons reviews though that do show a difference between nightmare and ultra, but for the most part, they are very difficult to tell apart.

Nightmare
Ultra
Nightmare looks a bit more condensed with brightness. Either way it looks very good. I kind of wish it looked like that for me. The only two settings I don't have on ultra are shadows and lighting but it's not as crisp as those shots.

Carfax83

Diamond Member
Nov 1, 2010
Nightmare looks a bit more condensed with brightness. Either way it looks very good. I kind of wish it looked like that for me. The only two settings I don't have on ultra are shadows and lighting but it's not as crisp as those shots.

You expanded the screenshots right? Other than that, that area was fairly dynamic with mist floating around. It may have impacted the lighting somewhat.

sze5003

Lifer
Aug 18, 2012
Yea it could be that I'm just very close to my monitor and it's also not the best monitor either but I'm just glad I get from 40-100fps in most areas.

moonbogg

Lifer
Jan 8, 2011
Yea it could be that I'm just very close to my monitor and it's also not the best monitor either but I'm just glad I get from 40-100fps in most areas.

Do you have sharpness set to level 4? Sharpness actually makes a huge difference in image quality IMO without hurting FPS.

sze5003

Lifer
Aug 18, 2012
Do you have sharpness set to level 4? Sharpness actually makes a huge difference in image quality IMO without hurting FPS.
I'll have to check. Should that be turned off? I don't think I messed with that.

Last edited:

Cookie Monster

Diamond Member
May 7, 2005
Wow this game is blowing me away.

Its SO REFRESHING. I can't remember the last time I had to really look hard to find them secrets (found the DB so early in the game woot) or the game not hand holding me to the next stage in a very linear fashion. I think ive died more from jumping into my death to see if I can grab that ledge than from the demons. Only gripe is no quick save..

Currently playing on UV (why not?) and find it somewhat easy for now (up to the part where you come back from Hell at you get sucked in at the top of the Argent Tower). The fights feel so adrenaline rushing especially with the music (Mick Gordon did an awesome job). Having the time of my life ripping and tearing. None of that stand still take cover realistic shooter mechanics. It was weird at the beginning when I kept pressing R (habit from all the modern games) to reload. Now im use to it and find it so much better not to think about reloading.

They really nailed this one and im already looking forward to the sequel or prequel (maybe medieval weapons to rip and tear? *doom guy grin face*).

Highly recommended for all you fellow ATers. The idea of formula over innovation really worked big time.

Anomaly1964

Platinum Member
Nov 21, 2010
Wow this game is blowing me away.

Its SO REFRESHING. I can't remember the last time I had to really look hard to find them secrets (found the DB so early in the game woot) or the game not hand holding me to the next stage in a very linear fashion. I think ive died more from jumping into my death to see if I can grab that ledge than from the demons. Only gripe is no quick save..

Currently playing on UV (why not?) and find it somewhat easy for now (up to the part where you come back from Hell at you get sucked in at the top of the Argent Tower). The fights feel so adrenaline rushing especially with the music (Mick Gordon did an awesome job). Having the time of my life ripping and tearing. None of that stand still take cover realistic shooter mechanics. It was weird at the beginning when I kept pressing R (habit from all the modern games) to reload. Now im use to it and find it so much better not to think about reloading.

They really nailed this one and im already looking forward to the sequel or prequel (maybe medieval weapons to rip and tear? *doom guy grin face*).

Highly recommended for all you fellow ATers. The idea of formula over innovation really worked big time.

Yeah, I still find myself hitting R to reload sometime...LOL!

It would be cool if they could show a damaged face for your health!

MetalMat

Diamond Member
Jun 14, 2004
Had low expectations after the Doom 3 disappointment. Watched some let's plays and damn does this game look fun as hell, doubt my laptop can run it which sucks.

Mar 10, 2006
This game is just amazing. I am on my 2nd run-through on UV, trying to find all of the secrets & rune trials.

Also, this thing runs fantastically on a GTX 1080 at 2560x1440 all maxed out. Routinely well over 100FPS. For a game this gorgeous, I would have expected much lower FPS. The id technical team did not disappoint, nor did the art team.

moonbogg

Lifer
Jan 8, 2011
I'll have to check. Should that be turned off? I don't think I messed with that.

I ignored it until someone mentioned it in here. I turned it up all the way and it improved the clarity of the image substantially without a hit to FPS from what I can tell. I suggest turning it up to see how you like it. It really sharpens things up and makes it look crisp.

sze5003

Lifer
Aug 18, 2012
I ignored it until someone mentioned it in here. I turned it up all the way and it improved the clarity of the image substantially without a hit to FPS from what I can tell. I suggest turning it up to see how you like it. It really sharpens things up and makes it look crisp.
Yup I did turn it up to max which I think is 4. Things do look a lot better and I also don't think it hurts the fps much either.

Carfax83

Diamond Member
Nov 1, 2010
Yup I did turn it up to max which I think is 4. Things do look a lot better and I also don't think it hurts the fps much either.

I was the one that recommended it to moonbogg. Sharpening filter really helps to make the textures look better in games that use virtual texturing like Doom 2016, Rage, Wolfenstein TNO etcetera...

Carfax83

Diamond Member
Nov 1, 2010
This game is just amazing. I am on my 2nd run-through on UV, trying to find all of the secrets & rune trials.

Also, this thing runs fantastically on a GTX 1080 at 2560x1440 all maxed out. Routinely well over 100FPS. For a game this gorgeous, I would have expected much lower FPS. The id technical team did not disappoint, nor did the art team.

I agree, ID really surpassed themselves with Doom 2016, both in terms of gameplay and technology. They used to be on the cutting edge of game engine development, but lost it after Rage which made it's debut on ID Tech 5. To be fair though, ID Tech 5 was held back enormously by the memory constraints of the PS3 and Xbox 360, otherwise it would have looked a lot better.

Off topic, where did you buy your GTX 1080 from? I still don't see any in stock at Newegg! o_O Amazon has some founders editions but they are all selling way over market value, though that's not to say that I would buy a F.E card.

Scalpers are having a field day with this one! D:

Fenixgoon

Lifer
Jun 30, 2003
anyone having issues with text on screen being compressed (tooltips, etc.) while in game, but the rest of the game is rendered properly?

Cookie Monster

Diamond Member
May 7, 2005
Just had my first boss fight in the game. Thought it was easy til.. well you know. Luckily I got by in my second attempt. Interesting fight instead of being a bullet sponge/circle strafing 24/7.

Actually Im finding out that I die more in rune trials and missing ledges more so than the actual fighting!