Doom (2016) Discussion

Page 23 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

BSim500

Golden Member
Jun 5, 2013
Glass, can and does, cause this effect in real life. I have seen it, with my own eyes, looking through my glasses as well. So, don't give my any more BS about it only happening to camera lenses.
I don't know why you're obsessed with this. As I explained when you asked what CA was, trying to mimic a broken camera lens is the intention of the developer which is why "film grain", etc, is alongside it whether you're wearing a helmet or not. If you have a prism in your spectacles and leave them in the sun you may see a rainbow effect coming out of them. But if you're seeing CA color fringing and outline breakup through your glasses in real life, then you need new glasses. Or eye surgery. That's not normal. I wear them too and don't see anything like that. Looking at a tree right now through glasses + double glazed windows with the sun shining on both = everything is sharp and as clear as day. (Also don't confuse the slight green / purple tint often caused by anti-reflective coatings with CA). And if you really are "seeing CA normally through your glasses", then you obviously don't need to add a second artificial layer of it in-game, right?... Likewise, if you want to nitpick over "extreme realism of helmet color distortion", we already have distortion free combat visors today. Using simple low-cost, low distortion Achromatic materials is obvious common sense for critical life or death, high situational awareness applications, yes? Personally, I see zero value in further circular theorising over the "realism" of why your billion dollar 2047 super-suit suffers from easily correctable vision problems that a simple real life $500 combat visor fixed in the 90's (or why video game artists portrayal of technology is rarely 'realistic' anyway)... :D

The only reason to turn it off is because somebody doesn't like the effect.
And many people don't like it as it reduces sharpness of high resolution textures, and generally gets in the way of the action (particularly of fast-paced competitive shooters where a lot of people turn off / down environmental distractions to better focus on spotting enemy movement earlier), hence the lack of responses for your repeated demands for screenshots. As I said, if you personally like the effect, keep it on. Many of us that don't will turn it off. "Problem" solved all round...

2is

Diamond Member
Apr 8, 2012
I just ran DOOM on my 7970 setup and was wondering why I was only getting 20 fps and realized I was at nightmare settings from playing it on my main machine. (graphics settings get saved to steam cloud apparently)

So if you want to test your luck with nightmare and the game won't let you, and know someone with a >4GB video card, have them log into your steam account (if you trust them) run the game, set the settings and exit.

sze5003

Lifer
Aug 18, 2012
I just ran DOOM on my 7970 setup and was wondering why I was only getting 20 fps and realized I was at nightmare settings from playing it on my main machine. (graphics settings get saved to steam cloud apparently)

So if you want to test your luck with nightmare and the game won't let you, and know someone with a >4GB video card, have them log into your steam account (if you trust them) run the game, set the settings and exit.
Isnt nightmare the difficulty setting? I only have low, medium, high, ultra settings available under video and advanced video.

2is

Diamond Member
Apr 8, 2012
Isnt nightmare the difficulty setting? I only have low, medium, high, ultra settings available under video and advanced video.

The preset only goes to Ultra, but then you can go adjust individual settings to Nightmare. There are like 2 or 3 that can be set to nightmare.

sze5003

Lifer
Aug 18, 2012
The preset only goes to Ultra, but then you can go adjust individual settings to Nightmare. There are like 2 or 3 that can be set to nightmare.
Interesting I haven't noticed that at all. I'm not going to bother setting them since my fps is random as it is.

blake0812

Feb 6, 2014
Honestly, does this game really need Vulkan? It seems to run very well for many people. What is the purpose for adding it if it's just for performance?

cmdrdredd

Lifer
Dec 12, 2001

Hrm, does it lock you out if you can't run it? I can't seem to set anything to nightmare.

Edit: actually there are two settings that allow nightmare and they are virtual texturing page size and shadows quality. It tells me I need 5GB of vram to enable it lol. Other than that there aren't any others that go to nightmare.

Last edited:

2is

Diamond Member
Apr 8, 2012
Hrm, does it lock you out if you can't run it? I can't seem to set anything to nightmare.

Edit: actually there are two settings that allow nightmare and they are virtual texturing page size and shadows quality. It tells me I need 5GB of vram to enable it lol. Other than that there aren't any others that go to nightmare.

Yeah those are the ones, and yeah it won't let you select them if you don't have enough VRAM... Unless you apply the workaround I accidently stumbled on to.

sze5003

Lifer
Aug 18, 2012
I try and play a little bit each other day or so. I figure once I finish it will have a new gpu and might play it again after I get back into Witcher 3.

cmdrdredd

Lifer
Dec 12, 2001
I think I'm near the end now, and it didn't take as long as I thought. It's a very good shooter. Not much for story but it's enough to give you some direction as to the why things are happening and what you need to do about it. I actually really like the codex but wish there was more back story and lore available about the doom marine and the guys in the ancient medieval looking armor. I love the BFG but kind of wish it wasn't an extra and was part of your regular arsenal. Suppose I understand they didn't want it to be too OP.

blotto

Feb 11, 2006
Yeah those are the ones, and yeah it won't let you select them if you don't have enough VRAM... Unless you apply the workaround I accidently stumbled on to.

or add "+menu_advanced_AllowAllSettings 1" (Without the quotes) to your steam launch options. That will allow you to select those two nightmare options regardless of VRAM.

2is

Diamond Member
Apr 8, 2012
or add "+menu_advanced_AllowAllSettings 1" (Without the quotes) to your steam launch options. That will allow you to select those two nightmare options regardless of VRAM.

Good tip :thumbsup:

cmdrdredd

Lifer
Dec 12, 2001

The question I have is do they make a difference and will it crash on a system with less then 5GB like the game says?

sze5003

Lifer
Aug 18, 2012
The question I have is do they make a difference and will it crash on a system with less then 5GB like the game says?
I think it would. I'm not trying it. The heavy fan sounds my PC makes when I'm playing this game like a 747 about to take off, don't want to imagine what happens if I enable it lol.

Eric1987

Mar 22, 2012
I think it would. I'm not trying it. The heavy fan sounds my PC makes when I'm playing this game like a 747 about to take off, don't want to imagine what happens if I enable it lol.

Uh your fans dont ramp up to 100% during every video game?

sze5003

Lifer
Aug 18, 2012
Uh your fans dont ramp up to 100% during every video game?
They do ramp up but I don't recall it being this loud. I also haven't played on my PC in months and the last game I played was Witcher 3. So it could just be me not being used to it since 90% of the time it's pretty quiet.

I do have the CPU overclocked now but it will only go to 4.2 and I haven't overclocked it at all since I built it.

Kind of waiting to buy a 1070 gtx but with amd not releasing any info until end of June or July I'm stuck waiting. I feel like I'm due for an upgrade but it also seems like every time I want to upgrade I'm just stuck waiting.

james1701

Golden Member
Sep 14, 2007
On my 980X system with 6GB and 7970Ghz, it plays medium settings pretty good. It averages around 58fps, but I do get mins of 29fps in a few sections.

moonbogg

Lifer
Jan 8, 2011
I will make some serious progress this weekend on this game. I've been locked into rocket league again lately, but tonight is DOOM time baby.