Doom (2016) Discussion

Page 22 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

cmdrdredd

Lifer
Dec 12, 2001
Most likely because those that play cod are used to getting rewarded extra perks to induce more damage. That and the whole you must be level x to get OP gun.

What does that do? I left it on but I didn't think it would affect anything.

It attempts to simulate the effect of a camera lens not being able to bring all wavelengths of color into focus. In other words it creates smudged colors in a vain attempt to be cinematic. I disabled it in the witcher 3 as well.

Last edited:

sze5003

Lifer
Aug 18, 2012
It attempts to simulate the effect of a camera lens not being able to bring all wavelengths of color into focus. In other words it creates smudged colors in a vein attempt to be cinematic. I disabled it in the witcher 3 as well.
Haha thanks yea that's getting turned off as well.

frowertr

Golden Member
Apr 17, 2010
So I've finished the game and have been going back through the levels to acquire all the secrets and I'm a bit miffed that you can't "Continue" a selected level. So if you quit or the game crashes, you are forced to start the level over from scratch. You can't skip the cinematic events either each time you enter the desired level. At least the secrets you found are still saved so at least you don't have to re-find them over again.

YBS1

Golden Member
May 14, 2000
So I've finished the game and have been going back through the levels to acquire all the secrets and I'm a bit miffed that you can't "Continue" a selected level. So if you quit or the game crashes, you are forced to start the level over from scratch. You can't skip the cinematic events either each time you enter the desired level. At least the secrets you found are still saved so at least you don't have to re-find them over again.

Yeah, that's kind of annoying but I think they did it that way so that you didn't accidentally overwrite your game progress at a higher level if you went back to revisit a level before completing the campaign.

Raduque

Lifer
Aug 22, 2004
It attempts to simulate the effect of a camera lens not being able to bring all wavelengths of color into focus. In other words it creates smudged colors in a vain attempt to be cinematic. I disabled it in the witcher 3 as well.

TBF its a very subtle and well-done effect, plus you ARE looking through an armored visor.

2is

Diamond Member
Apr 8, 2012
The OP of that thread said a reboot worked for him. Might be a silly question, but it needs to be asked... Have you tried that?

Anomaly1964

Platinum Member
Nov 21, 2010
The OP of that thread said a reboot worked for him. Might be a silly question, but it needs to be asked... Have you tried that?

Yes...what most have had to do for that level only is go to borderless windowed mode and lower resolution...

I am at work and have not had time to try it yet...

Hope it works...

cmdrdredd

Lifer
Dec 12, 2001
TBF its a very subtle and well-done effect, plus you ARE looking through an armored visor.

I disagree and find it distracting. A visor on a suit of armor that advanced would likely be more clear as it isn't a camera lens absorbing light.

BSim500

Golden Member
Jun 5, 2013
its a very subtle and well-done effect, plus you ARE looking through an armored visor.

Can you point it out to me on a screenshot?
CA varies from game to game but often looks like this. They don't nickname it "Chromatic Abhorration" for nothing. It's one of the most nonsensical, unrealistic, irritating and widely despised effects to have plagued games over the past few years. Same goes with "Film Grain" (an aberration of processed silver halide based photographic film). Why on earth would you be "seeing" that in real time anywhere, let alone trying to intentionally mimick it as an "enhancement" by trying to copy a non-existent 35mm film camera flicking past a series of 35mm negatives at 60fps that your in-game avatar inexplicably has for eyeball replacements? As cmdrdredd said, your "viewpoint" in rendered games is not created by any light capturing camera. Although your eyeball's capture light (and by extension your in-game avatar's if you were him), they don't suffer from the same blur / color separation problems as optical camera zoom lenses nor work anywhere near as badly as game developers believe in almost every one of their "enhancing" post-processing FX (CA, Depth of Field, Motion Blur, Film Grain, Vignetting, etc). Intentionally adding "defective optical camera imitation shaders" (which is exactly what a lot of this stuff is) to a camera-less rendered video game makes about as much sense as adding severe "sewer pipe" audio reverb to the soundscape when you're standing in an open field.

The only good thing about seeing "Chromatic Aberration" in your game menu is the "Disable" button sitting next to it... ;)

Last edited:

sze5003

Lifer
Aug 18, 2012
CA varies from game to game but often looks like this. They don't nickname it "Chromatic Abhorration" for nothing. It's one of the most nonsensical, unrealistic, irritating and widely despised effects to have plagued games over the past few years. Same goes with "Film Grain" (an aberration of processed silver halide based photographic film). Why on earth would you be "seeing" that in real time anywhere, let alone trying to intentionally mimick it as an "enhancement" by trying to copy a non-existent 35mm film camera flicking past a series of 35mm negatives at 60fps that your in-game avatar inexplicably has for eyeball replacements? As cmdrdredd said, your "viewpoint" in rendered games is not created by any light capturing camera. Although your eyeball's capture light (and by extension your in-game avatar's if you were him), they don't suffer from the same blur / color separation problems as optical camera zoom lenses nor work anywhere near as badly as game developers believe in almost every one of their "enhancing" post-processing FX (CA, Depth of Field, Motion Blur, Film Grain, Vignetting, etc). Intentionally adding "defective optical camera imitation shaders" (which is exactly what a lot of this stuff is) to a camera-less rendered video game makes about as much sense as adding severe "sewer pipe" audio reverb to the soundscape when you're standing in an open field.

The only good thing about seeing "Chromatic Aberration" in your game menu is the "Disable" button sitting next to it... ;)
Yea I turned that off in crisis. Half of these settings I don't even know what they are and sometimes it's probably worse that I leave them on and hinder my performance when half the time I wouldn't be able to tell a difference.

It doesn't look as excessive in doom though. The only big difference for me is lighting on ultra vs high. On ultra lighting my fps sucks but everything is just super shiny in a way. Didn't really like it like that anyway.

I should probably turn off motion blur too since I haven't noticed it either with it on.

Raduque

Lifer
Aug 22, 2004

That is a screenshot of Crysis and not DOOM. Kindly point it out in a screenshot of DOOM. I have it on in my settings, and I cannot see it.

Crysis, as it happens, is also a game about looking through a visor in the helmet of a high-tech suit of armor. Armor that takes a lot of punishment, armor that is very tough but not indestructible.

sze5003

Lifer
Aug 18, 2012
Made it to the meltdown level tonite. Those giant ogre looking demons are a pain. I still have upgrade tokens to use that I have not paid attention to. I keep running out of ammo and I've used two Vega upgrades in the suite one for ammo the other for health.

2is

Diamond Member
Apr 8, 2012
Made it to the meltdown level tonite. Those giant ogre looking demons are a pain. I still have upgrade tokens to use that I have not paid attention to. I keep running out of ammo and I've used two Vega upgrades in the suite one for ammo the other for health.

I had problems with running out of ammo too, need to get those glory kills whenever possible. They'll reward you with ammo when you're low.

BSim500

Golden Member
Jun 5, 2013
Kindly point it out in a screenshot of DOOM. I have it on in my settings, and I cannot see it.
If you have it on and can't see it, then ironically that's an open admission of how pointless "broken lens simulator" shaders really are. Either they're so subtle they're unnoticeable (and you lose nothing turning it off), or they annoy gamers and they turn it off. The reason you can't find any screenshot on the net is because that's the first thing everyone generally disables:-

"In order to provide crisp visuals, we’ve disabled Chromatic Aberration:-"
http://www.dsogaming.com/screenshot-news/doom-4k-resolution-screenshots-from-closed-beta-phase/

Crysis, as it happens, is also a game about looking through a visor in the helmet of a high-tech suit of armor. Armor that takes a lot of punishment, armor that is very tough but not indestructible.
The effect isn't there because you're looking through a helmet, (you're still "seeing" with eyeballs, not faulty camera lenses) it's there due to some weird obsession with games devs trying to mimick some non-existent "35mm camera" as a 'replacement' for your eyes. The only game you could make an excuse for this stuff is where you're actually "seeing" with camera lenses inside your head (eg, The Talos Principle). And even then most gamers turn it off simply because it's irritating and has the effect of blurring out color which defeats the whole object of putting colorful high resolution textures in games in the first place (see above comment about "crisp visuals").

If you're one of the 1% of gamers who likes it, go ahead and enable it. But the fact no-one anywhere is posting screenshots for you (or how for Doom, it has to be nerfed down to the point of being unnoticeable to not annoy everyone) kinda tells you how unpopular it is... ;)

sze5003

Lifer
Aug 18, 2012
I turned it off last night, chromatic abrasion and yea I didn't notice anything else. I still need to mess with settings and see what the best visual mix would be for me.

n0x1ous

Platinum Member
Sep 9, 2010
Anyone else disappointed by disappearing corpses? I can understand having them vanish on console, but on PC it would have been nice to have a slider to keep them for a certain amount of time and revel in your path of destruction.

That's one of the things I loved about original Doom seeing a room littered with corpses and them still being there when you came back through.

cmdrdredd

Lifer
Dec 12, 2001
Anyone else disappointed by disappearing corpses? I can understand having them vanish on console, but on PC it would have been nice to have a slider to keep them for a certain amount of time and revel in your path of destruction.

That's one of the things I loved about original Doom seeing a room littered with corpses and them still being there when you came back through.

I can only imagine how much that would hammer the fps and hog the memory. :)

moonbogg

Lifer
Jan 8, 2011

When you kill them on Mars, they become souls again and get transported back to hell. When you kill them in hell, they become souls again and get transported back to Mars. I thought everyone knew this.

n0x1ous

Platinum Member
Sep 9, 2010
I can only imagine how much that would hammer the fps and hog the memory. :)

I max it out at 1440p at about 90fps so I could just use the other 980ti to handle this part. Vulcan should let them split the memory. Come on id make it happen!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

n0x1ous

Platinum Member
Sep 9, 2010
When you kill them on Mars, they become souls again and get transported back to hell. When you kill them in hell, they become souls again and get transported back to Mars. I thought everyone knew this.

Fine fine. Souls can leave; the corpse should remain!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sze5003

Lifer
Aug 18, 2012
I really need to get another card this June. Trying to max it out at 1080 and the fps is all over the place.

Raduque

Lifer
Aug 22, 2004
If you have it on and can't see it, then ironically that's an open admission of how pointless "broken lens simulator" shaders really are. Either they're so subtle they're unnoticeable (and you lose nothing turning it off), or they annoy gamers and they turn it off. The reason you can't find any screenshot on the net is because that's the first thing everyone generally disables:-

"In order to provide crisp visuals, we’ve disabled Chromatic Aberration:-"
http://www.dsogaming.com/screenshot-news/doom-4k-resolution-screenshots-from-closed-beta-phase/

The effect isn't there because you're looking through a helmet, (you're still "seeing" with eyeballs, not faulty camera lenses) it's there due to some weird obsession with games devs trying to mimick some non-existent "35mm camera" as a 'replacement' for your eyes. The only game you could make an excuse for this stuff is where you're actually "seeing" with camera lenses inside your head (eg, The Talos Principle). And even then most gamers turn it off simply because it's irritating and has the effect of blurring out color which defeats the whole object of putting colorful high resolution textures in games in the first place (see above comment about "crisp visuals").

If you're one of the 1% of gamers who likes it, go ahead and enable it. But the fact no-one anywhere is posting screenshots for you (or how for Doom, it has to be nerfed down to the point of being unnoticeable to not annoy everyone) kinda tells you how unpopular it is... ;)

Glass, can and does, cause this effect in real life. I have seen it, with my own eyes, looking through my glasses as well. So, don't give my any more BS about it only happening to camera lenses.

The only reason to turn it off is because somebody doesn't like the effect. But stop telling me it's unrealistic, because it happens, and I've seen it.