Doom (2016) Discussion

Page 21 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

sze5003

Lifer
Aug 18, 2012
I thought the original Doom sucked but I didn't try it until several years after it was released, Unreal spoiled me hard back then. Still haven't' been able to get this game to play...when will a patch be released?
Patch for what? I haven't been noticing any issues? Are talking about the deleted saves ? Mine has only crashed once randomly.

Voxata

Jun 26, 2012
Mine has crashed a couple times on the random, but this honestly has been one of the best FPS games (SP) that I've EVER played. It was just a treat start to finish. That last boss fight though... it wasn't cinematic heavy but what the ending did have was flatout amazing.

sxr7171

Diamond Member
Jun 21, 2002
My early PC gaming experiences were pretty bad as well, had an SIS integrated I think it was, Half Life ran only a few frames and garbled sound. The TNT Riva or whatever it was didn't fare much better but I couldn't download drivers cause I had no internet.
I ended up having to get a Voodoo and AOL, get new drivers and finally I got some playability.

Half Life ran great on the Riva TNT for me.

n0x1ous

Platinum Member
Sep 9, 2010
I got the BFG9000 last night. Holy balls. That's a nice gun.

And they just absolutely nailed the look of it. you can feel the original in it but its so sharp and well done.

I still can't believe how good this game turned out after all the development hell. Just a fantastic achievement for id and for FPS purists

moonbogg

Lifer
Jan 8, 2011
Pair it with the rune stone that causes demons to drop ammo, once upgraded they will drop BFG ammo as well.

This I will do. Do this I will.

And they just absolutely nailed the look of it. you can feel the original in it but its so sharp and well done.

I still can't believe how good this game turned out after all the development hell. Just a fantastic achievement for id and for FPS purists

For sure. It really does feel very unique. I've never played a game like this, yet it remains true to its roots. They surprised me quite a lot with this game. It is a rare thing we got with this one.

SexyK

Golden Member
Jul 30, 2001
Just dropping in to say how pleasantly surprised I've been with this game. Perfect blend of modern technology and throwback game play. I love the fact that they've added some layers of customization, etc., while still keeping it simple. Runs like a dream also.

Most fun I've had in a LONG time in a SP FPS. Well done id!

Oct 9, 1999
Can't say enough how special this game has been for me. Runs great, looks fantastic and is the only SP game I've played 20+ hours in a week in a LONG time, if ever. MAYBE FO4.

Doom is the shit, period.

Phanuel

Platinum Member
Apr 25, 2008
With good aim and uranium rounds, super shotgun is a monster. It will outright kill weak/average enemies with one shot, and stagger the strong ones until you can get a next shot off and finish them off...

Exploding shells stagger and the range is so much better. There's no range on the SSG. And that'll get you murdered quickly.

I used to think that as well about the plasma rifle, but then I realized all of the projectiles weren't really connecting with the enemies. Once I started to focus my aim a bit more, the plasma rifle is now my second favorite weapon; after the super shotgun.

Meh, it's still trash. It's good for stunning and that's it. Why waste a bunch of time having to lead a target when you can just hit nearly anything in the head with the charged siege gauss and one shot them.

HeXen

Diamond Member
Dec 13, 2009
Since Id's looking for a senior physics programmer, rumors stir of a new Quake. Perhaps arena style, fast paced gaming will make another comeback after that long popularity of COD style gaming.

Patch for what? I haven't been noticing any issues? Are talking about the deleted saves ? Mine has only crashed once randomly.

CTD's. I've read many were experiencing them but for me, I can't even load the initial level of the game, it will CTD at about 75% of level loaded. So I was waiting for a patch so perhaps I could actually get to play the damn thing.

Half Life ran great on the Riva TNT for me.

But as I said, I did not have the internet then, so therefore I couldn't get new drivers other than what it came with. The Voodoo probably came with better drivers but even after I got new ones for it, games like Kingpin were pretty hard to run smoothly. I would think that would have been a bigger problem back in those days since a larger portion of people didn't even have dial up yet.

Last edited:

hondaf17

Sep 25, 2005
You guys are all raving about this game. Seems like a very consistent positive rating. I'll have to pick it up when it goes on sale.

sze5003

Lifer
Aug 18, 2012
You guys are all raving about this game. Seems like a very consistent positive rating. I'll have to pick it up when it goes on sale.
I watched the thread for a while and made sure I would be able to run it and enjoy it before I bought. I'm pretty happy with how it runs for my old card. Very happy that it's really fun to tear a demon hand off and crush their own skull with it.

Anomaly1964

Platinum Member
Nov 21, 2010
Just dropping in to say how pleasantly surprised I've been with this game. Perfect blend of modern technology and throwback game play. I love the fact that they've added some layers of customization, etc., while still keeping it simple. Runs like a dream also.

Most fun I've had in a LONG time in a SP FPS. Well done id!

Yes...I told my son that you do have SOME options, but it's a SHOOTER, NOT an RPG...

SexyK

Golden Member
Jul 30, 2001
Yes...I told my son that you do have SOME options, but it's a SHOOTER, NOT an RPG...

This is one of the things I love most about it. Not sure if it's just because I grew up on simple pleasures (e.g. the original DOOM), or if it's just that I'm older and don't have the time/patience/space in my brain to spend hours in menus managing my inventory, picking my way through an18-level skill tree, or comparing 100 different versions of the same weapon to figure out which one is best, etc., but there's something so refreshing about just playing a well-designed game where the point is to shoot demons with awesome weapons.

Crafting, skill trees, resource management, etc. all have their place in modern gaming, but this kind of FPS is not their place, and id took that premise to its logical conclusion here. LOVE IT.

moonbogg

Lifer
Jan 8, 2011
Since Id's looking for a senior physics programmer, rumors stir of a new Quake. Perhaps arena style, fast paced gaming will make another comeback after that long popularity of COD style gaming.

At first, I was skeptical based on the DOOM mp beta, but now I am still surprised at how well they did with DOOM. I can see them riding their success with DOOM really damn far.
I can easily see them pulling off a new Quake single player game and a great multiplayer portion as well. Imagine a new Quake game? A good old fashioned single player Quake?!
If they have the rights to Duke Nukem or if they can get them, I can see a badass and proper Duke Nukem coming from these guys as well. If they did this good of a job with DOOM, I have full confidence that they can breathe life back into all of those classic titles. I can see a new Quake arena MP game kicking ass with these guys at the wheel.

I watched the thread for a while and made sure I would be able to run it and enjoy it before I bought. I'm pretty happy with how it runs for my old card. Very happy that it's really fun to tear a demon hand off and crush their own skull with it.

I thought the glory kills would be a mundane distraction that I wouldn't ever bother to use, but they are actually an integral part of the game and I enjoy using them. They are creative and satisfying to use. Ripping off a demon's horn and jabbing it in it's eye? That's badass. They made sure it was badass. And it is badass.
And yes, the game runs awesome on lots of hardware. People can play this game. You don't have to spend some seriously twisted, evil amounts of money to get a great experience from this game and have it look awesome at the same time.

Last edited:

cmdrdredd

Lifer
Dec 12, 2001
Just picked up the game today for $20 after trading in Uncharted 4 for PS4 which I finished yesterday which was worth $40. Just started installing. Can't wait to see it.

The thing that seems most impressive is that you don't need monster hardware to run it well at good visual settings. Other developers can learn something here. You don't need a 980ti for 60fps at 1080p. So many games come out that demand too much hardware due to what I'll just call developer laziness. They may not have actually been lazy but I don't know what else to really call it.

Last edited:

Artorias

Platinum Member
Feb 8, 2014
This was basically ID's last kick at the can and it looks like they got it right. Good to see them comeback.

I am still honestly shocked at all the positive reviews and I too might pick this up in the next sale.

Hopefully with this success they can now create a new series going forward.

sze5003

Lifer
Aug 18, 2012
At first, I was skeptical based on the DOOM mp beta, but now I am still surprised at how well they did with DOOM. I can see them riding their success with DOOM really damn far.
I can easily see them pulling off a new Quake single player game and a great multiplayer portion as well. Imagine a new Quake game? A good old fashioned single player Quake?!
If they have the rights to Duke Nukem or if they can get them, I can see a badass and proper Duke Nukem coming from these guys as well. If they did this good of a job with DOOM, I have full confidence that they can breathe life back into all of those classic titles. I can see a new Quake arena MP game kicking ass with these guys at the wheel.

I thought the glory kills would be a mundane distraction that I wouldn't ever bother to use, but they are actually an integral part of the game and I enjoy using them. They are creative and satisfying to use. Ripping off a demon's horn and jabbing it in it's eye? That's badass. They made sure it was badass. And it is badass.
And yes, the game runs awesome on lots of hardware. People can play this game. You don't have to spend some seriously twisted, evil amounts of money to get a great experience from this game and have it look awesome at the same time.
Yea the glory kills are actually required at some points when you lose health. I also like how the chainsaw gives you extra ammo for a kill too. I find myself doing the glory kills every chance I get.
Just picked up the game today for $20 after trading in Uncharted 4 for PS4 which I finished yesterday which was worth $40. Just started installing. Can't wait to see it.

The thing that seems most impressive is that you don't need monster hardware to run it well at good visual settings. Other developers can learn something here. You don't need a 980ti for 60fps at 1080p. So many games come out that demand too much hardware due to what I'll just call developer laziness. They may not have actually been lazy but I don't know what else to really call it.
I'm surprised I can run it on ultra minus two settings and still get 50+ fps in some areas. I will say that it does dip into 40's sometimes but no big deal. One thing I need to do is turn off the hardware performance counter, should help a bit.

cmdrdredd

Lifer
Dec 12, 2001
I am running the game at 1080p all ultra and Max in game anti aliasing and getting a solid 60fps. The game is friggen fast too.

What rendering mode is everyone using? Can't decide if I like the sharper image that you get from gritty or the more atmospheric default.

sze5003

Lifer
Aug 18, 2012
I am running the game at 1080p all ultra and Max in game anti aliasing and getting a solid 60fps. The game is friggen fast too.

What rendering mode is everyone using? Can't decide if I like the sharper image that you get from gritty or the more atmospheric default.
I'm using 8x TSA and I turned film grain off.

HeXen

Diamond Member
Dec 13, 2009

Yeah, I have a feeling the old school fast paced gameplay will be a trend among other developers too because the COD stuff has been dragged out for quite some time and youngsters today likely never even played older titles. So it will seem refreshing for sure.
Plus the way kids are all ADHD anyway half the time, I'm surprised they haven't latched onto arena shooters before but probably because all their friends was on COD.

sze5003

Lifer
Aug 18, 2012
Yeah, I have a feeling the old school fast paced gameplay will be a trend among other developers too because the COD stuff has been dragged out for quite some time and youngsters today likely never even played older titles. So it will seem refreshing for sure.
Plus the way kids are all ADHD anyway half the time, I'm surprised they haven't latched onto arena shooters before but probably because all their friends was on COD.
Most likely because those that play cod are used to getting rewarded extra perks to induce more damage. That and the whole you must be level x to get OP gun.
Yeah I turned that off along with chromatic aberration
What does that do? I left it on but I didn't think it would affect anything.