Doom (2016) Discussion

Page 20 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Carfax83

Diamond Member
Nov 1, 2010
Anyone mind helping out another forum member?

So, to keep from having to download the full 50GB of game files, I simply went to friend who had already done so. Purchased the game and copied his game files to the correct directory. Problem is I forgot to get the app manifest file in:

\Steam\common\appmanifest_379720.acf

Because of this, Steam won't recognize the game files and wants to download all 50GB, even though it's already on my hard drive.

The small file can be opened with a text editor. Would anyone mind sending me their file? Don't worry...there's nothing that can compromise your account and even if there was, I'm completely trustworthy. :)

Check your inbox.

Childs

Lifer
Jul 9, 2000
Anyone mind helping out another forum member?

So, to keep from having to download the full 50GB of game files, I simply went to friend who had already done so. Purchased the game and copied his game files to the correct directory. Problem is I forgot to get the app manifest file in:

\Steam\common\appmanifest_379720.acf

Because of this, Steam won't recognize the game files and wants to download all 50GB, even though it's already on my hard drive.

The small file can be opened with a text editor. Would anyone mind sending me their file? Don't worry...there's nothing that can compromise your account and even if there was, I'm completely trustworthy. :)

I redacted the LastOwner value, just because! :p Out of curiosity, does my MountedDepots section match Carfax83? I'm curious if that is patch data.

james1701

Golden Member
Sep 14, 2007
Has anyone got this to run in Eyefinity? I am running a PLP setup, and it just crashes.

Carfax83

Diamond Member
Nov 1, 2010
Just can't get over how great the lighting looks in this game:

PkK3gl.png

Attic

Diamond Member
Jan 9, 2010
I woulda loved 15 fps back when I first started "playing" duke nukem 3d or counterstrike. I upgraded my compaq presario with a new videocard which gave me 15-25 fps after (before that ~10 fps max).

I played duke nukem in a 2 inch diagonal box to try and get better frames, but it still was a slideshow. Once I got a pentium 150 (from a 486 sx 33) I was finally able to beat my friends in modem games, in full screen glory.

Kids these days don't know how good they have it, lol.

Respect!!!

BlueWeasel

Lifer
Jun 2, 2000
I redacted the LastOwner value, just because! :p Out of curiosity, does my MountedDepots section match Carfax83? I'm curious if that is patch data.

Yes it does. The only difference between the two files was "LastUpdated" and "LastOwner". Everything else was identical.

Thanks for the help, guys. I tried everything using both .ACF files, but Steam never would recognize all of the game data. It recognized about 30GB, leaving me 23GB to download/update.

YBS1

Golden Member
May 14, 2000
Yes it does. The only difference between the two files was "LastUpdated" and "LastOwner". Everything else was identical.

Thanks for the help, guys. I tried everything using both .ACF files, but Steam never would recognize all of the game data. It recognized about 30GB, leaving me 23GB to download/update.

For future reference, right click and use the "Backup Game Files" option instead of simply copying the directory to avoid these issues.

HeXen

Diamond Member
Dec 13, 2009
I woulda loved 15 fps back when I first started "playing" duke nukem 3d or counterstrike. I upgraded my compaq presario with a new videocard which gave me 15-25 fps after (before that ~10 fps max).

I played duke nukem in a 2 inch diagonal box to try and get better frames, but it still was a slideshow. Once I got a pentium 150 (from a 486 sx 33) I was finally able to beat my friends in modem games, in full screen glory.

My early PC gaming experiences were pretty bad as well, had an SIS integrated I think it was, Half Life ran only a few frames and garbled sound. The TNT Riva or whatever it was didn't fare much better but I couldn't download drivers cause I had no internet.
I ended up having to get a Voodoo and AOL, get new drivers and finally I got some playability.

BlueWeasel

Lifer
Jun 2, 2000
For future reference, right click and use the "Backup Game Files" option instead of simply copying the directory to avoid these issues.

Yeah, I know that but I was in a hurry and Steam always wants to compress the backups. I also knew that I needed the associated .acf but forgot. :mad:

sze5003

Lifer
Aug 18, 2012
I'm currently running a torture test on my processor. I could only get it to oc to 4.2ghz and running the prime 95 for an hour.

If all is good I'm going to get this game off CD keys and see how well it will run. The oc should last me until the new cards come out in June. Was watching some YouTube videos and it made me want to play it along with you all talking about it.

Figure I'll try the normal mode or maybe even easy since it's been forever that I played a shooter like this. How hard is normal?

Carfax83

Diamond Member
Nov 1, 2010
Figure I'll try the normal mode or maybe even easy since it's been forever that I played a shooter like this. How hard is normal?

Normal difficulty is called "Hurt me plenty," and it can be fairly tough at times as you progress further throughout the game and not only encounter more demons, but harder ones as well.

Those Barons of Hell for instance are pretty badass and they will hunt you down! It's all in good fun though. So what if you die a couple of times?

As your skill improves, you die less often, and then eventually, you won't die at all.

sze5003

Lifer
Aug 18, 2012
Installing on steam now. Taking a while to create the local cache. I'll most likely leave the PC on tonite so it can finish downloading. Glad I don't have a data cap from Comcast. Man i remember playing doom on my family's pentium 1 gateway box haha. Those stupid floppy drives were always getting tossed around and mislabeled.

Childs

Lifer
Jul 9, 2000

The first PC I bought (that I kept) was just to play Doom. It was a used 486SLC2 that cost like $800. I remember Doom ran like crap, and I bought the math coprocessor, but it didnt help. I tinkered with every setting in the bios and then I found L2 cache was disabled. Once enabled, Doom went from like less to 10 fps to what felt like way over 120. I knew nothing about frame rate then, just slow and fast, and it was super fast. Anyways, nothing I have ever done with computers since then has felt more satisfying. :biggrin:

Anomaly1964

Platinum Member
Nov 21, 2010
The first PC I bought (that I kept) was just to play Doom. It was a used 486SLC2 that cost like $800. I remember Doom ran like crap, and I bought the math coprocessor, but it didnt help. I tinkered with every setting in the bios and then I found L2 cache was disabled. Once enabled, Doom went from like less to 10 fps to what felt like way over 120. I knew nothing about frame rate then, just slow and fast, and it was super fast. Anyways, nothing I have ever done with computers since then has felt more satisfying. :biggrin:

I love stories like this!

Anomaly1964

Platinum Member
Nov 21, 2010
I love stories like this!

DOOM was THE FIRST PC game I ever played. I was at a friend's house and he knew I was a comic book geek. He called me over to his desk and said, "Hey man, check this out," of course it was DOOM.

Up until that time, I never saw a reason to have a HOME PC, I just saw them as word processors or accounting tables. At that same time, my brother in law was a freshman in college and his dad had JUST bought him a Hewlett Packard PC for school. The first thing I did was go out and buy the diskettes for DOOM. Every time we went over to my in-laws, I found myself eating dinner as fast as I could and then going to the "back room" to get on that PC and play DOOM. It was running a bit slow so I bought more RAM and it ran great. I can't remember how many nights my wife fell asleep on her parents couch so I could play DOOM.

I specifically remember playing late one Friday night (my brother in law remembers it too). I was on the FINAL level. It was late, I was tired, the music was especially eerie, and the computer just started freaking out! The game went fast, it went slow, the music got loud, then soft, the loud again. At that moment in time I (almost) seriously believed that PC had been possessed by the Demons of Hell!

Soon after, I bought my own PC and really got into them. From that point on I bought about every shooter imaginable. I think the first one I played after DOOM was DARK FORCES...

So THANK YOU DOOM, for many great years of PC fun!

sze5003

Lifer
Aug 18, 2012
Been playing for about an hour or more. It's a lot of fun, more than I expected.

My fps is all over the place. The only settings I have on high are shadows and reflections and everything else is on ultra. Most of the time it's 50-70 fps other times it dips to 45 or a bit less.

I think it's using aa at 4x too. I have vsync off in the game too. Anyone know if the beta amd drivers help? I'm on 16.3.2 and beta is 16.5.2.1.

It looks good but a bit grainy at times. Could really feel my PC breathing hard at times lol.

Raduque

Lifer
Aug 22, 2004
Been playing for about an hour or more. It's a lot of fun, more than I expected.

My fps is all over the place. The only settings I have on high are shadows and reflections and everything else is on ultra. Most of the time it's 50-70 fps other times it dips to 45 or a bit less.

I think it's using aa at 4x too. I have vsync off in the game too. Anyone know if the beta amd drivers help? I'm on 16.3.2 and beta is 16.5.2.1.

It looks good but a bit grainy at times. Could really feel my PC breathing hard at times lol.

Default AA setting is TSSAA at 8x. You can turn the film grain off.

Childs

Lifer
Jul 9, 2000
DOOM was THE FIRST PC game I ever played. I was at a friend's house and he knew I was a comic book geek. He called me over to his desk and said, "Hey man, check this out," of course it was DOOM.

Up until that time, I never saw a reason to have a HOME PC, I just saw them as word processors or accounting tables. At that same time, my brother in law was a freshman in college and his dad had JUST bought him a Hewlett Packard PC for school. The first thing I did was go out and buy the diskettes for DOOM. Every time we went over to my in-laws, I found myself eating dinner as fast as I could and then going to the "back room" to get on that PC and play DOOM. It was running a bit slow so I bought more RAM and it ran great. I can't remember how many nights my wife fell asleep on her parents couch so I could play DOOM.

I specifically remember playing late one Friday night (my brother in law remembers it too). I was on the FINAL level. It was late, I was tired, the music was especially eerie, and the computer just started freaking out! The game went fast, it went slow, the music got loud, then soft, the loud again. At that moment in time I (almost) seriously believed that PC had been possessed by the Demons of Hell!

Soon after, I bought my own PC and really got into them. From that point on I bought about every shooter imaginable. I think the first one I played after DOOM was DARK FORCES...

So THANK YOU DOOM, for many great years of PC fun!

I remember playing the shareware disc over and over. It was awhile before I knew there was still a whole game to play. And then the wads! First buying those compilation discs, and then dialing into bbs and downloading them. It was like the experience that never ended.

CuriousMike

Diamond Member
Feb 22, 2001
I remember being at work ( SSI, working on gold box games ) and the demo came out.
We were blown away.

And then someone said, "Hay, what does this 'multiplayer' thing mean?" We had co-ax network at the company, and we shit our pants when we found out it was multiplayer.

Not only was it multiplayer, but you could link 3 computers together for a "single player, wide view" experience ( computer 1 drawing left, computer 2 drawing center, computer 3 drawing right ).

To this day, there really hasn't been a more impressive game release.

jimrawr

Mar 4, 2003
I havent enjoyed a single player game like this in a long time. I'm the gamer that gets bored really quickly and hardly ever finishes games. I'm almost done with DOOM and thoroughly enjoyed it.

sze5003

Lifer
Aug 18, 2012
This is worth it if you enjoy shooters. I'm not even that good and I'm doing fine on the normal difficulty. I really expected this to flop but I'm pretty amazed how good it turned out. The single player alone is worth it.

I definitely want to upgrade my gpu next month and see if it looks any better. Hell I might as well get a 1440p monitor too but then that will push me into needing a gtx 1080 if I want to keep the same settings.

sze5003

Lifer
Aug 18, 2012
So a GTX 970 isn't good strong enough for XXXXx1440?
Not sure about the 970 but mine is iffy with all ultra and just lighting effects at high. I mean its completely playable just fps is random and if everything is on ultra at 1080p still playable but definitely noticeably slower.

HeXen

Diamond Member
Dec 13, 2009
I thought the original Doom sucked but I didn't try it until several years after it was released, Unreal spoiled me hard back then. Still haven't' been able to get this game to play...when will a patch be released?