Doom (2016) Discussion

Page 19 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

v0id

May 30, 2003
So I played it for just under an hour or so last night before I went to bed. It was at 1080p with roughly medium settings, though a few were high or ultra (v-sync on, too). I got a consistent 30 fps which seemed a bit weird; I mean usually my fps in games can vary a lot but this was almost perfectly consistent IIRC. But it actually felt really fluid for only 30 fps so I didn't mind it.

This is reassuring in that, like me, you appear to have a somewhat older PC as well. From what I can tell online, your i5-750 possesses somewhat more grunt than my Phenom II x3 720, but their performance in games doesn't seem to be wildly dissimilar (http://www.anandtech.com/bench/product/83?vs=109). Also, I'm gaming at 1680x1050, so hopefully the CPU won't be quite as taxed as it might at a higher resolution. I will have to pick this one up once I get paid.

escrow4

Diamond Member
Feb 4, 2013
This is reassuring in that, like me, you appear to have a somewhat older PC as well. From what I can tell online, your i5-750 possesses somewhat more grunt than my Phenom II x3 720, but their performance in games doesn't seem to be wildly dissimilar (http://www.anandtech.com/bench/product/83?vs=109). Also, I'm gaming at 1680x1050, so hopefully the CPU won't be quite as taxed as it might at a higher resolution. I will have to pick this one up once I get paid.

Other way around, lower resolution the CPU gets hit harder:

doom_proz.jpg

Game isn't that CPU heavy, but that CPU you have will dip wildly down into the 40s minimum FPS wise.

nerp

Diamond Member
Dec 31, 2005
I dunno. I just bought the game and am floored by how good it looks and smooth it runs on my setup. Jaw dropping good. I didn't touch any settings. I just jumped right in the game. Wow. And yes, somehow they pulled this off. What a game.

YBS1

Golden Member
May 14, 2000
The chaingun/minigun is rather underwhelming. I find myself using mostly the plasma rifle, super shotgun and HAR micro missiles. I think the chaingun would be much better if you could carry much more ammunition and have significantly longer sustained fire times.

No, the chaingun is absolute beast mode once you get the turret mod fully upgraded and combine it with the infinite ammo when armor is above 100 rune stone challenge. BEAST MODE!!

v0id

May 30, 2003
Other way around, lower resolution the CPU gets hit harder:

Game isn't that CPU heavy, but that CPU you have will dip wildly down into the 40s minimum FPS wise.

"Wildly down into the 40s." What a time to be alive.

In all seriousness, I don't play a lot of videogames anymore. I recall struggling with games running at 15-25FPS back in the early 90s with a Pentium 133 Mhz w/ 16mb RAM and integrated 2mb video. I'm sure I'll manage, as long as it's not a slideshow.

Carfax83

Diamond Member
Nov 1, 2010
Super shotgun felt really bad to use as most things would wreck you if you got too close.

With good aim and uranium rounds, super shotgun is a monster. It will outright kill weak/average enemies with one shot, and stagger the strong ones until you can get a next shot off and finish them off...

Plasma rifle, since it used the same ammo as the gauss, was also usually something I avoided using as it burned through ammo to little effect.

I used to think that as well about the plasma rifle, but then I realized all of the projectiles weren't really connecting with the enemies. Once I started to focus my aim a bit more, the plasma rifle is now my second favorite weapon; after the super shotgun.

clamum

Lifer
Feb 13, 2003

Yeah I definitely have a rather old CPU, relatively speaking. I don't think I've updated my rig stats since I got my new rig parts, though. I'm currently running my new video card (Radeon R9 390) in my old rig until I get the new one together. It's pretty apparent I'm not much of a gamer anymore when I've had the new parts sitting at my apartment for weeks. D:

Regs

Lifer
Aug 9, 2002
Am I the only one that can say the multiplayer is a little lacking? It feels slapped on, scrapped together, and nothing really competitive. I can see that as a major negative in today's age. The game is basic, but it does the basics well.

frowertr

Golden Member
Apr 17, 2010
I haven't even attempted multiplayer. I would give Co-op a go, but I couldn't care less about DM or Team DM in this day and age.

Maybe I'll try the multiplayer out tonight just to see how it feels.

Regs

Lifer
Aug 9, 2002
The best part about this thread is going back and looking at how pessimistic a tone it had and watch it morph into what it is now.....probably game of the year right here.

No way. I don't think the game is innovative enough - it just does what FPS should do which is have fun gun play and fast crazy action.

Attic

Diamond Member
Jan 9, 2010
Man, i'm dying here.

There's a problem with steamlink and AMD cards so I can't run the game.

Pretty darn close to shoving in with an nVidia card, but with the 1080/1070 release so soon this is a no go.

Holy Shnickies!

Anomaly1964

Platinum Member
Nov 21, 2010
The ONLY thing that sucks about this game is not being able to save when you want. I am playing on ULTRA VIOLENCE and sometimes you have to kill a BUNCH of demons to clear a section or level!!!

Regs

Lifer
Aug 9, 2002
The ONLY thing that sucks about this game is not being able to save when you want. I am playing on ULTRA VIOLENCE and sometimes you have to kill a BUNCH of demons to clear a section or level!!!

Feels like Turok.

CuriousMike

Diamond Member
Feb 22, 2001

CuriousMike

Diamond Member
Feb 22, 2001
Anyone trying to play with VSYNC on ?

With VSYNC off, I'm averaging about 70fps.
I turn VSYNC on, and the game sits at 30fps.
Also, there is an "adaptive" ( i think thats the term ) vsync option that I select, but then it just reverts to OFF.

I'd prefer if VSYNC just locked me to 60... but it isn't.

Anyone?

Raduque

Lifer
Aug 22, 2004

Also, there is an "adaptive" ( i think thats the term ) vsync option that I select, but then it just reverts to OFF.

Anyone?

I have vsync on "adaptive" I max at 75fps (refresh rate) and it never goes lower than 60 since I overclocked my GPU.

I used to think that as well about the plasma rifle, but then I realized all of the projectiles weren't really connecting with the enemies. Once I started to focus my aim a bit more, the plasma rifle is now my second favorite weapon; after the super shotgun.

I love the plasma rifle as well, the upgraded Heat burst is OP.

Carfax83

Diamond Member
Nov 1, 2010

Anyone?

I'm playing with Vsync on and it's locked at 60 FPS. If it's locking at 30 FPS for you, it means that your refresh rate is set to 30Hz rather than 60Hz.

Check your display properties settings..

nerp

Diamond Member
Dec 31, 2005
Can't believe how well this game runs on my hardware. Happy to report no crashes after several hours of gametime. I am running a fully stock setup, no overclocking.

TidusZ

Golden Member
Nov 13, 2007
"Wildly down into the 40s." What a time to be alive.

In all seriousness, I don't play a lot of videogames anymore. I recall struggling with games running at 15-25FPS back in the early 90s with a Pentium 133 Mhz w/ 16mb RAM and integrated 2mb video. I'm sure I'll manage, as long as it's not a slideshow.

I woulda loved 15 fps back when I first started "playing" duke nukem 3d or counterstrike. I upgraded my compaq presario with a new videocard which gave me 15-25 fps after (before that ~10 fps max).

I played duke nukem in a 2 inch diagonal box to try and get better frames, but it still was a slideshow. Once I got a pentium 150 (from a 486 sx 33) I was finally able to beat my friends in modem games, in full screen glory.

Kids these days don't know how good they have it, lol.

Last edited:

BlueWeasel

Lifer
Jun 2, 2000
Anyone mind helping out another forum member?

So, to keep from having to download the full 50GB of game files, I simply went to friend who had already done so. Purchased the game and copied his game files to the correct directory. Problem is I forgot to get the app manifest file in:

\Steam\common\appmanifest_379720.acf

Because of this, Steam won't recognize the game files and wants to download all 50GB, even though it's already on my hard drive.

The small file can be opened with a text editor. Would anyone mind sending me their file? Don't worry...there's nothing that can compromise your account and even if there was, I'm completely trustworthy. :)