Doom (2016) Discussion

Subyman

Moderator <br> VC&G Forum
Mar 18, 2005
It is getting harder and harder to pay $60 for games these days. Wonder if it will have oculus support? I bet a face paced game like this wouldn't be very agreeable on the stomach!

BSim500

Golden Member
Jun 5, 2013
No thanks. $60 for one of the slowest and least moddable single-player games I've ever seen which is supposed to be part of a fast-paced highly moddable franchise really doesn't sound appealing. But the real gem is the $120 Collectors Edition on offer consisting of the $60 version + a tacky $5 PVC toy + a $1 cardboard box... The rest is just the usual "don't make an informed decision by waiting for reviews. Instead get into the habit of supporting poor industry practises by making uninformed decisions in exchange for a couple of tacky bribes pre-order bonuses..." :sneaky:

Let's be honest, if it didn't have the "Doom" or "Id" labels stuck on to make it seem "iconic" for riding off the back of a 23 year old Golden Age franchise with completely different gameplay, and if it were made by an Indie studio but looked & played the same with its "slow generic designed-for-controller FPS with UAC & hell textures + Brutal-Doom inspired finishing moves as its sole gimmick" identity, it sure as hell (excuse the pun) wouldn't be selling for a comical $60-$120... :D

Zenoth

Diamond Member
Jan 29, 2005
I'll buy it, eventually, but I'll definitely not pre-order it.

Subyman

Moderator <br> VC&G Forum
Mar 18, 2005
I'm going to reserve judgement, but I don't have high hopes. I can see what you mean, BSim500, Hard Reset comes to mind. It was faster paced though. Indie doom-like game that was forgotten two days after release.

rivethead

Platinum Member
Jan 16, 2005
No thanks. $60 for one of the slowest and least moddable single-player games I've ever seen which is supposed to be part of a fast-paced highly moddable franchise really doesn't sound appealing. But the real gem is the $120 Collectors Edition on offer consisting of the $60 version + a tacky $5 PVC toy + a $1 cardboard box... The rest is just the usual "don't make an informed decision by waiting for reviews. Instead get into the habit of supporting poor industry practises by making uninformed decisions in exchange for a couple of tacky bribes pre-order bonuses..." :sneaky:

Let's be honest, if it didn't have the "Doom" or "Id" labels stuck on to make it seem "iconic" for riding off the back of a 23 year old Golden Age franchise with completely different gameplay, and if it were made by an Indie studio but looked & played the same with its "slow generic designed-for-controller FPS with UAC & hell textures + Brutal-Doom inspired finishing moves as its sole gimmick" identity, it sure as hell (excuse the pun) wouldn't be selling for a comical $60-$120... :D

Damn. That was awesome!

rivethead

Platinum Member
Jan 16, 2005
I'm going to reserve judgement, but I don't have high hopes. I can see what you mean, BSim500, Hard Reset comes to mind. It was faster paced though. Indie doom-like game that was forgotten two days after release.

I wouldn't say Hard Reset was "forgotten". It was a fantastic game but certainly didn't create a major enduring franchise like Doom.

But I'll give the Hard Reset devs credit......a few years later they released substantial additional content....hours worth of gameplay that continued the story. And they did it for free. They could have easily sold this content as a DLC, but didn't.

But as I'm a big Hard Reset fan (and thus biased) and this has nothing to do with Doom....I'll stop.

moonbogg

Lifer
Jan 8, 2011
The game looks good to me. You are the sole marine in space now go kill them all. Die demons. Bithces.

ronbo613

Golden Member
Jan 9, 2010
Tapping the wisdom of the universe, I have found preordering to be the wrong path

sandorski

No Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Pre-Ordering is for schmucks. Don't do it, unless you feel like being ripped off.

motsm

Golden Member
Jan 20, 2010
Looks about as close to the original that could ever be possible as a AAA release these days. That isn't saying much though, so I'm waiting for PC footage with a mouse and on the hardest difficulty.

futurefields

Diamond Member
Jun 2, 2012
The game looks good to me. You are the sole marine in space now go kill them all. Die demons. Bithces.

B-b-b-b-b-but no mods man! I can't make my own custom doo-dads and put them in the gamez!! :( :( :(

Nah, I agree actually I think it looks pretty damn awesome. Way better than Doom 3.

escrow4

Diamond Member
Feb 4, 2013
If the single player campaign isn't at least 15-20 hours then no. 5 hour campaign shooters pffft.

Zenoth

Diamond Member
Jan 29, 2005
The trailer for this game is a little too sedate for my tastes.

I noticed that the trailer mostly demonstrate the "finishers" moves.

The problem, I believe, is that a lot of people out there will watch that trailer and think that the game consists of regular 'interruptions' every five seconds or so for those moves to finish (I.E. having to wait for the full animation to end). As part of the game's official advertisement it was - in my opinion - a mistake to include them in the trailer, or at least to include that many in a row. Still now a lot of people don't know that those finishers are completely optional and need to be triggered by the player to happen (but the trailer doesn't really show that).

I suppose that of course most gamers know about it, but some don't, and among those who don't the word of mouth effect spreads fast ("Dude" Have you seen the DOOM trailer?!" / "LOL! Yeah! Full of QTEs every five seconds! SO MUCH FAIL!"). I hope that id Software / Bethesda will release more trailers that will showcase what the 'real' (base) pacing of the game is like without those finishers. Personally, I find them too repetitive. It will probably be fun to execute each enemy type a few tims to see each unique animations for all of them, but once you've gone through the entire repertoire of finishers I'm sure most of us will just not do it anymore.

Nonetheless, the game looks rather fun and the moddability seems pretty solid (so far). I can't wait to make my own maps (and, hopefully, they kept the faction-based A.I. intact in order for the enemies to attack each others, because I have wild ideas already brewing in my head for arena-style custom maps).

BlueWeasel

Lifer
Jun 2, 2000
I LOVED Doom 1 and 2, but hated 3. Looking forward to the new game, but will wait for reviews and benchmarks before making a decision.

sweenish

Diamond Member
May 21, 2013
This game has piqued my interest, but I'll have to wait for a sale. Backlog and all that makes full price hard to justify for any game.

moonbogg

Lifer
Jan 8, 2011
May 13th is kinda far away to start getting excited. I'll wait until may 13th to start getting excited. Unless they release another trailer. Then i'll get excited early.

MongGrel

Lifer
Dec 3, 2013
I stopped pre ordering any games long ago, even if I do not game much these days.

Was bit a few too many times I wish I had not.

DaveSimmons

Elite Member
Aug 12, 2001
Doom 1-2 were great, but that was last century. I'll wait.

I did pre-order Xcom 2, based on really liking 1, early buzz, had a gift certificate, and Amazon 20% off for Prime.