Don't you dread single payer?

Page 7 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

AViking

Platinum Member
Sep 12, 2013
In Sweden you can get extra insurance for private doctors and more tests if you want. It's not like that won't be an option for those who demand more. The system here will not authorize extra tests unless there is a reason for it. I admit that it can be frustrating sometimes, coming from the American system, but overall the system works really well and is definitely better than the US system. You get the care you need but not necessarily the care you want. I posted an example where they refused to give me an MRI since they had no reason to give me one. I was so used to getting an MRI every time my knee or back hurt in the states but here they don't just give them out unless there is real cause to suspect soft tissue damage.

Juddog

Diamond Member
Dec 11, 2006
It's also probably a good idea if the government can "allocate" 1 day every quarter as "paid" healthcare/time off day. Employee's will get paid vacation time for missing the day if said day is used for health purposes (eq. physical check ups / blood tests ) supporting preventative care.

Imagine how many life threatening diseases (expensive to treat) will get caught earlier if there's routine preventative check ups. Most people only go visit their Doctor when something is wrong and I'm pretty sure one of the reasons for doing so is that they don't have enough "time"..

Let's not push it too far; the righties would have a field day with a suggestion like that.

Hayabusa Rider

Admin Emeritus & Elite Member
Jan 26, 2000
In Sweden you can get extra insurance for private doctors and more tests if you want. It's not like that won't be an option for those who demand more. The system here will not authorize extra tests unless there is a reason for it. I admit that it can be frustrating sometimes, coming from the American system, but overall the system works really well and is definitely better than the US system. You get the care you need but not necessarily the care you want. I posted an example where they refused to give me an MRI since they had no reason to give me one. I was so used to getting an MRI every time my knee or back hurt in the states but here they don't just give them out unless there is real cause to suspect soft tissue damage.

There's a lot that can be done to make things better, but after reading through this thread I see we really don't want that.
We want to argue about things most don't understand. MRIs BTW aren't so easy to come by these days for most. That's not bad in itself, nor good, but what matters is an appropriate decision in a timely manner. Any system needs to be responsive and flexible without being onerous.

funks

Golden Member
Nov 9, 2000
Let's not push it too far; the righties would have a field day with a suggestion like that.

Not sure if it's really such a big deal, I think most companies already offer a week of sick leave a year.

Mr. Pedantic

Diamond Member
Feb 14, 2010
Not sure if it's really such a big deal, I think most companies already offer a week of sick leave a year.

He doesn't really mean sick leave. I think what he's proposing is for when you're healthy, to give you time to go to the dentist, the doctor, the pharmacy, etc. since a lot of people have trouble fitting them around their normal working hours.

Also, 5 sick days a year seems really tiny. I'm not quite sure, since I've never paid attention to sick leave much, but we get 10 or 15 days minimum.

AViking

Platinum Member
Sep 12, 2013
In Sweden we don't get the first day of sick leave paid but everyday after that we get 80% of our salary. If you're sick for longer than a week though you need a doctor's note. If you're sick for longer than a year you get bumped down to 75%. If you're sick for longer than I think 2 years I think you get put in early retirement.

May 16, 2000
He doesn't really mean sick leave. I think what he's proposing is for when you're healthy, to give you time to go to the dentist, the doctor, the pharmacy, etc. since a lot of people have trouble fitting them around their normal working hours.

Also, 5 sick days a year seems really tiny. I'm not quite sure, since I've never paid attention to sick leave much, but we get 10 or 15 days minimum.

The only job I've ever worked with sick days or comp time (or equivalent) was the military. That's out of 30-some companies. It's pretty rare.

Last edited:

xBiffx

Diamond Member
Aug 22, 2011
The only job I've ever worked with sick days or comp time (or equivalent) was the military. That's out of 30-some companies. It's pretty rare.

Huh, just about every job I've had (about 1/3 your number) included sick time. I thought it was the norm. :confused:

The one I have now is great, I can take up to 30 days before short term disability has to kick in. But that is changing next year.

dank69

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
Huh, just about every job I've had (about 1/3 your number) included sick time. I thought it was the norm. :confused:

The one I have now is great, I can take up to 30 days before short term disability has to kick in. But that is changing next year.
Sick pay pretty much is the norm. From what I've seen, there often isn't a designated amount of sick time alotted on a per year basis, just more of a use it if you need it type thing that only gets scrutinized if you abuse it. Other places just lump vaca and sick pay into "paid time off." Don't get sick? Get more vaca. Consecutive sick days like you said eventually become short term and then long term.

Hayabusa Rider

Admin Emeritus & Elite Member
Jan 26, 2000
In Sweden we don't get the first day of sick leave paid but everyday after that we get 80% of our salary. If you're sick for longer than a week though you need a doctor's note. If you're sick for longer than a year you get bumped down to 75%. If you're sick for longer than I think 2 years I think you get put in early retirement.

We aren't Sweden. We are the Republic of Demcratsandreoublicanshateeachotherstan. We will not permit government funding of entities which are superior to the former and will not back with private money something which does not maximize profit. We do not have politician accountability. If they are removed the next cookie cutter representative of The Party will take his or her place. Business and government have one essential common trait and that is they play for keeps and do not share power. Our government doesn't facilitate, they control. Our business does not care for those who it serves. It cares for how the market will see performance in the next quarter.

We don't want Sweden. We want just what we had in DC with the shutdown.