Don't worry your little heads... Mitt Romney has FL in the bag.

blankslate

Diamond Member
Jun 16, 2008
http://www.sun-sentinel.com/news/broward/fl-voter-purge-war-hero-20120529,0,79425.story

A coalition of voting groups wrote the governor last week saying that they had "deep concern" over the process and said that the system of matching it to other databases was "flawed."

"Voting is a fundamental, constitutionally guaranteed right," the coalition wrote. "As such it cannot be lightly withdrawn on the basis of a highly flawed and suspect process."

Get it done quickly and correct the mistakes later... like after the election...

http://wusfnews.wusf.usf.edu/post/world-war-ii-veteran-purged-florida-voter-rolls

An Army World War II Veteran, who was awarded the Bronze Star as a medic in the Battle of the Bulge and honored by France with its Chevalier Legion of Honour, received another distinction from the State of Florida this year.

Ninety-one year old Bill Internicola said he was amazed and a little insulted when he read a letter that said he'd been disqualified as a voter.

The letter received by the lifelong Democrat was sent to 2,600 voters throughout the state to keep non-citizens from participating in elections.

Oh wai.. he votes democrat and he's an illegal alien even though he's been voting in the U.S. for the past 15 years...

Nothing to see. Move along...

Kathryn Harris' spirit lives on in FL.

PokerGuy

Lifer
Jul 2, 2005
Oh, heaven forbid we remove dead people and non citizens from the rolls of voters. I know, it's absolutely impossible for any mistakes to happen in that process.... and even though the mistakes are very easy to correct, we should use that as the basis to scrap a logical process.

No evidence has been presented at all that such purging of the voter rolls has any more impact on the dims than on the republicans, unless you want to claim that dims are more likely to get votes from dead people and illegal aliens.

blankslate

Diamond Member
Jun 16, 2008
No evidence has been presented at all that such purging of the voter rolls has any more impact on the dims than on the republicans, unless you want to claim that dims are more likely to get votes from dead people and illegal aliens.

You have not evidence that people aren't being erroneously identified as dead or illegal aliens.

In 2000 in FL were errors in a similar list in FL but dealing with felons people were erroneously placed on the no vote list.

http://www.nytimes.com/2004/07/10/national/10florida.html

The article is a little old but consider the data about the list

Of nearly 48,000 Florida residents on the felon list, only 61 are Hispanic. By contrast, more than 22,000 are African-American.

ok not really much... but hmmm

The method uses race as one of several factors in determining whether a felon has registered to vote. If a voter's first name, last name and date of birth are the same as those of a convicted felon but the race is different, the name is not put on the list for potential purging.

But the database of felons has only five variables for race: white, black, Asian, Indian and unknown. And a voter registered as Hispanic whose name and birth date matched a felon's would be left off the purge list unless his race was listed as unknown.

funny how Hispanic isn't an option.

Weird but let's move on to look how the voters tended to vote by demographic back then

About 8 percent of Florida voters describe themselves as Hispanic, and about 11 percent as black.

In a presidential-election battleground state that decided the 2000 race by giving George W. Bush a margin of only 537 votes, the effect could be significant: black voters are overwhelmingly Democratic, while Hispanics in Florida tend to vote Republican.

Given the above it's kinda convenient that many more black people were on the list than hispanic people. But hey that was in 2000 why would it happen again I mean after all this Governor is a Democ... oh wait.

National ID card, problem solved.

yeah, it'll be funny to see conspiracy theorists heads explode.

Last edited:

Throckmorton

Lifer
Aug 23, 2007
Oh, heaven forbid we remove dead people and non citizens from the rolls of voters. I know, it's absolutely impossible for any mistakes to happen in that process.... and even though the mistakes are very easy to correct, we should use that as the basis to scrap a logical process.

Yes, we wouldn't want dead people illegally voting.

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
More than 1,600 registrants were listed as non-citizens on the Miami-Dade rolls. So far Sagastume reports, about 20 percent have proven they are citizens. So far, more than one fifth of those people have proven they are citizens.

So...which is it...one-fifth, or 20 percent? :biggrin:

While I support removing those who are not eligible to vote,

Without knowing the details of Internicola’s case, a spokesman with the Florida Department of State said some voters may be inconvenienced by the process of excluding non-citizens … but no one will lose their legal right to vote.

is troubling to me. They should be 100% certain that anyone on that list is ineligible to vote...not accept that "some mistakes will be made" that might not be corrected in time to cast a vote.

National ID card, problem solved.

With some reservations, I support having a National ID card.
I think there are getting to be fewer and fewer people who can't prove when/where they were born. As long as the cost is low and there are provisions made for those who simply cannot afford said ID...I think it's a great idea.

nehalem256

Lifer
Apr 13, 2012
is troubling to me. They should be 100% certain that anyone on that list is ineligible to vote...not accept that "some mistakes will be made" that might not be corrected in time to cast a vote.

I would assume that is why the letters are sent out 5 months before the election.

Anarchist420

Diamond Member
Feb 13, 2010
www.facebook.com
With some reservations, I support having a National ID card. I think there are getting to be fewer and fewer people who can't prove when/where they were born. As long as the cost is low and there are provisions made for those who simply cannot afford said ID...I think it's a great idea.
That sucks that the support for it is so high. It would be abused by the government and it would cost a shitload of money to enforce.

Why can't we just quit having individuals voting for the whole union and why can't we just abolish the fucking welfare-warfare state instead?

This idea that voting is a right is dangerous, precisely because it leads to nationalism, which then leads to globalism.

ElFenix

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Mar 20, 2000
This idea that voting is a right is dangerous, precisely because it leads to nationalism, which then leads to globalism.

you have an odd premise, and that is followed by two inference/conclusions without supporting statements.

Craig234

Lifer
May 1, 2006
Watch the Rachel Maddow segment on this, it's good as usual.

http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2012/05/29/maddow-takes-on-florida-voter-purge/

The United States was deprived of the President they really elected in 2000 for many reasons, officially awarding the office to Bush by 537 votes - while a recount later found even the votes cast had elected Gore, without getting into at least tens of thousands of valid voters wrongly purged by a Republican scheme under Bush's governor brother.

And if it worked before, why not try again?

- Thousands of voters have been ordered to be notified they can't vote by the new Republican governor, with unclear criterion how they were selected.

- The list is heavily weighted, again, to Democratic voters - the young, racial minorities; 13% of the list is white voters, while 68% of voters are white.

- It became immediately clear the list is highly inaccurate, filled with valid voters - it's way beyond 'oops' or 'honest mistake'. It's clearly part of Republican voter suppression.

- While there are reports of counties already finding 20% of the list have successfully challenged the accusation - the error rate is presumably much higher, since that doesn't count the voters who didn't bother to go through the process of 'scheduling with the Director of Voting to present evidence' (better than 2000's requirement to go to court).

This is about as un-American as politics gets and is an integrity test for any Republican - if they don't fight their own party on this, what standards do they have?

Craig234

Lifer
May 1, 2006
you have an odd premise, and that is followed by two inference/conclusions without supporting statements.

I don't want to say much about his misguided comment, but I think his point basically is that 'the people' act like a mob when they vote in that they'll be seduced by promises of national power and the benefits of an aggressive foreign policy, making 'the people' unfit to govern, and instead we should have Ron Paul who will only have good policies.

glenn1

Lifer
Sep 6, 2000
“I never had any trouble. I voted here for the last 15 years,” Internicola told freelance reporter Patricia Sagastume. “ To me, it’s like an insult.”

This isn't exactly an outright denial of the accusation he's not a citizen. It's not mutually exclusive to not be a citizen and yet have served in the military (even with honors) and voted for the previous 15 years. One would also think the news story would definitely state he is a citizen if it were the case, so that makes me even more suspicious that he is not.

CallMeJoe

Diamond Member
Jul 30, 2004
This isn't exactly an outright denial of the accusation he's not a citizen. It's not mutually exclusive to not be a citizen and yet have served in the military (even with honors) and voted for the previous 15 years. One would also think the news story would definitely state he is a citizen if it were the case, so that makes me even more suspicious that he is not.
From the Miami HeraldL:
Bill Internicola was born in Brooklyn 91 years ago and received a Bronze Star for fighting in the Battle of the Bulge in World War II, but, according to the state of Florida, he may not be a U.S. citizen.

PokerGuy

Lifer
Jul 2, 2005
You have not evidence that people aren't being erroneously identified as dead or illegal aliens.

Of course errors are made, just like the social security office has people who are very much alive listed as "deceased". As long as there's an easy way to fix the mistake, and there is plenty of time to fix it so the legitimate voter doesn't end up unable to vote, there's no issue.

Just the usual dimlib anger that it's getting harder to cast bogus votes.

blankslate

Diamond Member
Jun 16, 2008
Of course errors are made, just like the social security office has people who are very much alive listed as "deceased". As long as there's an easy way to fix the mistake, and there is plenty of time to fix it so the legitimate voter doesn't end up unable to vote, there's no issue.

Just the usual dimlib anger that it's getting harder to cast bogus votes.

this is typical whitewashing by Conservatards who look the other way when one of their own does something that they would crucify a democrat for.

Additionally I've given you evidence of how a previous action by another administration that is similar in nature was very flawed.

How convenient it must be to just ignore it...