Don't watch 60 Minutes

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Red Dawn

Elite Member
Jun 4, 2001
Originally posted by: Marshallj
Reagan started "the war on drugs"
So we are led to believe. As far as we know it coul;d have been that Old Biddy he had for a wife

HappyGamer2

Banned
Jun 12, 2000
yes ronny started it, but bush really got it going, also you must remember ronny wasn't really running the show, bush and a few others were

Marshallj

Platinum Member
Mar 26, 2003
I think that whole war on drugs is a scam. It gives law enforcement yet another reason to invade our privacy.

In countries that do not have such strict laws, their drug problems aren't as bad. Probably because they spend most of the money on treatment and not keeping people in jail.

If some guy in NY sells some pot to another guy who wants to buy it, it's not affecting me in any way. But when you pass a sweeping law that puts the public under constant surveillance, that does affect me.

HappyGamer2

Banned
Jun 12, 2000
"I think that whole war on drugs is a scam. It gives law enforcement yet another reason to invade our privacy."

Bingo, you have won a prize

Bleep

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
. I also believe there's a difference between a US citizen and someone who is here illegally; the illegal alien should have far fewer rights, though the specifics of that are open for debate.

The 14th ammendment does not diraw and difference, it referes to persons. Chinese immigrants used this for many lawsuits against states and the fed goverment and won every one of the suit at the supreme court level.
1982 Plyler v Doe US Supreme Court decision
Bleep.

Kadarin

Lifer
Nov 23, 2001
Originally posted by: HappyGamer2
"I think that whole war on drugs is a scam. It gives law enforcement yet another reason to invade our privacy."

Bingo, you have won a prize

It is also a political boondoggle and juggernaught that feeds on itself. No senator or congressman in their right mind would want to appear to be soft on drugs, as the other side, regardless of political party, would jump on the chance to push their own image.

Yossarian

Lifer
Dec 26, 2000
Thanks for the heads up. I rarely watch 60 Minutes but this was enlightening. I had heard about mistreatment of detained immigrants but I am disgusted at the stories told by those detained. Ashcroft is just a vile, despicable man, and I would even tolerate 4 more years of Bush if it meant he would pick another AG.

Mrburns2007

Platinum Member
Jun 14, 2001
Actually Reagan wanted to do more on the treatment side but was snowed into believing that law enforement agency could stop drug trafficing.

The drug war was started long before reagan though if I recall it was in the 1920's when the drug war began.

Wag

Diamond Member
Jul 21, 2000
That ain't likely to happen because W and Ashcroft are of one mind when it comes to "Justice".

I suspected the Bush Administration would try to sneak through Patriot II during the war, and it's still likely to happen. I'm glad someone was brave enough to leak the Act II to the public, even though there was nothing "top secret" about it, they were just trying to hide it so nobody could actually read what was in it. Has anyone heard of when the Act II bill is going to come up?

At any rate, it comes down to Congress. I fear that many representatives won't have the balls to go against the administration for fear of being labeled "unpatriotic". If it gets passed I fear many people will start disappearing.

apoppin

Lifer
Mar 9, 2000
alienbabeltech.com
Originally posted by: mastertech01
Im sorry but 60 minutes has become very jaded toward the left and would love to embarrass the current administration or discredit it in any way possible to get a news story out of it. I just cant find them credible in thier recent "reporting" methods. IMHO
I guess everything sucks that doesn't praise GW. :p

Who DO you find credible?

I also found the story that showed - our ally, Jordan, 100% opposed to the War - very interesting. MOST Americans (well, 70%) are clueless about the Middle East and Arab attitudes.

conjur

No Lifer
Jun 7, 2001
Also on 60 Minutes:

Ahmad Chalabi, leader of the opposition Iraqi National Congress, tells CBS's 60 Minutes programme that US forces should stay in Iraq for two years - until elections can be held.

(From the BBC)

yodayoda

Platinum Member
Jan 8, 2001
listen, the only way we can protect the american way of life is deny the american way of life to foreigners in our country or force the american way to foreigners outside of our country. now stop asking questions, unless you want to be an enemy combative and lose your citizenship.

apoppin

Lifer
Mar 9, 2000
alienbabeltech.com
Originally posted by: yodayoda
listen, the only way we can protect the american way of life is deny the american way of life to foreigners in our country or force the american way to foreigners outside of our country. now stop asking questions, unless you want to be an enemy combative and lose your citizenship.
The Ashcroft soft-line. :p

Also on 60 Minutes:

Ahmad Chalabi, leader of the opposition Iraqi National Congress, tells CBS's 60 Minutes programme that US forces should stay in Iraq for two years - until elections can be held.
Heres the 60 minutes transcript

But there's little doubt that Chalabi's message was "Saddam's defenses will come apart like an old suitcase" -- and that administration hawks paid attention.

Just before the shooting started, Vice President Cheney said that it was meetings with and information from Chalabi's organization that led him to this conclusion: ?The read we get on the people of Iraq is there's no question but what they want to get rid of Saddam Hussein and they will welcome as liberators the United States when we come to do that.?

During Indyk?s management of Iraqi policy during the Clinton years, he says that he trusted, but always verified, information provided by Chalabi and his group.

?We had reason to admire Ahmed,? says Indyk. ?He was courageous. He was fighting for a cause against a very evil man, and there weren't too many Ahmed Chalabi's around.?

But does Indyk think Chalabi was getting faulty intelligence out of Iraq, or that he deliberately misrepresented it so he?d get U.S. support?

?He wanted to bring Saddam Hussein down,? says Indyk. ?He had an interest in convincing us of the need to go and do that, and that it could be done relatively easily. It?s not Chalabi?s fault that he was trying to sell us a bill of goods, and that we bought it.?

And I hear - FIVE years - is more likely . . . that's a big chunk of our infantry - estimates of 75,000 - 200,000 American troops will be needed to keep the peace AFTER the war.

Wag

Diamond Member
Jul 21, 2000
I thought it was pretty laughable when that guy was saying it didn't have to be all American troops- it could be Polish, Australian, Brits, etc. Ok, that's 10,000- Lol.

I also thought the CIA's excuse for having poor intelligence was laughable. I find it hard to believe that they trusted that one guy's info over their own, and they never bothered to confirm it. If they're that incompetent I'm truly afraid for our country. That said, the Pentagon is still supporting Ahmad Chalabi so it looks like he'll have some role to play in the new Gov't. I also find it laughable to suggest we'd set up true democratic elections there.

JellyBaby

Diamond Member
Apr 21, 2000
That is just way over the line, and AFAIC if it passes, any Representative who's in office when it does deserves to be kicked out.
We have to stop the commies before they infiltrate the government!

apoppin

Lifer
Mar 9, 2000
alienbabeltech.com
Originally posted by: JellyBaby
That is just way over the line, and AFAIC if it passes, any Representative who's in office when it does deserves to be kicked out.
We have to stop the commies before they infiltrate the government!
I think "fascists" is a better word and it is already too late. ;)

Nostrada

Jun 26, 2002
Originally posted by: CPA
Originally posted by: Nostrada
Originally posted by: vicvonglahn
If you don't like the way this country is run then live somewhere else. I am tired of hearing crap about the mistreatment of a few people when the world lost almost 3000 in the towers. Should we just sit on our hands and allow it to happen again or should we do something about it? If the president is not going about it the way you would than at least offer opinions as to how we should go about it. Until then SHUT UP.

By withdrawing US troops from all around the world. By not influencing other countries with money and weapons. By being modest. By not acting like a religious fanatic. Remember who gave the Taliban the weapons? Remember who was in bed with Saddam for many years? No, I am not talking about some muslims here, I am talking about your W!

Argh, you are making me so angry, I just follow your advice and SHUT UP.

/vent off

You really don't know what you're talking about, do you?

Now that was a really worthwhile comment, adding to the discussion some totally new aspects.

It is a fact that Rumsfeld was actively talking to Saddam trying to cuddle up. May I dare to suggest to read slate.com, TNR or - GASP - media from other countries? Such as Australia? (I am ducking for flames coming my way to even suggest this) Just to get a view different from the official FOX line?

Ok, I somehow doubt I am reaching you.

Feldenak

Lifer
Jan 31, 2003
Originally posted by: vicvonglahn
If you don't like the way this country is run then live somewhere else. I am tired of hearing crap about the mistreatment of a few people when the world lost almost 3000 in the towers. Should we just sit on our hands and allow it to happen again or should we do something about it? If the president is not going about it the way you would than at least offer opinions as to how we should go about it. Until then SHUT UP.

Welcome to the USA. You don't have to like people's views but you have to let them speak their mind. I would personally love to send Morph off to some "workers paradise" but that would make me no better than some crackpot, freedom-hating jack@ss. You don't have to like what people say but you should at least defend their right to say it.

CaptnKirk

Lifer
Jul 25, 2002
Quote:

Are you referring to George Bush? Offer one bit of proof that George W. Bush helped Saddam in any way. He wasn't in power back then.

I think this happened when he played for the Rangers as a shortstop, and bunted into a double play, costing the team the Pennant.
Just as with Fidel Castro trying out for the Yankees and being cut, some vengance and retribution was always expected.

JackBurton

Lifer
Jul 18, 2000
They interviewed one young man who was married to a US citizen, held for over 70days in solitary confinement (with the lights on much of the time), given a rectal examination in front of a crowd of federal officers (male and female)- all because he overstayed his vistor's visa.
And the lesson is...DON'T OVESTAY YOUR VISA!

Nostrada

Jun 26, 2002
Originally posted by: JackBurton
They interviewed one young man who was married to a US citizen, held for over 70days in solitary confinement (with the lights on much of the time), given a rectal examination in front of a crowd of federal officers (male and female)- all because he overstayed his vistor's visa.
And the lesson is...DON'T OVESTAY YOUR VISA!

Follow me:

A friend tells you about some charity/organization which does good things for people in other countries. You trust your friend and you are in a good mood/need a tax break/have some money to spare. So you decide to donate a few bucks to the good cause.

A few months later, the powers in charge at the time decide that this charity is supporting a terrorist organization somewhere. Your donation shows up in the database. You get taken away for supporting a terrorist organization. Comes Patriot Act II, you might even loose your US citizenship. You end up on a plane to nowhere.

Now tell me that you do not think that this is at least a little bit scary? It certainly scares me. No one there to oversee this.

Wag

Diamond Member
Jul 21, 2000
What scares me even more in that scenario is that if someone sees you as either a valuable source of intelligence or a potential threat- they keep you locked up indefinately. No charges, no legal council, no phone calls- essentially disappearing off the face of the Earth.

Now that's some scary sh*t.