Don't make a mistake like me with attempting a refund in steam.

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Zargon

Lifer
Nov 3, 2009
Well, I would think the obvious reason would be because you and a friend could simply gift the same game back and forth. Since your Steam already has the game files, the second you were gifted it, you'd be able to play it.

Now is this a Steam issue or a dev/pub issue? Do you think they want 10 people to be able to share the same purchase?

steam is all DRM, like its not hard for them to deauthorize it and remove your local game content? I doubt it.

but like juju also pointed out, I already owned a copy, and it just basically threw the other copy away.

Skurge

Diamond Member
Aug 17, 2009
steam is all DRM, like its not hard for them to deauthorize it and remove your local game content? I doubt it.

but like juju also pointed out, I already owned a copy, and it just basically threw the other copy away.

I don't think people would be open to the idea of steam deleting stuff on their PCs.

xCxStylex

Apr 6, 2003
Even with their super sales, you need to understand that Steam is a business and they still need to make money.

Yes, we'd all like to be able to give extra copies of games away (say I have HL+CS and then I buy the complete valve pack), but it's completely clear in their policies and from everyone's experiences that have been posted that they don't let you do this. :[

If you really care that much, then yes, make new accounts so you don't overlap, and also, you can also resell games that you're done with.

no, you didnt read it right. You can't gift games you already own.

why can't I give a game away?

I bought the Serious Sam pack in the sale because it was like 7.50 for both, but I bought the first one over xmas sale when it was like 5 bucks.

They wouldnt left me gift the new copy because well, they won't let you.

And I couldnt gift the one I already had of course, because, well, they wont let you.

I bought the pack because it was cheaper to get both at 7.50 total then 15 for just the second episode. Im not like mad, I saved money. But it reminded me how much of a ripoff steam can be about that stuff. I would have loved to have gifted it to my brother or father, rather than have it e-dissappear because steam decided I cant do anything with it.

I'm going to have to start making new accounts for specific game packs like that now so I stop getting screwed out of legit licenses by steam

KeypoX

Diamond Member
Aug 31, 2003
bitch bitch bitch, you bought then they had a sale, they have no obligation to let you return rebuy.

Whats up with this attitude? You dont think they should have a 30 day policy or something? The Internet is supposed to make business more competitive not less. It seems like some people prefer being treating like shit.