Don't "Automatically Detect Settings"!

Chiropteran

Diamond Member
Nov 14, 2003
Internet Explorer> Internet Options> Connections> LAN Settings> Uncheck the "Automatically detect settings" box

It is checked by default on a new install of Windows 7.

Why? I noticed a brief hesitation when opening a browser before it would load my homepage. It wasn't crazy long, but there was a 1-3 second pause before anything happened and I've had much slower computers work faster, so I knew something was up. I did a little googling and found this key bit of info.

Basically with "automatically detect settings" enabled, Windows will try to "detect" your internet connection settings every time you start a new browser session. This wastes valuable time, because if you are on a desktop PC at home your connection settings are probably never going to change, ever.

Note that this settings is not just for internet explorer, it effects other browsers as well, Chrome in particular, as my main browser and where I noticed the issue.

Chiefcrowe

Diamond Member
Sep 15, 2008
hmm, have not noticed any slowdowns but i will check to see what my settings are

JackMDS

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 25, 1999
If you have e regular setting of Internet feed with a Modem-Router and regular Ethernet (or and you are using common WIFI connection) leave this menu alone (everything unchecked) it a "relic" for old days (or unusual) "primitive" Internet connection.

:cool:

Chiropteran

Diamond Member
Nov 14, 2003
Just to be clear- the default on a new install of windows 7 enterprise 64 bit sp1 has this setting enabled. I am assuming other flavors of win 7 are the same. So for best results you need to manually go in and uncheck it.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk

Nothinman

Elite Member
Sep 14, 2001
That's for WPAD but it shouldn't take 3s for it to figure out it doesn't exist, I'm thinking it should just be a DNS lookup for wpad.whatever which should take a few ms but it's been a while since I've messed with WPAD so I'm not 100% sure right now.