Donations to WCU Scholarship Fund in memory of Richard Smith (acemcmac)

TheLonelyPhoenix

Diamond Member
Feb 15, 2004
Paypal donations are now closed. I'll be contacting KarenMarie to send everything donated via Paypal to West Chester University. If you wish to donate further, please send the money directly using the contact information below. Thanks to everyone who has participated.

First off, let me say thanks for the massive outpouring of support from Anandtech after this tragedy. It meant a lot to Rick's family.

This thread is to organize a donation in his memory. I have asked his family if they would take a direct contribution for funeral costs, but they told me they wouldn't accept it. Instead, they informed me that a scholarship fund was being set up in his name at his alma mater, West Chester University, and they would like donations to go there.

KarenMarie has very graciously offered the use of her PayPal account to collect donations - a PM from her containing feedback and her PayPal e-mail is incuded at the bottom of this post. I have promised $50 towards covering PayPal fees from other donations and KarenMarie has promised another $50, but after that's depleted, PayPal will be taking its cut in fees from each donation - I apologize for that, can't be helped. I'm not really sure at the moment how long we'll be collecting donations, I'll update later with that.

Those of you who wish to contribute directly will find the university address and contact information at the bottom of this post. The PayPal collection is merely for convenience, so feel free to send a donation directly.

Rick didn't die as a result of anything wrong he did that night. He died because someone else made the decision to get drunk and then drive. By doing so, that other person rolled the dice with other people's lives and his own, and neither Rick nor Aaron (the other person hit) could do anything about it. Regardless of what each of you decides to donate, I sincerely hope each of you makes a promise to yourself never to repeat that mistake. Please, please, PLEASE don't ever drive drunk. Find another way home - call a cab, call a friend, walk, just do SOMETHING else. It might not be you who pays the price for it if you drive drunk.

Many thanks to KarenMarie for all her help. :)

Keep your prayers with the families of those affected by this tragedy, and with Rick and Aaron.

And please, be safe out there.

-Demetri

Checks should be made out to: WCU Foundation
Please include "Richard A. Smith" in the memo blank.

Donations will be sent to:

West Chester University
Filano Hall
West Chester, PA 19383

WCU Office of Development Website: http://www.wcupa.edu/giving/ag_way.html - Contains contact information, and information for contributing by credit card.

Donations recieved so far:

DaveSimmons
oldsmoboat
mugs
SP33Demon

Edit: I'll post the usernames of people who have donated, but no dollar amounts. If you choose to donate directly, please indicate in the thread once you have and I'll add you to the list.

Edit 2: No further donations have come in recently, so I'm closing donations at the end of Wednesday and having the Paypal money sent to WCU. Thanks to all that have donated directly and through Paypal.

Feldenak

Lifer
Jan 31, 2003
No offense but isn't this about the 4th charity donation in the memory of acemcmac thing that's been posted?

D

Deleted member 4644

I don't normally put in for things like this, but I'm sending something this time.

TheLonelyPhoenix

Diamond Member
Feb 15, 2004
Originally posted by: Feldenak
No offense but isn't this about the 4th charity donation in the memory of acemcmac thing that's been posted?

No. There was one other one, but I asked the mods to delete it after the family expressed different wishes to me, because I wanted no confusion. Anyone who Paypal donated in the previous thread (which was only two people) was contacted to make sure they were okay with their money going to this instead.

I'm really trying to do a good thing here, guys. Please cut me some slack.

SP33Demon

Lifer
Jun 22, 2001
Donation sent, please people don't drive drunk and don't let people you know ever get behind the wheel drunk either.

KarenMarie

Elite Member
Sep 20, 2003
I just received an additional two donations to my paypal account.

I thank you both and will get in touch with thelonelyphoenix to keep the OP updated.

Thank you sp33demon and mugs.

:)

KarenMarie

Elite Member
Sep 20, 2003
oh.. and may i please ask...

on the paypal donation ... for the info, please let me know your Anandtech user name.

thanks!

olds

Elite Member
Mar 3, 2000
Originally posted by: KarenMarie
oh.. and may i please ask...

on the paypal donation ... for the info, please let me know your Anandtech user name.

thanks!

oldsmoboat
o-l-d-s-m-o-b-o-a-t

:p

TheLonelyPhoenix

Diamond Member
Feb 15, 2004
I'll post the usernames of people who have donated, but no dollar amounts. If you choose to donate directly, please indicate in the thread once you have and I'll add you to the list.

mugs

Lifer
Apr 29, 2003
Originally posted by: TheLonelyPhoenix
I'll post the usernames of people who have donated, but no dollar amounts. If you choose to donate directly, please indicate in the thread once you have and I'll add you to the list.

Once you get a bunch of donations you should post the total donated periodically.

KarenMarie

Elite Member
Sep 20, 2003
Originally posted by: Coquito
So are we still paypaling, or do we send a check to the school?

Your choice.

If you would like to send a check directly and individually, the address is listed in the OP. Make sure you include a note that it is for Richard Smith.

If you would like to be part of the community donation, my paypal is listed above, too

karenmarie@comcast.net