Donald Trump pulls his Doral property from consideration for G-7 after bipartisan blowback

JEDIYoda

Lifer
Jul 13, 2005
It really is too late, the damage to your presidency has been done and to top that off this is not a game where you get to take back your mistakes and pretend that nothing happened!!

WASHINGTON – President Donald Trump announced late Saturday that he will not use his Doral golf resort in Miami for the G-7 summit next year, reversing course after the decision drew swift condemnation from Democratic and Republican lawmakers.

"Based on both Media & Democrat Crazed and Irrational Hostility, we will no longer consider Trump National Doral, Miami, as the Host Site for the G-7 in 2020," Trump posted on Twitter shortly before 10 p.m. ET Saturday. "We will begin the search for another site, including the possibility of Camp David, immediately."

In announcing the Doral pick just days earlier, White House acting chief of staff Mick Mulvaney described the resort as "the best place" to host the leaders of the world's most industrialized economies. Mulvaney tried to head off criticism about the propriety of using one of the president's properties, saying it was well suited for the summit.

Republicans expressed relief Saturday.

Former White House press Secretary Ari Fleischer simply tweeted: “Good call.”

Bradley Moss, a national security lawyer, tweeted:

“Wow, the pressure from within the Republican caucus must have been immense for him to so quickly back off.”
Matt Mackowiak, a veteran GOP consultant, said the reason for the backtrack was clear: "Loss of Republican support and he never does anything at cost."

Mulvaney had initially dismissed Camp David, the presidential retreat in Maryland. President Barack Obama held the meeting there in 2012.

There is more -- https://www.usatoday.com/story/news...g-7-following-criticism-lawmakers/4014702002/

thraashman

Lifer
Apr 10, 2000
The problem is that the second the Trump admin claimed that Trump would provide the property at cost they admitted that Trump did not divest himself of his business like he claimed and that he's still in control. They're literally handing evidence to the emoluments case against him. The corruption of this admin is remarkable.

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
Did this really need its own thread? It's already been discussed in the original thread on the subject.

Reactions: ElFenix

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
Can't...hold...it....back...
giphy.gif

Reactions: Thebobo

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
My moral compass is perfect, the best ever. I put my finger in my ass and stick it in the wind. If I can smell it I go in that direction.

Reactions: tweaker2

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
Trump now lying by saying he was going to offer his place for free.

BTW I thought he turned his operations of the businesses to sons and does not discuss it with them? How could he offer up any use of hotels under that premise??

GoPackGo

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 2003
Trump now lying by saying he was going to offer his place for free.

BTW I thought he turned his operations of the businesses to sons and does not discuss it with them? How could he offer up any use of hotels under that premise??

All he does is lie. If he said from the start I will host it at this location free to all of those involved maybe there wouldn't have been as much push back...

Reactions: tweaker2

Hayabusa Rider

Admin Emeritus & Elite Member
Jan 26, 2000
My moral compass is perfect, the best ever. I put my finger in my ass and stick it in the wind. If I can smell it I go in that direction.

There's an actual study about the direction dogs face when they poop. Yep, and there's a reason for it, to determine if dogs have a sense of compass direction and what behaviors are influenced by it.

Lately, I notice that when my dogs take a dump it's in the direction of Trump, wherever he may be. Coincidence? I THINK NOT!

tweaker2

Lifer
Aug 5, 2000
All he does is lie. If he said from the start I will host it at this location free to all of those involved maybe there wouldn't have been as much push back...

This is classic Trump at his worst. Time after time he "trusts his instincts" and makes crippling self-destructive decisions free of the very useful advice he could've taken into consideration from his underlings, only to walk them back in humiliating fashion.

His whole administration is, through the process of attrition, sycophants who've had to become damage control experts under the guise of having actual skills applicable to the jobs they've been assigned to.

It's the only use Trump has for them.