Donald Trump 2020

Page 41 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Feb 4, 2009
Here we go! ... It was just a matter of time before he calls to postpone the election...

You know if he had some friends in Congress besides a tiny hand worth. This would be a good idea.
But shitting on 40-60% of the house and 50% of the Senate and 30% of the state governors for YEARS wasn’t the smart way to being this discussion.

Delay means if Corona is raging in November put the vote off to December or January. Don’t change the Inauguration Day.

Feb 4, 2009
Naaaah no chance of this happening... i’ve read that on here many times...

Think he’d FORCE a delay if he was ahead in the polls?

There isn’t a way Constitution is very clear about inauguration day and Election Day. There is no wiggle room.

VRAMdemon

Diamond Member
Aug 16, 2012
If he delays it. Televise the look on his face on Jan 20 when President Pelosi orders him and Pence dragged from their respective residences and dumped in the street.

Ajay

Lifer
Jan 8, 2001
Not sure about the date of election, but the date of inauguration (transfer of power) is fixed in the constitution:
Amendment 20 - Presidential, Congressional Terms. Ratified 1/23/1933.
1. The terms of the President and Vice President shall end at noon on the 20th day of
January, and the terms of Senators and Representatives at noon on the 3d day of January,
of the years in which such terms would have ended if this article had not been ratified;
and the terms of their successors shall then begin.
2. The Congress shall assemble at least once in every year, and such meeting shall begin
at noon on the 3d day of January, unless they shall by law appoint a different day.
3. If, at the time fixed for the beginning of the term of the President, the President elect
shall have died, the Vice President elect shall become President. If a President shall not
have been chosen before the time fixed for the beginning of his term, or if the President
elect shall have failed to qualify, then the Vice President elect shall act as President until
a President shall have qualified; and the Congress may by law provide for the case
wherein neither a President elect nor a Vice President elect shall have qualified, declaring
who shall then act as President, or the manner in which one who is to act shall be
selected, and such person shall act accordingly until a President or Vice President shall
have qualified.
4. The Congress may by law provide for the case of the death of any of the persons from
whom the House of Representatives may choose a President whenever the right of choice
shall have devolved upon them, and for the case of the death of any of the persons from
whom the Senate may choose a Vice President whenever the right of choice shall have
devolved upon them.
5. Sections 1 and 2 shall take effect on the 15th day of October following the ratification
of this article.
6. This article shall be inoperative unless it shall have been ratified as an amendment to
the Constitution by the legislatures of three-fourths of the several States within seven
years from the date of its submission.

Feb 4, 2009
That's where the crisis part comes in. What if enough States don't hold a vote for anyone to get to 270 or what happens if the now President Pelosi gets sworn in and nobody listens to her?
I think we are a way off from that.

So per Google I answered this question, if States dont send EC Voters to meet in December (this year it is 12/14 set in stone) the Senate can compel the states to do so but that appears to be it. The Senate cannot choose who the EC members are.
The President and Vice President are out of office by noon on 1/20 following year. Regardless if a vote happens or not.
This is the very clear part if no President elect or if President elect has died, House picks (ie: Nancy) becomes the President Senate picks (ie: Mitch) becomes the Vice President. End of story no question about it.
There is wiggle room for emergencies and States may delay voting, the deplorable's will shout the President has lots of wiggle room over this but it is a State decision.
So yes in a real outlandish way the deplorable States could drag their feet about sending EC Voters and I cannot imagine our current Senate being that tough on deplorable States but even if the Senate lets it slide we will have President Pelosi. Other remote possibility is a couple of deplorable States don't follow their election results and send Don Jr & Ivanka as EC Voters which changes the total but the mud hut deplorable States are going to vote Trump anyways so this is pretty unlikely. What would need to happen is a super tight race and Biden wins TX, maybe in this outlandish scenario TX could sent MAGA folks to represent Biden.

Last edited:
Feb 4, 2009
Mitch wouldn't give up his current power for a VP slot no matter who the President was.

I'm no expert but what I read said Congress shall appoint, in this scenario it doesn't appear to be a particular person. So Nancy would likely pick Biden and Mitch would pick who knows but I doubt it would be Trump.
Again we can get into all sorts of nightmare scenarios like what happens if the Justice Department arrests all Democrat Senators and House members thus they cannot fulfill their voting duty and such but at that point there is such a massive failure that it would be time to do something different.

UNCjigga

Lifer
Dec 12, 2000

Obvi he cares more about his Twitter bots than he does the American people.

4f5b3852fdecd1b11def27a97314c04a.jpg

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
Naaaah no chance of this happening... i’ve read that on here many times...

Think he’d FORCE a delay if he was ahead in the polls?

Remember when ATer's such as boomerdung and cumpupiz and brandonbullshit said that Obama would try to postpone elections and refuse to step down?

lol--I do!

• Love
Reactions: skyking and cytg111
Status
Not open for further replies.