Dominican Republic

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

KMFJD

Lifer
Aug 11, 2005
zGTtYdU.jpg
Looks like beach by my place as well, i could use a nice ice cold presidente

Scarpozzi

Lifer
Jun 13, 2000
Some friends of mine went to DR years ago. A neighbor of mine from 15+ years ago got his MD there.... (so I guess he's a DR MD?)

My take on the place was that it's a decent place to visit for all-inclusive resorts, but from my airports, it was cheaper to fly to other islands. I also was weary about the water. After traveling to Cancun years ago and getting sick from what I'm guessing was the water or ice or perhaps some other contamination, I'd rather stick to places with good filtration.

I'm heading back to Hawaii in September, but am looking at Aruba or Barbados for February. I'm trying to decide what is going to be a better pick.

nakedfrog

No Lifer
Apr 3, 2001
Some friends of mine went to DR years ago. A neighbor of mine from 15+ years ago got his MD there.... (so I guess he's a DR MD?)

My take on the place was that it's a decent place to visit for all-inclusive resorts, but from my airports, it was cheaper to fly to other islands. I also was weary about the water. After traveling to Cancun years ago and getting sick from what I'm guessing was the water or ice or perhaps some other contamination, I'd rather stick to places with good filtration.

I'm heading back to Hawaii in September, but am looking at Aruba or Barbados for February. I'm trying to decide what is going to be a better pick.
Wary.

ponyo

Lifer
Feb 14, 2002

If you want clean drinking tap water, Aruba is the place. Aruba has large ocean water filtering plant that provides ample clean drinking water. I've read Aruba has world's second cleanest drinking water behind Canada. You don't need to buy bottled water in Aruba. I just fill up tap water in water bottle and drink from that.

manly

Lifer
Jan 25, 2000
I don't know about the prevalence of crime, but the DR has a relatively strong economy (see per capita GDP) for Caribbean nations due to a high tourism industry. It's the other half of Hispaniola that is extremely impoverished.

Reactions: Captante

Scarpozzi

Lifer
Jun 13, 2000
I don't know about the prevalence of crime, but the DR has a relatively strong economy (see per capita GDP) for Caribbean nations due to a high tourism industry. It's the other half of Hispaniola that is extremely impoverished.
Yeah....the Haiti side is in bad shape because of hurricanes and earthquakes and has always suffered from corruption. It's really bad too when red cross and all these other groups continue temporary support, but can't seem to do anything lasting there. I feel like a lot of money was collected and diverted the last few catastrophes.

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
Been to both Aruba and Barbados. I'd pick Aruba over Barbados. Barbados was cool but my experience there was a bit different because we stayed in this luxury villa on Sandy Lane beach area, which is like the rich of the rich. It was a $45k/week 9 bedroom villa that included butler/food service, but we got it for free. So yeah, not quite the "normal" experience there, but we did go to the peasant places as well. I just prefer the vibe in Aruba more and found the people in Aruba nicer.

I'm going back to Aruba this November for my 40th birthday which will be my 6th time there.

Another place to consider is Grand Cayman. That place is fantastic and has clean water for sure. It's pricey there though. I'll be going there probably early next year as Southwest has started flying back there and direct flights from here are starting in November.

RearAdmiral

Platinum Member
Jun 24, 2004
Nice. Take a feet stuck in sand nap for me. Makes me miss my honeymoon in Curacao, speaking of Aruba.

Scarpozzi

Lifer
Jun 13, 2000
Been to both Aruba and Barbados. I'd pick Aruba over Barbados. Barbados was cool but my experience there was a bit different because we stayed in this luxury villa on Sandy Lane beach area, which is like the rich of the rich. It was a $45k/week 9 bedroom villa that included butler/food service, but we got it for free. So yeah, not quite the "normal" experience there, but we did go to the peasant places as well. I just prefer the vibe in Aruba more and found the people in Aruba nicer.

I'm going back to Aruba this November for my 40th birthday which will be my 6th time there.

Another place to consider is Grand Cayman. That place is fantastic and has clean water for sure. It's pricey there though. I'll be going there probably early next year as Southwest has started flying back there and direct flights from here are starting in November.
I'll keep that in mind. Unfortunately, most of the no-frills airlines have left my regional airports. It's making it tougher to find really cheap flights.

I said Aruba or Barbados, but forgot my wife even suggested staying in the states and just hitting up Miami. We could always do Miami and/or Key West and probably maximize the value due to more hotel options since we'll be burning points for free stays/food.

ponyo

Lifer
Feb 14, 2002

I probably won't go back to Aruba until they get rid of PCR covid test requirement to visit the island. That's the same reason I won't visit Puerto Rico, Hawaii, or any island that requires covid test before entry.

Top reason I picked DR was because they got rid of covid test requirement to enter the country. And DR government is providing free covid test for reentry into the US for all hotel guests in addition to free medical coverage in event of contracting covid and free lodging til recovery. That's good service and shows DR really wants foreign tourists to visit. They were losing lot of tourist dollars to Mexico which is why DR changed their policy and got rid of covid testing requirement. I actually booked Costa Rica first before canceling and changing it to DR. Costa Rica stopped requiring covid test to enter also because they were losing too much tourist dollars to Mexico but they still have the BS mandatory covid insurance requirement to enter Costa Rica in case you get covid while visiting the country. It was like $240 for week of insurance for family of 3 last I checked. And most resorts in Costa Rica charge like $100-150 per person for covid test for reentry into the US. If these countries want US tourist dollars, they're going to have to step up and match policies of Mexico and Dominican Republic. At least they won't get my tourist dollars until then. I don't need the extra hassle just to go on vacation when I have hassle free options. Which is why I'm headed back to Cancun, MX, next month.

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
I probably won't go back to Aruba until they get rid of PCR covid test requirement to visit the island. That's the same reason I won't visit Puerto Rico, Hawaii, or any island that requires covid test before entry.

Top reason I picked DR was because they got rid of covid test requirement to enter the country. And DR government is providing free covid test for reentry into the US for all hotel guests in addition to free medical coverage in event of contracting covid and free lodging til recovery. That's good service and shows DR really wants foreign tourists to visit. They were losing lot of tourist dollars to Mexico which is why DR changed their policy and got rid of covid testing requirement. I actually booked Costa Rica first before canceling and changing it to DR. Costa Rica stopped requiring covid test to enter also because they were losing too much tourist dollars to Mexico but they still have the BS mandatory covid insurance requirement to enter Costa Rica in case you get covid while visiting the country. It was like $240 for week of insurance for family of 3 last I checked. And most resorts in Costa Rica charge like $100-150 per person for covid test for reentry into the US. If these countries want US tourist dollars, they're going to have to step up and match policies of Mexico and Dominican Republic. At least they won't get my tourist dollars until then. I don't need the extra hassle just to go on vacation when I have hassle free options. Which is why I'm headed back to Cancun, MX, next month.
We had to get covid tests before St. Thomas. It wasn't a big deal to us. Part of the reason we also picked St. Thomas though was because we didn't need a test for re-entry since it's a US territory.

Scarpozzi

Lifer
Jun 13, 2000

I'm hoping Hawaii drops the requirement by September. I don't mind getting tested, but hate that the short list of approved testing centers aren't associated with any of the labs I can get testing done for free. I'd have to put up $140 and deal with CVS or Walgreens.

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001

Cases like these are why a little wariness is justified.
If that's all we have to worry about in the DR, why do people even think about living in the USA with daily mass shootings?

I remember the very first time I went to Aruba it was a month after Natalie Holloway went missing. My parents and everyone I knew was freaking out. It was literally the first time I was ever going out of the country.

Aruba couldn't have felt more safe. I feel safer there than when I go out in the nice parts of DC. A lot of Americans are just clueless about what life is like outside of the USA. Many of my family is in that list as well.

As I mentioned I'm going to Aruba this year for my 40th and we're going with a large group. I asked one of my friends about it and he said he talked to his wife and was asking me if it's unsafe, because some coworker told his wife that Aruba is not safe. And then he brought up Natalie Holloway as an example. That was back in 2005 and Americans think it's still relevant and something to worry about.

I let him know that Aruba is probably the safest of the Islands that you can go to. And you can even venture out and rent a car and not worry at all about driving all over the island. My other friend was here when he said that too, and he was on one of the trips to Aruba and he was like "you're wife's friend is an idiot - it's super safe there."

Reactions: KMFJD

ponyo

Lifer
Feb 14, 2002
I'm hoping Hawaii drops the requirement by September. I don't mind getting tested, but hate that the short list of approved testing centers aren't associated with any of the labs I can get testing done for free. I'd have to put up $140 and deal with CVS or Walgreens.
Check rental car rates. I found some cheap airfares to Hawaii but rental car rates were stupid expensive and that combined with required covid test for entry into Hawaii really turned me off. Plus, it's a long flight to Hawaii from the East coast with transfer involved on Southwest vs I can be in Mexico or Caribbean in 2-3 hours. I'm just killing time until Asia, Europe, and South America opens back up. Now that parts of Europe and South Korea are open, that's where I'm going next. I just need Vietnam, Thailand Indonesia, Malaysia, Japan, and others to open as well.

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
If that's all we have to worry about in the DR, why do people even think about living in the USA with daily mass shootings?

I remember the very first time I went to Aruba it was a month after Natalie Holloway went missing. My parents and everyone I knew was freaking out. It was literally the first time I was ever going out of the country.

Aruba couldn't have felt more safe. I feel safer there than when I go out in the nice parts of DC. A lot of Americans are just clueless about what life is like outside of the USA. Many of my family is in that list as well.

As I mentioned I'm going to Aruba this year for my 40th and we're going with a large group. I asked one of my friends about it and he said he talked to his wife and was asking me if it's unsafe, because some coworker told his wife that Aruba is not safe. And then he brought up Natalie Holloway as an example. That was back in 2005 and Americans think it's still relevant and something to worry about.

I let him know that Aruba is probably the safest of the Islands that you can go to. And you can even venture out and rent a car and not worry at all about driving all over the island. My other friend was here when he said that too, and he was on one of the trips to Aruba and he was like "you're wife's friend is an idiot - it's super safe there."

A decent amount of Americans do indeed have zero clue about what life can be like outside this country. When my father emigrated here, he eventually joined the army, and was based in the South. He was from Cyprus. He said he was asked all the times really dumb questions about life there, to the point he summed it up as the questions were about as dumb as 'Do you people even own shoes there?' Of course there are many countries that do indeed have horrific poverty on scales and percentages that are far higher than ours. But it's just a general thought about foreign countries that a decent amount of people do have.

In other words, a lot of Americans just don't think a well-functioning society can really exist outside these borders. And frankly, when I was younger, I kinda thought that way a bit too. And it certainly didn't come from my own family and upbringing, it came from society. When my parents took me overseas when I was younger, I caught myself being a bit surprised at how everything was so damn nice there. I too had bought into the, well nothing can be as nice as it is here mentality.

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
A decent amount of Americans do indeed have zero clue about what life can be like outside this country. When my father emigrated here, he eventually joined the army, and was based in the South. He was from Cyprus. He said he was asked all the times really dumb questions about life there, to the point he summed it up as the questions were about as dumb as 'Do you people even own shoes there?' Of course there are many countries that do indeed have horrific poverty on scales and percentages that are far higher than ours. But it's just a general thought about foreign countries that a decent amount of people do have.

In other words, a lot of Americans just don't think a well-functioning society can really exist outside these borders. And frankly, when I was younger, I kinda thought that way a bit too. And it certainly didn't come from my own family and upbringing, it came from society. When my parents took me overseas when I was younger, I caught myself being a bit surprised at how everything was so damn nice there. I too had bought into the, well nothing can be as nice as it is here mentality.
Yeah. My mom, who has been out of the country exactly one time in her whole life, and it was to Bermuda on her honeymoon back in the 70's, is completely clueless about it and has made some really ignorant remarks about my wife's home country, Nicaragua. I can't recall exactly what it was, but it was 2 times and one of them was after I got back from Nicaragua with my wife back in 2007 and the ignorant questions she was asking.

The other was when she saw something on the news about poverty in a 3rd world country and was explaining it, and she was like "probably how it was in Nicaragua when you were there." and I was like "uhh, what?" It was at a dinner table too with the whole family so we didn't get into it or anything, but I basically just let her know how ignorant that sounded and she had not a clue what Nicaragua was like because she's never been there.

On the flipside, my wife came to the USA when she was 13, and because of movies, she thought everywhere in USA was like New York City lol, because NYC is in so many movies and makes everything look all perfect most of the time. And her family that still lives over there thinks everyone here is so rich and has such an easy life. Then her one uncle came here a couple years ago to stay for a while and he wanted to go back to Nicaragua because of how different it was here than he thought it would be and because of how much he had to work here compared to over there.

Scarpozzi

Lifer
Jun 13, 2000
Check rental car rates. I found some cheap airfares to Hawaii but rental car rates were stupid expensive and that combined with required covid test for entry into Hawaii really turned me off. Plus, it's a long flight to Hawaii from the East coast with transfer involved on Southwest vs I can be in Mexico or Caribbean in 2-3 hours. I'm just killing time until Asia, Europe, and South America opens back up. Now that parts of Europe and South Korea are open, that's where I'm going next. I just need Vietnam, Thailand Indonesia, Malaysia, Japan, and others to open as well.
Right.....I get it about the long haul flights and covid testing stuff. At the same time, my kids likely won't be vaccinated and I certainly hope they don't get exposed to covid on the trip. I'm just hopeful that every month from the peak this past Fall/Winter is going to help reduce the likelihood they are exposed.

I should have held out for Southwest since they started their 50% off sale yesterday...but I booked American.....4 tickets for $2300 total. Southwest was $2200 at the time and is now $1600 with the discounts. Southwest is doing direct flights to Hawaii from Pheonix, Las Vegas, LAX, and Oakland, so it's pretty easy to pickup a connection if you don't mind sitting on a 737 that long.

We'll probably shift to the dirty Caribbean before too long for the same reasons you're going. We could see Maui from the Big Island last year and put it on our list of the next place to go....so we're not holding back. Kids are going to be 7 and 9 on this trip, so we only have about 9 more years of dragging them around before they go to college. I want to travel as much as we can with them for the memories.

ponyo

Lifer
Feb 14, 2002
grab some Sancocho and La Bandera for a hearty Dominican meal, i've been craving fried fish from my favorite place in Maimon (close to where the cruise ships dockin in Puerto Plata)
I didn't see any Sancocho and La Bandera at the Live Aqua Punta Cana resort. Didn't see it at breakfast buffet I had this morning and any of the restaurants I ate here. The blood sausage I had was pretty good but overall, food at Live Aqua was major disappointment. I must gained like 10 pounds past week from eating all the mediocre food. I tried all restaurants and ordered just about every dish at least once. But since I ordered it, I felt compelled to eat it even if it tasted terrible so I wouldn't waste. My wife and I are swearing off all inclusive after this and my daughter agreed we should never again go to all inclusive. We love food and while this resort is beautiful and we had a great time, good food is too important to us to stay at all inclusive again.

Scarpozzi

Lifer
Jun 13, 2000
I didn't see any Sancocho and La Bandera at the Live Aqua Punta Cana resort. Didn't see it at breakfast buffet I had this morning and any of the restaurants I ate here. The blood sausage I had was pretty good but overall, food at Live Aqua was major disappointment. I must gained like 10 pounds past week from eating all the mediocre food. I tried all restaurants and ordered just about every dish at least once. But since I ordered it, I felt compelled to eat it even if it tasted terrible so I wouldn't waste. My wife and I are swearing off all inclusive after this and my daughter agreed we should never again go to all inclusive. We love food and while this resort is beautiful and we had a great time, good food is too important to us to stay at all inclusive again.
In 2005, my wife and I hit up an all-inclusive in Cancun (before we were married)... There was a 24 hour bar that served gross hot dogs and nachos in the courtyard. The property had a few good restaurants that required reservations, but they limited your visits to those without paying a bunch more money over the normal all inclusive fees that were already $65/pp per day....(food and alcohol). Food in the main buffet hall was alright....they had decent fresh options for fruits and vegetables, but entrees were somewhat limited.

Again, I liked Hawaii because we really enjoyed the food options at the Hilton in Waikoloa Village and didn't have to drive anywhere. I'm guessing the Waldorf on Maui will be similar with a few good restaurants and breakfast options.

ponyo

Lifer
Feb 14, 2002
Right.....I get it about the long haul flights and covid testing stuff. At the same time, my kids likely won't be vaccinated and I certainly hope they don't get exposed to covid on the trip. I'm just hopeful that every month from the peak this past Fall/Winter is going to help reduce the likelihood they are exposed.

I should have held out for Southwest since they started their 50% off sale yesterday...but I booked American.....4 tickets for $2300 total. Southwest was $2200 at the time and is now $1600 with the discounts. Southwest is doing direct flights to Hawaii from Pheonix, Las Vegas, LAX, and Oakland, so it's pretty easy to pickup a connection if you don't mind sitting on a 737 that long.

We'll probably shift to the dirty Caribbean before too long for the same reasons you're going. We could see Maui from the Big Island last year and put it on our list of the next place to go....so we're not holding back. Kids are going to be 7 and 9 on this trip, so we only have about 9 more years of dragging them around before they go to college. I want to travel as much as we can with them for the memories.
$2,300 is great price for 4 tickets. You got a great deal. Enjoy your Hawaii trip with your family. Experiences and memories are invaluable and priceless.

My family and relatives are all vaccinated except for my 2 nephews. My sister won't vaccinate them even though they qualify. My sister and my nephews will join me in Cancun next month. My nephews have never traveled internationally so I paid for their trip so they could join us. I'm going to spoil them when we're in Cancun. I just wish they were vaccinated because I know Cancun and the JW Marriott hotel we're staying at are going to be packed with people.

Scarpozzi

Lifer
Jun 13, 2000
$2,300 is great price for 4 tickets. You got a great deal. Enjoy your Hawaii trip with your family. Experiences and memories are invaluable and priceless.

My family and relatives are all vaccinated except for my 2 nephews. My sister won't vaccinate them even though they qualify. My sister and my nephews will join me in Cancun next month. My nephews have never traveled internationally so I paid for their trip so they could join us. I'm going to spoil them when we're in Cancun. I just wish they were vaccinated because I know Cancun and the JW Marriott hotel we're staying at are going to be packed with people.
By spoil them, I assume that means you'll buy the good weed and not that stuff from Mercado Veintiocho. :D Kidding...I don't touch the stuff or condone it, but it seems when we were there we were asked to buy the stuff everywhere. I just didn't think it was a good idea to buy drugs in Mexico considering what their prison system is like. Additionally, cancun just had a drive-by jet ski shooting to take out some street vendors that were selling the stuff.

I booked the trip in 2020 to Hawaii because United was running a sale...we got 4 tickets for $1818 total BEFORE the pandemic. Southwest and Alaskan Airlines were driving competition to cut their basic fares. $1600 on Southwest is dirt cheap for the mileage and baggage they fly. Anyone wanting to go should give it a hard look in the next 24 hours.

I know the feeling on the vaccine. I'm just hoping enough of the rich folks already had covid or got vaccinated. I was in Hilton Head last week and was sitting next to a bunch of rich folks by the pool....older ladies sunning themselves while their doctor husbands golfed. They told me they all got covid (husbands included) back in December. I think from those November-January spikes in numbers before the vaccine was available actually made as much of a difference as the vaccine itself has. That seems to have been the biggest wave and hopefully will keep the herd immunity going through next year. I'm just going to mask my kids up and keep using wipes and sanitizer to keep their hands clean. Maybe that stupid covid test rule will help keep some of the sickies off the planes.

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
my kids likely won't be vaccinated and I certainly hope they don't get exposed to covid on the trip

Sorry to be the wet blanket/voice of reason here BUT I certainly would NOT be taking my unvaccinated kids on a plane right now. (vacation spots WILL still be there in a few months)

:confused_old:

Frankly I'm not bringing my daughter to a baseball game outdoors until two weeks after shot #2 ... better to err on the side of caution.

Last edited:

Scarpozzi

Lifer
Jun 13, 2000
Sorry to be the wet blanket/voice of reason here BUT I certainly would NOT be taking my unvaccinated kids on a plane right now. (vacation spots WILL still be there in a few months)

:confused_old:

Frankly I'm not bringing my daughter to a baseball game outdoors until two weeks after shot #2 ... better to err on the side of caution.
I understand. We're watching things and can easily cancel their plane tickets if we see a spike or don't see continual decline. We just had a lot of things line up on this trip, so it looks like a good time to go. Btw...I appreciate the voice of reason. I'm protective of my kids and certainly don't want them to be exposed. Living in the South, however, we've seen a lot of people NOT using caution and the numbers still appear to be declining rapidly. By September, unless there's a major spike...we may be well on the other side of it if school doesn't spark outbreaks.

Also, I contacted Amex and was able to switch the airline credits on my card so we'll have money for checked bags and extra food/drinks if they offer those by then. Anyone done long flights to know what they do for food/beverage service?

Last edited: