Dominican Republic

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

KMFJD

Lifer
Aug 11, 2005
I didn't see any Sancocho and La Bandera at the Live Aqua Punta Cana resort. Didn't see it at breakfast buffet I had this morning and any of the restaurants I ate here. The blood sausage I had was pretty good but overall, food at Live Aqua was major disappointment. I must gained like 10 pounds past week from eating all the mediocre food. I tried all restaurants and ordered just about every dish at least once. But since I ordered it, I felt compelled to eat it even if it tasted terrible so I wouldn't waste. My wife and I are swearing off all inclusive after this and my daughter agreed we should never again go to all inclusive. We love food and while this resort is beautiful and we had a great time, good food is too important to us to stay at all inclusive again.
Yeah those are local Dominican dishes you won't likely see at an AI , the food off the resorts is excellent i find, lotsa expat from Europe opened up restaurants in our area, the food is always fresh and well prepared.

wilsons.JPG

This is a place on the beach popular with tourists and expats, all cooked over wood stove

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
I took my 6 year old and 9 month old on a plane to/from St. Thomas. It was like a 3.5 hour direct flight. Everyone on the planes were wearing masks the whole flight (except my 9 month old) and everyone on the plane had a negative covid test within the past 5 days so I felt safe about it.

Reactions: Captante

manly

Lifer
Jan 25, 2000
Sorry to be the wet blanket/voice of reason here BUT I certainly would NOT be taking my unvaccinated kids on a plane right now. (vacation spots WILL still be there in a few months)

:confused_old:

Frankly I'm not bringing my daughter to a baseball game outdoors until two weeks after shot #2 ... better to err on the side of caution.
I don't disagree about vacationing with unvaccinated children. The raw odds of getting symptomatic Covid-19 are extremely low, but flying to Mexico isn't entirely risk-free.

Having said that, doesn't your daughter have natural immunity? Outdoors is relatively safe and although the ballgames will still be there in a month, the level of SARS-CoV-2 in communities is getting pretty low in many parts of the U.S., particularly the NE where you are.

Reactions: Captante

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
I understand. We're watching things and can easily cancel their plane tickets if we see a spike or don't see continual decline. We just had a lot of things line up on this trip, so it looks like a good time to go. Btw...I appreciate the voice of reason. I'm protective of my kids and certainly don't want them to be exposed. Living in the South, however, we've seen a lot of people NOT using caution and the numbers still appear to be declining rapidly. By September, unless there's a major spike...we may be well on the other side of it if school doesn't spark outbreaks.

Also, I contacted Amex and was able to switch the airline credits on my card so we'll have money for checked bags and extra food/drinks if they offer those by then. Anyone done long flights to know what they do for food/beverage service?

No worries ... the beautiful thing about advice (even the prudent kind!) is that you are free to take it or leave it.

;)

From my standpoint if I kept my mouth shut and later read about (god forbid) one of your kids getting sick I would feel terrible.

Just whatever you do please be careful! :)

I don't disagree about vacationing with unvaccinated children. The raw odds of getting symptomatic Covid-19 are extremely low, but flying to Mexico isn't entirely risk-free.

Having said that, doesn't your daughter have natural immunity? Outdoors is relatively safe and although the ballgames will still be there in a month, the level of SARS-CoV-2 in communities is getting pretty low in many parts of the U.S., particularly the NE where you are.

Read a Cleveland clinic study a couple weeks ago which determined that HAVING Covid (the original strain) meant you were far less likely to come down with it again to the point that a vaccine is nearly redundant.

They did however make a point of saying that there was no data related to potential mutations which is my main concern.

Having said all of that, getting crappy-ish seats AND feeling like a bit of a pariah is also part of the issue lol. Citi Field is 90% "vaccinated-only" and you need to show proof. (ie: CDC card)

Last edited:
Reactions: Scarpozzi

FelixDeCat

Lifer
Aug 4, 2000
Yeah those are local Dominican dishes you won't likely see at an AI , the food off the resorts is excellent i find, lotsa expat from Europe opened up restaurants in our area, the food is always fresh and well prepared.

View attachment 45852

This is a place on the beach popular with tourists and expats, all cooked over wood stove

What - no tartar sauce? ;)

ponyo

Lifer
Feb 14, 2002

View attachment 45852

That's type of dish I enjoy. I would've taken taxi to that place if it wasn't too far. But I came back home last night.

Reactions: KMFJD

KMFJD

Lifer
Aug 11, 2005
North Coast (Puerto Plata area) i can definitely help out with food suggestions or things to see/do

Reactions: ponyo

KMFJD

Lifer
Aug 11, 2005
There's soo much new construction here , condo's and villa's being built all over the place, Condo's starting at 70k USD in Playa Dorada, traffic is busier than i can remember as well, taxi drivers are still a PITA always overtaking you only to stop at the side of the road to pick or drop people off only 300 meters latter....food is amazing as always...