The Godfather

Platinum Member
Jan 13, 2005
Hi. This is my first time registering a .com domain so idk how this works. Basically i just bought the 4$/year plan, and registered a domain. They said that it will be active in 24 hours. When i go to my control panel (this is 5 minutes after i registered it) i don't see where i have to put the links of all my html's, folders.. everything?

dighn

Lifer
Aug 12, 2001
if you only registered for a domain, you also need to get a web host. I recommend www.hostpc.com

alternatively you could host it on your own machine, but you need a static IP, a whole bunch of setup and configuration and have to keep your machine on 24/7

Rip the Jacker

Diamond Member
Dec 29, 2004
Namecheap pwns.
Usually you have to set the nameservers to what your host tells you to use, like ns1.yourhost.com and ns2.yourhost.com in CPanel or a similar administration panel.

The Godfather

Platinum Member
Jan 13, 2005
Nono.. I can host my files on an ftp server i have access to. I just wanna know where do i do that? In the control panel i dont see the space. Do i have to wait for the 24 hours?

Rip the Jacker

Diamond Member
Dec 29, 2004
Originally posted by: The Godfather
Nono.. I can host my files on an ftp server i have access to. I just wanna know where do i do that? In the control panel i dont see the space. Do i have to wait for the 24 hours?

Well, I don't know about other domain name registrars but I got my .com domain to work in less than 5 minutes with Namecheap.

Sid59

Lifer
Sep 2, 2002

i don't follow.

you have an ftp server, i assume the server that's gonna host all your files. You should be able to upload to this server regardless of a resolving DNS, provided that you have the IP of the ftp.

you're domain needs nameservers in which it points to a server, the same server where you host your files.

after your domain resolves through all the fancy stuff, you're gonna pretty much use the domain as the ftp login (usually).

the control panel to your domain, i assume through the website you bought it from, has nothing to do with administration of your ftp files, UNLESS you bought hosting from your domain provider.

again, i'm lost without clues.

The Godfather

Platinum Member
Jan 13, 2005
Look. Example:

I hosted my index.html, all the images and bullshit on my FTP.

Now i need to put a link to my index.html, so my .com reads the file.

Sid59

Lifer
Sep 2, 2002
Look. Example:

you'll need the nameservers for your domain to POINT to the server.

edit:

unless you use your domain as a redirect to point to an existing webpage.

dighn

Lifer
Aug 12, 2001
Look. Example:

that's not how it works. you need to set up a name server, and a proper HTTP server.

please give us more details on what you have and what you want to do

Rip the Jacker

Diamond Member
Dec 29, 2004
Look. Example:

:confused:

So you setup the nameservers already?

The Godfather

Platinum Member
Jan 13, 2005
What the hell are nameservers? How do you set that up? Help me out pls. I just lost some money if i dont do this.

dighn

Lifer
Aug 12, 2001
What the hell are nameservers? How do you set that up? Help me out pls. I just lost some money if i dont do this.

where is the FTP server hosted? is it on your own machine or setup by someone else? if the latter case, ask them if they have name servers setup.

also to be able to use http://www.yourdomain.com in a browser, you need a HTTP server, not an FTP server.

hjo3

Diamond Member
May 22, 2003
Wrong forum, plus getting belligerent doesn't make people want to help you more.

Sid59

Lifer
Sep 2, 2002
Ok look.

http://sharky.3dk.org is hosted by http://3dk.org. All my stuff are on an ftp they provided me with. I made a new directory for my new domain and i want to link my .com to that folder.

you can email the admins of 3dk.org for nameservers, that's a start.

edit: have fun. from you're last post, i can safely say that you can direct your domain to point to your folder on your ftp host.

enjoy.

The Godfather

Platinum Member
Jan 13, 2005
Ok i just recieved the nameservers. I updated it in my .com thing. It said Update Successfull. I still dont know how to direct it to my folder tho.