Domain and Internet setup

Jul 4, 2005
I'm trying to set up my domain controller/server right now, and I was wondering... Will it work to assign the other 2 computers in my network their IP addresses dynamically from the server, and have them be able to connect to the internet, if all 3 computers are getting an internet signal through the hub? I was reading about ICS and how you need 2 network cards, but then you can't use that on a domain server. Do I need to have a direct line from my ISP to my server, and then a line going out to the hub, which connects to the other 2 computers?

Edit: I've set the server up where it's IP is static, and for the client's DNS settings I set their preferred DNS to the server's IP. Then I tried to set the DNS forwarders but it said I couldn't set them because the server was root? Is this where I'm supposed to add my ISP's DNS IP's or are they supposed to be set somewhere else?

xollox

Feb 12, 2007
You can only have the 3 computers plugged into a hub that is plugged into your cable/dsl modem if you have multiple IP addresses from your ISP. Most residential ISPs don't give you multiple IPs, so it's probably not an option for you. This is also a bad option because there is no firewall between your network and the internet.

While Windows Server doesn't support ICS, it does support ISA (the enterprise version of ICS.) It has a bit of a learning curve, but might be worth looking into.

Your other option is to build/buy a router and put all 3 computers behind that. This is probably your best bet (easiest, most secure.)

Jul 4, 2005
Hmm, I'm not sure how our ISP is set up... but through the hub all 3 computers can access the internet if their IP settings are set to obtain automatically.

A router would be much less of a hassle to deal with than configuring the server. The server is basically just a file server, that we have some drives mapped to some folders, thats all. Is that my best bet then, get a router and ditch the plan for the server to assign the IP's?

xollox

Feb 12, 2007
Do the IP addresses your computers get look like any of these?
10.x.x.x
192.168.x.x
172.16.x.x

xollox

Feb 12, 2007
OK, just checking.

Yes, the router would be the best route, IMO.

You can still setup the server to hand out IP addresses (by setting up the DHCP server) or you can let the router do it. On a network of 3 computers it doesn't really matter which one.

Jul 4, 2005
Cool, the network is about to have 4 computers soon, so the router is going to be filled right up then. My pops is bringing a router in from home and I'm going to fix that up this afternoon.

I think I'll leave the router to assign the IP's and just keep the server set up for domain file sharing.

Thanks xollox.

stash

Diamond Member
Jun 22, 2000
So you're basically ignoring the advice we gave you in the other thread?

You're welcome.

Jul 4, 2005
Originally posted by: stash
So you're basically ignoring the advice we gave you in the other thread?

You're welcome.

What?! No not at all. I tried doing what you guys said but things still weren't working. I asked a question about setting it up and this guy suggested I just get a router. Since we did have a router lying around I figured I would save myself hours and hours of messing with this stuff for now and just get things working, which they are right now. I want to learn more about this stuff on my own time rather than wasting time at work. I really appreciate your guys help in the other thread, but it was still a little out of my league... and routers I can do lol.

Jul 4, 2005
I'm back at home right now and this is my last day at work, I would have loved to get things working through the server but I just didn't think I would have time plus I have a bunch of other stuff to get working on the computers here too. In no way did I mean to disrespect you guys by going with the firewall. Seriously thank you all for your help, and to you guys who helped with the server stuff, I'll be learning that stuff and how you layed it out helps immensely! Thanks again to everyone.