Dollar Twenty Five Tree

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

sportage

Lifer
Feb 1, 2008
My sister blames Biden. THE ANTI VAXXERS are really responsible. No one wants to work around "the Karen's" and the covid spreaders, so workers just won't work. And THAT causes prices to skyrocket. SKYROCKET!!!!! So I tell her don't blame Biden, BLAME YOURSELF because if you are blaming Biden I would bet that YOU are not vaccinated. And.... she isn't vaxxed.

Yet... I think some of the price hikes are simple greed. When is a better time for the Dollar Stores to raise prices??? A lot of rents and utilities are going up too because Social Security gave folks on SS a pretty big hike in benefits. I think 5.9 %. So.... knowing the old folks got a little more money to spend then why would they not raise prices? That 5.9% was suppose to offset what had already taken place with rising prices, but when the cost of rents and goods rose after that 5.9% SS hike, then as usual the seniors on fixed income take the hit. And medicare went up too for 2022. so that 5.9% ends up being a negative 3% for seniors.

Last edited:
Reactions: Pohemi and hal2kilo

pauldun170

Diamond Member
Sep 26, 2011
Poor people can get a free smartphone, too. Can't get mad about that when step one for applying for most jobs is "go to our website and fill out an application". So, yeah, invalid point there.
And it doesn't take much to get people mad. And when you're legit poor, that 0.25 per item means one less item you can buy with five bucks.
I'm not sure the "average American with a $1k smartphone" would even want to risk being seen inside a Dollar Tree.

I go to dollar tree a couple of times year.
They got awesome giant beer mugs.
I've gotten all sort of stuff from there.
Poster paper, bins supplies for our Scout troop trailer.

Typical shopper in my area are middle class moms.

nakedfrog

No Lifer
Apr 3, 2001
I go to dollar tree a couple of times year.
They got awesome giant beer mugs.
I've gotten all sort of stuff from there.
Poster paper, bins supplies for our Scout troop trailer.

Typical shopper in my area are middle class moms.
Yeah, it's great for little plastic storagey things that don't seem terribly different than what you'd get in other stores. Fun candy selection, too.

Wreckem

Diamond Member
Sep 23, 2006
My sister blames Biden. THE ANTI VAXXERS are really responsible. No one wants to work around "the Karen's" and the covid spreaders, so workers just won't work. And THAT causes prices to skyrocket. SKYROCKET!!!!! So I tell her don't blame Biden, BLAME YOURSELF because if you are blaming Biden I would bet that YOU are not vaccinated. And.... she isn't vaxxed.

Yet... I think some of the price hikes are simple greed. When is a better time for the Dollar Stores to raise prices??? A lot of rents and utilities are going up too because Social Security gave folks on SS a pretty big hike in benefits. I think 5.9 %. So.... knowing the old folks got a little more money to spend then why would they not raise prices? That 5.9% was suppose to offset what had already taken place with rising prices, but when the cost of rents and goods rose after that 5.9% SS hike, then as usual the seniors on fixed income take the hit. And medicare went up too for 2022. so that 5.9% ends up being a negative 3% for seniors.

it’s already shown most industries are in profit taking mode right now with their price hikes exceeding their rise in costs. We are at record profit margins for a majority of industries. This is why inflation isn’t going to go away as corporations will continue harvesting profits until prices cause buyers to stop buying

Reactions: Pohemi and hal2kilo

emperus

Diamond Member
Apr 6, 2012
I usually go there to pick up gift bags/wine gift bags/ribbons/bows. Things that makes sense spending $1 on. And once in a while I'll there for the aforementioned stuff I'll find a good deal on something I need. Picked up about ~300 ft role of PVC tape for $1 (it was great tape, should have purchased more). But it can also be a trap for some people who see the $1 price without thinking about the quantity of the item. They could have went to Costco and saved money. But, I do understand, at times it takes money to save money. Also, all the cheap items will eventually become waste. So, it's my go place when I need something quick in a small quantity that I'll most likely throw away.

Last edited:

hal2kilo

Lifer
Feb 24, 2009
it’s already shown most industries are in profit taking mode right now with their price hikes exceeding their rise in costs. We are at record profit margins for a majority of industries. This is why inflation isn’t going to go away as corporations will continue harvesting profits until prices cause buyers to stop buying
Yep, at this point, I've probably delayed about $30000 in things that I was going to do. I can wait.

manly

Lifer
Jan 25, 2000
I make a reasonable amount of money, and I've never financed a phone, and I've never paid more than $250 OOP for one either. But I also don't care if someone titters at me using a phone that's more than 2 generations old... not that I'd be likely to associate with such a person in the first place, nor they me.
sorry buddy, we can longer be friends. :tearsofjoy:

I usually go there to pick up gift bags/wine gift bags/ribbons/bows. Things that makes sense spending $1 on. And once in a while I'll there for the aforementioned stuff I'll find a good deal on something I need. Picked up about ~300 ft role of PVC tape for $1 (it was great tape, should have purchased more). But it can also be a trap for some people who see the $1 price without thinking about the quantity of the item. They could have went to Costco and saved money. But, I do understand, at times it takes money to save money. Also, all the cheap items will eventually become waste. So, it's my go place when I need something quick in a small quantity that I'll most likely throw away.
The typical customers are so different that there's not a whole lot of cross-shopping between Costco and Dollar Tree.