Dollar Twenty Five Tree

pete6032

Diamond Member
Dec 3, 2010
I read that they are the last chain to stop selling things for only $1. Other "dollar" stores were already selling more expensive items. Conservatives will blame this on Biden and inflation, no doubt.

Reactions: hal2kilo and Pohemi
Nov 17, 2019
I get a lot of stuff from DT. Most of it's OK, but you have to watch, because many items are half the size (4 oz instead of 8 for example) of the same item in other stores that you pay two dollars for. OK, two-fifty.

Zorba

Lifer
Oct 22, 1999
Think about what kind of product $1 got you in a DollarTree store thirty-five years ago compared to the goods they stock now. There's some questionably useable things there but most of it is absolute trash.
The last time I was in a dollar store was 20 years ago in college and it was all trash then. I doubt 20 years of inflation, even low inflation, has been good to them.

Reactions: Pohemi

BurnItDwn

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
I havent been to one in a long time, but, the one near me used to carry "Golden Krust Jamaican Spicy Beef Patties" which were better than most other frozen empanandas or meat pies from the store.

Pohemi

Diamond Member
Oct 2, 2004
The last time I was in a dollar store was 20 years ago in college and it was all trash then. I doubt 20 years of inflation, even low inflation, has been good to them.
I use to check out the BigLots near where I lived a few decades back, mainly for grocery items that rotated regularly. It was a good place to buy pasta, cereal, and a few select items when they had them.

DollarTree or similar stores though, I've only gone in a few times ever, and never purchased anything but a notepad and a screwdriver that I needed on-the-spot. That screwdriver broke the 2nd time I tried to use it, and I wasn't surprised. I think I might've purchased some cleaning product once as well, to expectedly discover at home that it was mostly water.

I now live on a tight, fixed income...and I won't bother going to dollar stores for anything. It's a waste of even a dollar (dollar twenty-five now?), imho.

Reactions: hal2kilo and Zorba

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
As a person with deep insecurities about my self worth, I became aware that I possessed an inordinate and practically unconscious and dismissive contempt for thrift or dollar stores when a person who grew up in poverty and backward Southern culture, but with a brilliantly sharp mind and someone I admire, told me she shops there and has purchased many things of use and value to her. Once again I was made aware I am an ass.

Zorba

Lifer
Oct 22, 1999
I use to check out the BigLots near where I lived a few decades back, mainly for grocery items that rotated regularly. It was a good place to buy pasta, cereal, and a few select items when they had them.

DollarTree or similar stores though, I've only gone in a few times ever, and never purchased anything but a notepad and a screwdriver that I needed on-the-spot. That screwdriver broke the 2nd time I tried to use it, and I wasn't surprised. I think I might've purchased some cleaning product once as well, to expectedly discover at home that it was mostly water.

I now live on a tight, fixed income...and I won't bother going to dollar stores for anything. It's a waste of even a dollar (dollar twenty-five now?), imho.
That was my experience in college, bought some cleaning supplies, and they were all a waste of money.

Reactions: Pohemi

hal2kilo

Lifer
Feb 24, 2009
That was my experience in college, bought some cleaning supplies, and they were all a waste of money.
Reminds me of when I was working at the EB shipyard. All these vendors would show up on the street on payday selling all kinds of tools, most of it was junk. I spotted a set of 5 small spin type hex nut socket tool set. They were like a $1.50. All I could lose was a $1.50. Well, everyone of those tools, the first time you used any pressure, the plastic handle would crumble in your hands like they were made out of sugar.

Mai72

Lifer
Sep 12, 2012
I can't believe the amount of outrage that this has gotten. An extra $0.25 an item. Wow. I'm trying to show some sympathy, and I feel for people who are having a difficult time paying their bills. But, when the average American has a $1k smartphone my sympthay is short lived. I wonder how many people who are complaining on this YouTube video have a $1k smartphone? They have to have some type of tech, or else they wouldn't be able to repsond in the comment section. Maybe its me. But, the anger is misguided IMO. If you're complianing about a $0.25 increase maybe you need to review some aspects of your life.

• Haha
Reactions: JimKiler

dullard

Elite Member
May 21, 2001
Psst: the average selling price of smart phones is in the $400 range. And you can go much lower than that or not buy new.

Reactions: nakedfrog

pauldun170

Diamond Member
Sep 26, 2011
The average American has a $1k smartphone

I'd like to see that data.
Which specific models?
A Samsung ranges from $150 to $1300
An Iphone runs from what $500 up (too lazy to look up top end iphones)

Meghan54

Lifer
Oct 18, 2009
Yes, it's you.

If you assume the average person has a $1000.00 phone, maybe you need to review some aspects of your life.

Also, when the price of ANYTHING rises by 25% overnight, some people are going to be hurt, whether you believe so or not.

He's a little Nancy-girl with the outlook that everyone is bringing down $100k per year and if you aren't, you are a failure. Tries to be an elitist and is nothing but a wanna-be, on the outside looking in.

balloonshark

Diamond Member
Jun 5, 2008
I'm the type of person who would regularly shop at a dollar store and I payed $100 for my phone like 3 years ago. I don't have unlimited service though and use tracfone service just to have a backup phone.

I would guess most people shopping there or anywhere end up paying an overpriced $100+ a month for a phone plus service plan from a big name carrier since most don't know about or don't bother to buy a phone outright and choose their own carrier.

nakedfrog

No Lifer
Apr 3, 2001
Poor people can get a free smartphone, too. Can't get mad about that when step one for applying for most jobs is "go to our website and fill out an application". So, yeah, invalid point there.
And it doesn't take much to get people mad. And when you're legit poor, that 0.25 per item means one less item you can buy with five bucks.
I'm not sure the "average American with a $1k smartphone" would even want to risk being seen inside a Dollar Tree.

manly

Lifer
Jan 25, 2000
Psst: the average selling price of smart phones is in the $400 range. And you can go much lower than that or not buy new.
In the U.S. market, the ASP is closer to $500 due to Apple's popularity. According to IDC, the ASP for Apple phone sales is a staggering $950 (and they have close to 45% domestic market share):

ASP two years ago was $471 in North America:

Mai72

Lifer
Sep 12, 2012
I guess I was wrong. It was my ignorance. :confused:

The people around me have expensive Apple smartphones, or Samsung S21 ultras, or those Samsung Z phones. They are like $1500 and up.

nakedfrog

No Lifer
Apr 3, 2001
I guess I was wrong. It was my ignorance. :confused:

The people around me have expensive Apple smartphones, or Samsung S21 ultras, or those Samsung Z phones. They are like $1500 and up.
I make a reasonable amount of money, and I've never financed a phone, and I've never paid more than $250 OOP for one either. But I also don't care if someone titters at me using a phone that's more than 2 generations old... not that I'd be likely to associate with such a person in the first place, nor they me.