DOJ will not defend challenges to ACA preexisting conditions requirements

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Feb 4, 2009
This is the perfect opportunity for some progressive state to pass and implement its own "universal healthcare" model. Surely you don't need the poor flyover red states holding you back from realizing your dream so you might as well get started.

I’m in the second our Republican Congress applies equal taxation & aid based upon state revenues. No living in a taker state and going to a giver state for free healthcare

glenn1

Lifer
Sep 6, 2000
I’m in the second our Republican Congress applies equal taxation & aid based upon state revenues. No living in a taker state and going to a giver state for free healthcare

Why not, we can put them on the bus to your location right beside all the homeless people.

Feb 4, 2009
Why not, we can put them on the bus to your location right beside all the homeless people.

Already can with Mass
Cracks me up when people complain about taxes and services when they live in a State that contributes negative tax revenue
It’s even better when they don’t want to give free shit but expect free shit from States that contribute more than they use

dank69

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
Once again, this shows what a horrible job Democrats have done of marketing ACA. Even Obama and Hilary allowed the entire debate to revolve around the uninsured and never pushed the fact that it helped out every insured American. Even my wife and I that have always had great coverage through large companies received many benefits from the ACA, a lack of pre-existing conditions being one of them.

I know it is hard when you have an entire "news" organization pushing an anti-agenda, but there were multiple times in the debates that Hilary could've hammered that home, but allowed the conversation to only center on the uninsured. By centering the conversation on the uninsured, it is much easier for people to take the FYGM attitude or eat up the welfare line.
I expect that everyone with pre-existing conditions either already knows how important the ACA is to them or is a certifiable deplorable that would chop off their own arm if it would make a liberal cry. Most of the rest of us are too short-sighted to think anything bad will ever happen to us, so "didn't read lol."

Reactions: DarthKyrie

senseamp

Lifer
Feb 5, 2006
Does anyone have estimate on how much Republican problem with the actuarial table will accelerate if their middle aged overweight supporters are forced to wait until Medicare age to get needed care?

Reactions: DarthKyrie
Nov 25, 2013
US should really just declare war on Canada and immediately surrender.

Why? No offense but for the most part we don't want you guys. You can continue to screw up your own country and we'll hope to miss most of the broken pieces flying overhead.

ivwshane

Lifer
May 15, 2000
The perfect weapon would be showing us a working proof of concept instead of an abject failure.

https://www.politico.com/story/2014/12/single-payer-vermont-113711

Is that what you said when it was pointed out that the ACA was based on Romney's health care reform in Massachusetts?

You don't care about proof of concept, all you care about is yourself and I cannot wait until karma catches up to you.

But I love how idiots like you complain about a broken system, a system that pales into comparison to other first world nations in terms of costs, coverage, and results, and then shit on anything else that tries to break the status quo.

Last edited:

brycejones

Lifer
Oct 18, 2005
Is that what you said when it was one out that the ACA was based on Romney's health care reform in Massachusetts?

You don't care about proof of concept, all you care about is yourself and I cannot wait until karma catches up to you.

But I love how idiots like you complain about a broken system, a system that pales into comparison to other first world nations in terms of costs, coverage, and results, and then shit on anything else that tries to break the status quo.

Yeah but FYGM

VRAMdemon

Diamond Member
Aug 16, 2012
It seems to me as if the GOP wants it both ways: they want to use their votes to eradicate the parts they can get away with publicly before their chance of re-election is compromised and then use the courts to undo the rest, but now their trying to sue the courts based on their own legislative actions.

"We fucked up and now the fucked up thing is fucked up; you have to stop us from fucking up more" is the rallying cry I'm hearing

And when poorer Republican voters find themselves unable to acquire insurance, they will blame Obama.

Reactions: ch33zw1z

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
It seems to me as if the GOP wants it both ways: they want to use their votes to eradicate the parts they can get away with publicly before their chance of re-election is compromised and then use the courts to undo the rest, but now their trying to sue the courts based on their own legislative actions.

"We fucked up and now the fucked up thing is fucked up; you have to stop us from fucking up more" is the rallying cry I'm hearing

And when poorer Republican voters find themselves unable to acquire insurance, they will blame Obama.

That's right! Obama shouldn't have made it so that the GOP could tear it down! It's his fault we're fuckin' ourselves!

senseamp

Lifer
Feb 5, 2006
The hilarious part to me is GOP is going after the personal responsibility part of Obamacare while the single payer part stays.

glenn1

Lifer
Sep 6, 2000
Is that what you said when it was pointed out that the ACA was based on Romney's health care reform in Massachusetts?

I’m guessing the karma will catch up to you first and even if it doesn’t I already have insurance. Unlike a whole bunch of people soon after this goes into effect.

Thump553

Lifer
Jun 2, 2000
So glad I reached age 65. Now I can carry around a sign saying keep your stinking government hands off my Medicare.

Seriously though, I had self paid private insurance before the ACA. Healthy couple, no significant bad medical history. The ACA cut our costs at least in half and was better coverage, but still with a huge deductible. Medicare cut our costs to comparable peanuts (roughly $150-200 each per month) and deductibles are now trivial as far as I can tell.

It is an absolutely travesty though how the GOP consistently tries its hardest to make government fail. I'm waiting for them to turn their backs on veterans on the grounds that their healthcare is too expensive. At the present trend that will be their policy within a decade.

I go back to what I've said since the beginning. Cut the deductibility for health insurance for employers and end federal, state, etc. employees from having employer paid insurance. Then instead of a small minority of us knowing how much health insurance costs everyone will know-fast and painfully. Keep the mandate that hospitals have to treat everyone and the government has to reimburse them-so to then extent the ultra-rich pay taxes they will also bear some of the pain. Then the GOP will actually join in the effort to have an affordable health care plan for all.

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
GOP voters apparently thought that yuge woodie their leadership has been sportin' was for somebody else, for the libruhls, the moochers, the losers, the Others. Not them. Couldn't be!

Quite how they think they can escape is amazing.

ivwshane

Lifer
May 15, 2000
I’m guessing the karma will catch up to you first and even if it doesn’t I already have insurance. Unlike a whole bunch of people soon after this goes into effect.

Lol!! She's a comin'!!!

sactoking

Diamond Member
Sep 24, 2007
The party that decries judicial activism is relying on that very thing to overturn a law they didn't have the votes to repeal and which they explicitly went on the record as saying they weren't trying to repeal.

senseamp

Lifer
Feb 5, 2006
No prizes, but guess which states have the highest percentage of people with pre-existing conditions who might be uninsurable under the old rules:
8KI96BJ8

https://www.kff.org/health-reform/i...individual-insurance-market-prior-to-the-aca/

Reactions: ch33zw1z and Aegeon

Jaskalas

Lifer
Jun 23, 2004
New This is stupidly playing into Democrats’ hands for the midterms. This lawsuit has zero chance of succeeding on the merits and will only reinforce the idea that republicans are trying to take people’s health care.

I mean, they obviously are trying to do exactly that... so let's hope this actually grabs people's attention unlike everything else.