Doh! Got a ticket

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

911paramedic

Diamond Member
Jan 7, 2002
Doesn't matter if I can turn it off, they hook up to the diagnostics and it will say there's a problem somewhere. (I did unhook the negative terminal for a few minutes and it reset it, only to have it go back on in a few hours.)

piasabird

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
Go to court and take your receipt and maybe the judge will throw the ticket out. Say something lame like you expected a notice to come in the mail and you did not see it. If you were a woman, I would say cry a little and die your hair blonde.

summit

Platinum Member
Sep 27, 2001
umm google for some smog coupons, it costs me 45 bucks to get smogged last year.

mugs

Lifer
Apr 29, 2003
Originally posted by: 2Xtreme21
Originally posted by: Zorro
Your tag is expired pay the ticket. Ain't no grace here in FL.

Haha here they come...

:laugh:

Here who comes? The people who accept the consequences of their mistakes? :confused:

I got a similar ticket. I got new plates and forgot to put them on for 4 months. Got a ticket, paid the $50 fine, put my plates on. Meh.

Originally posted by: piasabird
Go to court and take your receipt and maybe the judge will throw the ticket out. Say something lame like you expected a notice to come in the mail and you did not see it. If you were a woman, I would say cry a little and die your hair blonde.

My attractive, blonde, female friend just got pulled over for an expired sticker on her plates, and she got out of it. :D She had the sticker in her car though.

DrPizza

Administrator Elite Member Goat Whisperer
Mar 5, 2001
www.slatebrookfarm.com
Originally posted by: BoomerD
Originally posted by: jagec
Don't they have to PULL YOU OVER to give you an expired registration ticket?

Your car has to be registered to DRIVE it, not to PARK it.

Each state is a bit different on that issue. In Kahleeforneeya, if it's parked on a city street with expired registration, it gets ticketed (if they catch you or your neighbor turns you in) if it's on private property, then no ticket, but you still have to pay the late penalties.

Ditto for New York. Quite a few years ago, we had a car that we weren't driving. We left it parked in front of our house until we sold it. We had one of those cordless phones that automatically dialed 911 when the battery got low. Phone called 911 half a dozen times, they came, they ticketed the car. They stopped by later that afternoon to inform me what was up with the phone.

DrPizza

Administrator Elite Member Goat Whisperer
Mar 5, 2001
www.slatebrookfarm.com
Originally posted by: thegimp03
That's chicken shit. Cops should be out busting real criminals, not law abiding citizens who are 6 days late on renewing their license.

law abiding citizens don't drive vehicles that aren't registered. :p

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
Originally posted by: runzwithsizorz
Originally posted by: BoomerD
Originally posted by: jagec
Don't they have to PULL YOU OVER to give you an expired registration ticket?

Your car has to be registered to DRIVE it, not to PARK it.

Each state is a bit different on that issue. In Kahleeforneeya, if it's parked on a city street with expired registration, it gets ticketed (if they catch you or your neighbor turns you in) if it's on private property, then no ticket, but you still have to pay the late penalties.

Depending on how long the tags are overdue, they can, and will tow it. As to being on private property, wrong Boomer, if they see it, or a neighbor snitches, they can, and will come and tow it, (happened to me).

Sort of true...if you're going to park it off the street and not drive it, you're supposed to file "non-op" status on the vehicle instead of just not doing anything once the registration expires.

Tobolo

Diamond Member
Aug 17, 2005
Originally posted by: thegimp03
That's chicken shit. Cops should be out busting real criminals, not law abiding citizens who are 6 days late on renewing their license.

Believe it or not, but that was breaking the law. So, technically he was a criminal.