Dog chews through laptop AC adapter

desteffy

Golden Member
Jul 16, 2004
The dog chewed between the part of the cord between the power "brick" and the computer, and supposedly the computer was acting "funny", but then after the AC adapter was unplugged from the computer the funny business stopped. It also no longer charges the computer properly.

Could such a thing cause permenant damage to a laptop? Supposedly the computer wouldnt cut and paste and some of the keys didnt seem to work right or something, (I'm not sure if this is a definite consequence of the cord, this was just what I was told).

I just was asked if such a thing could cause permamant damage to the laptop itself, I figured it couldnt, what do you guys think? and if so, how likely is it?

fbrdphreak

Lifer
Apr 17, 2004
Is it just the cord that is damaged? As long as the wires aren't damaged it should be fine, electrical tape FTW!

corkyg

Elite Member | Peripherals
Super Moderator
Mar 4, 2000
Sounds like the dog's chewing may have punctured parallel insulated lines so that they get shorted out. After donating the dog to some charitable organization, see if you can put in a new cord.

It shouldn't hurt the laptop because it is apparently not functioning. Too bad it was not connected when the dog chewed on it. :)

desteffy

Golden Member
Jul 16, 2004
Originally posted by: corkyg
Sounds like the dog's chewing may have punctured parallel insulated lines so that they get shorted out. After donating the dog to some charitable organization, see if you can put in a new cord.

It shouldn't hurt the laptop because it is apparently not functioning. Too bad it was not connected when the dog chewed on it. :)

yeah thats the case, so its probably going to be hard to fix with just some tape...

I guess it was connected, but the dog is OK. Probably the current or whatever through that line wasnt enough to hurt him.

corkyg

Elite Member | Peripherals
Super Moderator
Mar 4, 2000
Tape won't fix it. The cord really should be replaced. To do it right, the power module should be opened up inless you have at least 3-4 inches of good cord on the adpater side of the chew. If you have enough unchewed cord to work with, you can cut and splice, removing the chewed section.