Schadenfroh

Elite Member
Mar 8, 2003
Originally posted by: Xylitol
Doesnt world of warcraft suck? cuase these people dont think so

I mean its easy to get sick of cuase I tried it for 1 month
Opinions?

1. It is not cuase, it is cause.
2. I think you should remove the "1337" speak from the poll.
3. Judging by your post, I think you would fit in nicely with the community in WoW.
4. Go play Guild Wars or Counter Strike.

Xylitol

Diamond Member
Aug 28, 2005
I quit WoW
And I want to see if others actually play it still after a while and if they still think its fun
or if theyre doing to sell on E-Bay for a ton
I do play Counter-strike
I hate WoW now
How is that "1337" speakin-Its more to sensor

Sam334

Golden Member
Nov 20, 2004
lol, a game is either the best ever or it sucks? What a scale to judge it by.....

CKent

Diamond Member
Aug 17, 2005
Well... The game itself is good. It isn't what I want in an MMORPG, but then it wasn't meant to be. While I prefer a complex and immersive game with minimal PvP that goes heavy on alternate advancement and tradeskills, WoW is a simple and PvP-oriented game that makes everything easy, and as immersive as any game where the average player thinks saying "4 wut 2 y plz b ur ne1 u" is roleplaying... Which brings me to "on the other hand"... Why play an MMORPG if not for the playerbase? And if the playerbase is so important, do you want one made up primarily of 12 year olds? WoW's is... All that being said, I'm playing it. Not because I like it, but because it's the best thing out there (which is sad). Overall I had to vote that no, it's not a good game, as I don't really enjoy it.

Malak

Lifer
Dec 4, 2004
Originally posted by: RBachman
Well... The game itself is good. It isn't what I want in an MMORPG, but then it wasn't meant to be. While I prefer a complex and immersive game with minimal PvP that goes heavy on alternate advancement and tradeskills, WoW is a simple and PvP-oriented game that makes everything easy, and as immersive as any game where the average player thinks saying "4 wut 2 y plz b ur ne1 u" is roleplaying... Which brings me to "on the other hand"... Why play an MMORPG if not for the playerbase? And if the playerbase is so important, do you want one made up primarily of 12 year olds? WoW's is... All that being said, I'm playing it. Not because I like it, but because it's the best thing out there (which is sad). Overall I had to vote that no, it's not a good game, as I don't really enjoy it.

It is far from the best, VERY FAR. You need to play a lot more MMORPGs before getting an opinion on this, seriously. I could probably list 5 MMO's I'd rather play than WoW.

Schadenfroh

Elite Member
Mar 8, 2003
Originally posted by: Malak

It is far from the best, VERY FAR. You need to play a lot more MMORPGs before getting an opinion on this, seriously. I could probably list 5 MMO's I'd rather play than WoW.

RBachman, if i recall correctly, played Everquest 1 for a long time.

Malak

Lifer
Dec 4, 2004
Originally posted by: Schadenfroh

RBachman, if i recall correctly, played Everquest 1 for nearly 3 years if not longer.

And EQ1 wouldn't be on that list either.

Xylitol

Diamond Member
Aug 28, 2005
So would you guys recommend EQ1 or EQ2 even though its monthly for me to play?
I mean is it worth the money

Or should i play a free game do you think... like guildwars

Schadenfroh

Elite Member
Mar 8, 2003

I prefer Everquest 2 to World of Warcraft, i play World of Warcraft because my friends in real life play it and they managed to talk me into playing it. Its ok, but i prefer Everquest 2. Playing a game with friends can make up for a game that is inferior to another, however.

Malak

Lifer
Dec 4, 2004

EQ2 is freaking beautiful, but I ended up quitting. I found that item drops were pretty rare, which made it completely a level grind. It wasn't so much of a grind as other games though, since there were plenty of quests to work on.

Guild Wars is not an MMO, it's just a normal RPG. However, I'm having a wonderful time with it. I just got it like a week ago, lots of fun. Still not as many item drops as I'd like, but fun nonetheless. It'll hold me over until Hellgate comes out.

BigPoppa

Golden Member
Oct 9, 1999
EQ1 would be tough to hop into without knowing anyone. Its definately possible, but unless you've got some time to put in, I don't think the reward would be very good. Its difficult to experience some of the best content because no one goes there anymore.

EQ2 is easy to jump into. Try out the "Trial of the Isle" if they still have it going on. It'll let you at least see the game world and a few levels worth of gameplay before you decide to buy it. I definately liked EQ2's balance between solo and group play.

WoW is great for a casual player. My biggest complaint is a lack of grouping, but lately thats been picking up (i'm only level 36 so far, admittedly). Being able to log in and do something useful in only an hour or two is definately a nice advantage. Lag is another factor, but patch 1.9 should help fix at least the lag in Ironforge by linking the auction houses by faction (Stormwind-Ironforge-Darnasus for alliance, etc for horde and neutral)

FFXI. If you want hardcore, you've got it. Very limited soloing. Extremely group dependent play.

I've put a lot of time into all four and have enjoyed things about them all. Typically my reason for leaving/going back to any game is my group of friends that i've played with for a long time now.

MajorMullet

Jul 29, 2004
I really want to try EVE, but from everything I've read it requires a massive time commitment to get anywhere.

WoW is a good game - as BigPoppa said, it's great for the casual gamer. Another game that's great for casual players is City of Heroes, although I got tired of that one after a while because of the repetition in the missions.

Malak

Lifer
Dec 4, 2004
Originally posted by: MajorMullet
I really want to try EVE, but from everything I've read it requires a massive time commitment to get anywhere.

When I first picked up EVE, I thought the pictures on the box couldn't possible be real. When I played it and found out it really did look that good, I was very pleased. It even got best graphics of the year from Gamespy!

The gameplay, however, doesn't have much to it really. If you aren't in a big corp or alliance, there's not much to it. There are basically 4 things you can do:

1. Explore the 5000+ solar systems in the game. There are hidden areas that you can't just jump to. However, it will probably take you a billion years to explore all that space. It is easily the largest virtual world ever created.

2. Hunt and kill rats, otherwise known as Pirates. They can drop phat lewt and can often be pretty fun to fight. Space battles aren't like freespace, but they are a lot of fun I think. You won't get rich quick unless you take on the hard to get to rats, but all space is owned by someone, so don't forget to watch out for REAL pirates.

3. Mine. Mine some more. Mine a lot more. Find a friend who bot mines and do the transporting for him. I did that for a while. Got me the biggest friggin transport I could get, got cargo expanders, and hauled my ass off. At the end of the day, this is the easiest way to make money. It's also the most boring aspect of the game.

4. PVP. Join a big corp or alliance, start a war. Big space battles are fun, hell I like downloading videos of them. Of course, you'll want a cruiser at least before you attempt this. I had 3 cruisers back in the day, they aren't too bad to get a hold of. It's battleships that are very hard to get, but they will rock in combat.

The time factor comes in that skills are learned based on time, not anything else. You don't even have to be logged in to learn skills. You can only learn one skill at a time, and some can take weeks, even months to learn. You can probably afford a battleship before you can actually fly one. The really bad part of this is you can only learn one skill at a time for your whole account. You can't learn anything on a seperate character while another is learning something.

Lyfer

Diamond Member
May 28, 2003
WoW sucks, Diablo II seems funner. And yes monthly fees suck arse.

CKent

Diamond Member
Aug 17, 2005

I've played my share of MMOGs. Peoples' tastes vary, as evidenced by the huge popularity of the very game we're discussing despite the fact neither of us particularly cares for it. We're discussing the game's merit here though, not whether or not it appeals to our personal tastes. Please try to be a little more openminded.

And EQ1 was great before the Planes expansion :)

Agnostos Insania

Golden Member
Oct 29, 2005
I haven't played it personally, but I've researched it and talked to people that I've played other MMORPGs with that they don't like it that much. They have the same taste in games as I do and I trust their judgement. Also, my signature.

skace

Lifer
Jan 23, 2001
No, it does not suck. Regardless of whether people here enjoy it or not, the game carries an extremely high level of polish for an mmorpg something other developers could only dream of attaining. I don't play the game anymore because I don't like getting trapped in the mmorpg mentality for too long, but I can deffinitely acknowledge it's merits.

Acanthus

Lifer
Aug 28, 2001
ostif.org
I gave it an honest shot and played it for nearly a year with friends, i quit a month ago.

Its boring, easy, repetitive and pointless.

Im having far more fun in Eve now.

Acanthus

Lifer
Aug 28, 2001
ostif.org
Originally posted by: skace
No, it does not suck. Regardless of whether people here enjoy it or not, the game carries an extremely high level of polish for an mmorpg something other developers could only dream of attaining. I don't play the game anymore because I don't like getting trapped in the mmorpg mentality for too long, but I can deffinitely acknowledge it's merits.

Auction house lag? Crashing servers? 2 pointless battlegrounds no one wants to play? No death penalty? Year 2001 graphics?

Yeah if "merits" is making an easy game to reel in 12 year old warcraft kiddies, then it has many "merits".

The AOL of MMORPGs.

Maliboo

Sep 26, 2005
I can be a fun and frustrating game. On our server the AB queues are over and hour regualary which just sucks. If blizzard would do what they orginally intended and bring out new content consistently it wouldn't be too bad. But all of the new stuff coming out is for the upper level guilds that I can barely sniff. And the little kids are killing me. But otherwise i think its a great game for its time.