Does your university's engineering program require High school Physics? Need your input. Thank you.

j@cko

Diamond Member
Feb 13, 2000
Sry for being posting a smiliar thread which I previously post.
Anyway, I just want to see whether your university/college requries high school physics for their engineering course.
Please also state which university/college it is.

Thank you

p.s. The reason I am posting this thread is that I am currently in a physics class. However, the teacher is new, and she sucks at teaching. She is the ONLY physics teacher at our school, because the good old Mr. Grand (Awesome teacher) just retired last year. I feel that I am not learning anything in that class, so I might as well drop the class rather than having a bad grade.

Capn

Platinum Member
Jun 27, 2000
All qualified Rensselaer applicants, regardless of intended major, will need:
SAT I or ACT scores
Four years of science (including chemistry and physics)
Four years of mathematics (algebra through pre-calculus)

Bignate603

Lifer
Sep 5, 2000
I would take it, but get a Sat II review book and study out of that. Take the Sat II. I did poorly in physics class because I thought he was having to much busy work and didn't do it. The 790 on the sat II does wonders for overlooking that though.

CSoup

Jan 9, 2002
no, not required. Just recommended that you took at least 1 yr of either chem or physics.
They will teach you the stuff in college anyways. You will take at least 3 sems of physics and 1 sem of chem. They compress more than a year of high school stuff into one college semester.

you don't need calc either.
The thing is that most people with have calc, chem, and physics in high school already and it helps them a little when they take the college course.

vegetation

Diamond Member
Feb 21, 2001
Calculus based physics in college is considerably more difficult than high school physics. Typically, an engineering/hard science major would need to take three semesters worth: mechanics, electricity/magnetism, and relativity. In addition, you need to complete vector based calculus to do the math in these classes, so most high school students would not be quite at that level.

RalphWiggum

Feb 20, 2001
I'm pretty sure you need it in the UC system. It's ok if you don't learn anything, I think high school physics is a joke all around the nation.