Does your comcast modem have crazy activity when you're not doing anything?

fs5

Lifer
Jun 10, 2000
Seriously, my 3com cable modem has all this activity ALL the time, even when my computer isn't plugged into it.

I sniffed the packets and there's at least 10 dhcp discover/arp requests a second. This can't be normal can it?

EyeMWing

Banned
Jun 13, 2003
That's Comcast trying to fscking spy on you. Plug it into a Linux router, don't use their software, and you're all good.

isekii

Lifer
Mar 16, 2001
it's like that on my RoadRunner and I have it connected to a Linksys Router.

Just download the adaware thing adn get rid of all the spyware.

I think it's pretty normal to be flashing.

Vic

Elite Member
Jun 12, 2001
Yeppers. Mine's been like that for years, ever since that Code Red virus first hit and it's never stopped (the traffic is all external, btw, not from my network). This is why: (1) I have a NAT router and (2) I will NOT let them switch to pay-for-bit service until they clean their network up.

spidey07

No Lifer
Aug 4, 2000
Originally posted by: Pepsi90919
it's arp requests and the usual worms. nothing to be concerned about, it's network noise.

yep. you're seeing these kinds of packets because the are "broadcasts". Sent to every node on a network.

freebee

Diamond Member
Dec 30, 2000
I noticed that with road runner also...my dsl however, is only busy when I'm using the connection.

fs5

Lifer
Jun 10, 2000
Originally posted by: freebee
I noticed that with road runner also...my dsl however, is only busy when I'm using the connection.

EXACTLY! DSL does not have this problem... okay since it's normal I guess there's another problem somewhere else because when I run about 5 threads (downloads, irc, p2p, etc) the connection gets severed for about 30 seconds and I lose all my connections.

I just thought the linksys was getting overloaded, gotta test it with just the modem hooked directly to a comp. thanks guys.

Amused

Elite Member
Apr 14, 2001
I have Insight and my activity light is nearly constantly on. It didn't used to be that way when I got it two years ago, though.

Curious thing, though, I replaced the old Motorola 3100 with a 5100 and the light is on even more now. :confused:

No worry, though. I have a router and I've never been hacked or had a virus/worm. I've never had spyware either.