Does UPS have concorde cargo planes now?

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
I have a package in Atlanta Georgia with an ETA of Tomorrow. That's only 1,359 miles :awe:

They should do that actually, have planes and just air drop straight to the destination. It would be guided by a drone to land right at your door step. You'd have to return the drone to the local UPS store. :biggrin:

John Connor

Lifer
Nov 30, 2012
If the package is going by air it could very well be on your door step tomorrow or the next day.

1,400 miles is like a 4 hour flight.

SSSnail

Lifer
Nov 29, 2006
Nah, UPS doesn't have Concorde planes, Canada just have faster moose now.

BarkingGhostar

Diamond Member
Nov 20, 2009
I ordered something from Amazon Japan this week. Left Tokyo Japan and landed in Cincinnati, OH sixteen hours later. That's about 6500 miles. Points are between DHL Express pickup (Amazon.jp) and there American sorting facility.

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
If the package is going by air it could very well be on your door step tomorrow or the next day.

1,400 miles is like a 4 hour flight.

That's assuming it's coming straight to me though, at least it would go to a sorting centre in Toronto after going through customs, but in reality it probably has more stops to make.

Package is still in the states though. I think they just did a mistake on the ETA or they are very optimistic. :awe:

But maybe the moose have gotten faster so once it gets to Canada it will get to me faster. I hear they are replacing a lot of the antiquated dog sleds with moose sleds. They can pull more cargo at a faster speed without needing to take as many breaks. :biggrin:

Crono

Lifer
Aug 8, 2001
But maybe the moose have gotten faster so once it gets to Canada it will get to me faster. I hear they are replacing a lot of the antiquated dog sleds with moose sleds. They can pull more cargo at a faster speed without needing to take as many breaks. :biggrin:

Moosen are very embracing of new tech.

Jetpack%20moose.jpg

Mike64

Platinum Member
Apr 22, 2011
I have a package in Atlanta Georgia with an ETA of Tomorrow. That's only 1,359 miles
Around here, UPS delivers residential packages until 8pm; your ETA seems perfectly doable unless it gets caught up in Customs or you live way out in the boonies...

Ruptga

Lifer
Aug 3, 2006
Around here, UPS delivers residential packages until 8pm; your ETA seems perfectly doable unless it gets caught up in Customs or you live way out in the boonies...

Well, he did say he lives in Canada.

BUTCH1

Lifer
Jul 15, 2000
Yea, because the fuel-swilling, narrow-bodied, high maintenance, now extinct jet would make the best freight hauler. Everyone knows this.

who?

Platinum Member
Sep 1, 2012
In the evening it flies to their Worldport air hub in Louisville Kentucky. After the 10pm to 2am sorting period it'll be on a plane to Toronto.

Last edited:

natto fire

Diamond Member
Jan 4, 2000
Yea, because the fuel-swilling, narrow-bodied, high maintenance, now extinct jet would make the best freight hauler. Everyone knows this.

Any time I have played transport tycoon, your faux logic falls apart. I am not sure if we should celebrate that video game logic and real life logic line up, or that Red Squirrel has posted yet another inane thread, as he often does.

Either way, I applaud you for laying down the facts.

3chordcharlie

Diamond Member
Mar 30, 2004
I have a package in Atlanta Georgia with an ETA of Tomorrow. That's only 1,359 miles :awe:

They should do that actually, have planes and just air drop straight to the destination. It would be guided by a drone to land right at your door step. You'd have to return the drone to the local UPS store. :biggrin:

*taps meteor*

I see what you did there!

MongGrel

Lifer
Dec 3, 2013
In terms of speed, it would.

Sure, if you want a $500 dollar fee for delivering a keyboard or something I suppose.

Concordes were impractical to begin with.

Sometimes ETAs are a bit fudgy of course, I have gotten things faster than I expected in the past just from a warehouse being near.

ATL to there does seem a stretch :)

Last edited:

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
Yeah it was most likely an error in the ETA. It's still in Atlanta right now, though it has an odd status, about delaying delivery, so I think they are handing it off or something. I may not see the rest of the progress if that part of the delivery has a different tracking number. Though usually that only happens at the border, so it's kinda odd. Typically Tigerdirect orders come from Canada though, but this was a refirb laptop so I imagine they don't really stock them, they just know where some are and have them shipped from wherever is my guess.

Mike64

Platinum Member
Apr 22, 2011
though it has an odd status, about delaying delivery
Well, there is that little issue of Hurricane Joaquin and related weather systems... Even though it's not quite there yet, I imagine it is already affecting traffic in and out of ATL.

Last edited:

BUTCH1

Lifer
Jul 15, 2000
In terms of speed, it would.

500 MPH is plenty fast for freight and there are plenty of wide-bodied planes with a lot of cycles on them that can be had for cheap for hauling freight. The Concorde was a maintenance nightmare, it needed special tires, extra runway length and drank fuel like a pig.

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
Well, there is that little issue of Hurricane Joaquin and related weather systems... Even though it's not quite there yet, I imagine it is already affecting traffic in and out of ATL.

lol that would do it. :biggrin: Actually, what happens if a fright truck gets hit by a storm and crashes, who pays for the merchandise? Technically as soon as it left the retailer's warehouse, it's sold. Is it one of those things where "it sucks to be you" and you lose it?

Last edited:

MongGrel

Lifer
Dec 3, 2013
500 MPH is plenty fast for freight and there are plenty of wide-bodied planes with a lot of cycles on them that can be had for cheap for hauling freight. The Concorde was a maintenance nightmare, it needed special tires, extra runway length and drank fuel like a pig.

Well, that and it really only flew over oceans, as a restriction. Most places didn't like it flying over and breaking glass with the +1 Mach thing and the resulting bang.

Mike64

Platinum Member
Apr 22, 2011
Technically as soon as it left the retailer's warehouse, it's sold.
Actually, technically it depends on the contract of sale and/or the specific provisions of the UCC* the sale falls under...

* Or whatever your Great White North-ian equivalent is...

who pays for the merchandise?
Mostly some insurance company, I imagine...:cool:

Last edited:

cavemanmoron

Lifer
Mar 13, 2001
Did you get you stuff dude???
When did it arrive, bummer that there is no Concorde to delver to the Great White North. :(

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
I may have been screwed by this actually. It's showing as delivered... in Georgia. They originally screwed up this order by sending it to my old address (my parents house) so I had to cancel... I really should have just left it alone. Ended up being more hassle.

I think I just ended up buying some random guy in the states a new laptop.

Last edited: