Does this verify that my Tracfone was successfully unlocked?

GunsMadeAmericaFree

Golden Member
Jan 23, 2007
Our Tracfones were a few days from running out of our year of service, so I went through the trouble of asking for them to be unlocked. It APPEARED to successfully finish the
process on both phones. (our 2020 Moto G Power phones, which were probably only powered on 2 dozen times during the year)

Not being one to trust that something has happened without testing it, I ordered a cheap sim card from Ebay to try it in the phones.

I stuck it in the old 'unlocked' Moto G Power phone, and was able to see that the network was T-Mobile. (sim card is Ultra Mobile, which I guess must be an MVNO of T-Mobile?) Anyway, full bars for the data connection,
though I didn't actually activate anything.

I then took the same Ultra Mobile sim card and put it in my current new Moto G Pure, which is Tracfone locked. I got the messages "sim card locked", and "network locked".

Is this good enough verification that the unlocking process on our year old phones went through? Thanks!

Muadib

Lifer
May 30, 2000
You proved that your phones were unlocked when your latest sim worked in the 2020 Motos. Congrats!

GunsMadeAmericaFree

Golden Member
Jan 23, 2007
You proved that your phones were unlocked when your latest sim worked in the 2020 Motos. Congrats!
How's the new year going?

Ok, I was hoping that was the case. Of course, it didn't actually WORK work - I never actually activated the sim card. However, it did show the network as T-mobile, and there was no message about either the sim card or network being locked, like there was in our current Tracfones when I put it in them.

Muadib

Lifer
May 30, 2000
How's the new year going?

Ok, I was hoping that was the case. Of course, it didn't actually WORK work - I never actually activated the sim card. However, it did show the network as T-mobile, and there was no message about either the sim card or network being locked, like there was in our current Tracfones when I put it in them.
You can borrow a friend's working sim, if you need more proof.