Does This Sound Like A Scam?? (EBay)

HiTek21

Diamond Member
Jul 4, 2002
My friend had some money to burn so he went looking for a Sega Saturn console on Ebay. Anyways he comes across this amazingly hot deal on an Satun console Brand new w/ a brand new Mission Stick for $75 (Using Buy It Now). Now my friend doesn't have an Ebay account so he begs me to go ahead and end the auction with Buy It Now. I look at his feedback and its pretty decent 89 Positive and 1 Negative, the negative being from an impatient buyer who got his item a little late. So I go ahead and purchase it for my friend.

Now at the time I thought nothing of it, this guy needs money badly and is willing to give up a hot item for a low price. I bought it on a Saturday afternoon and usually the seller contacts you within 24 hours of the auctions end. So I wait for him to Email me and after 3 days of nothing I decide to EMail him and see whats going on. Later that night after I Emailed him either his wife or girlfriend responds back telling me that he was sick and to send her the payment. This is where I start to suspect some foul play.

Now this person says they will only accept money orders or cashiers checks and to send the payment to her at a PO Box. Now this person doesn't own a business and isn't a power seller and I told my friend and he just told me "STFU don't scare me". So I sent the payment on a Tuesday and this person lives in California nearby so it should only take a day or two to get there. Since then I haven't heard squat from the seller. I thought i'd give this person a few days before I email them because maybe the mail took longer to get there because of the holiday on Monday.

What do you think?

bmacd

Lifer
Jan 15, 2001
I think if you were concerned, you should have enlisted in an escrow service. Another couple days and this guy (or girl) becomes a dead beat bidder. Good luck...i hope it works in your favor.

-=bmacd=-

HiTek21

Diamond Member
Jul 4, 2002
Originally posted by: bmacd
I think if you were concerned, you should have enlisted in an escrow service. Another couple days and this guy (or girl) becomes a dead beat bidder. Good luck...i hope it works in your favor.

-=bmacd=-

Well seeing as how I warned my friend and he told me to "STFU" it doesn't really matter all that much to me. Hopefully its not a scam and it comes in the mail soon.

MrBond

Diamond Member
Feb 5, 2000
Did you use a postal order? Always use postal money orders, I believe if they scam you, it then becomes mail fraud.

Wallydraigle

Banned
Nov 27, 2000
I've learned to trust my Spidey sense when it goes off. I have a feeling this will go badly for your friend.