Does this site look like a scam?

mayonnaise

Apr 2, 2006
Was looking for a HTC Touch HD (retailing for around $800 currently) on Toronto's Craigslist, and found the advertisement for one at $500. Sent an email and got a reply within 5 minutes (at 3am).

MOST LIKELY A SCAM >>>>>http://limitedstoresinc.com

That's what I got as a reply and confirmation that the phone is new and ships from FL. Site was registered recently with NJ information. WHOIS

I got a instant email reply when I asked about the price difference on the site and ad... "Price on Craigslist is discounted due to our Xmas Bonus. "

I guess I just want someone to reassure me that this is indeed a scam?

mods: feel free to kill the thread if its found to be BS :p

rhino56

Platinum Member
Oct 6, 2004
looks pretty shady to me thats for sure, id be afriad to send them 10.00 let alone what you are.

Perknose

Forum Director & Omnipotent Overlord
Forum Director
Oct 9, 1999
Site could be perfectly fine. Hell, I often buy high ticket electronics from Spanish language sites advertised on Craig's List. But, just to be sure, why don't you paypal me the $500 and I'll make the purchase for you. That way, they won't be able to scam the money directly from you!

theflyingpig

Banned
Mar 9, 2008
Originally posted by: mayonnaise's brain
"I'm a little suspicious of this site -- but they have such good deals! Damn man, I'm pretty sure this site is not legit, but the deal is so good. Shit...Well, it could be legit. No, no way! If it's to good to be true it probably is. Right? Damn, the deals so good though. Maybe I should post on anandtech and see what they think there. Yeah, I think I'll do that"

mayonnaise

Apr 2, 2006
Originally posted by: theflyingpig
Originally posted by: mayonnaise's brain
"I'm a little suspicious of this site -- but they have such good deals! Damn man, I'm pretty sure this site is not legit, but the deal is so good. Shit...Well, it could be legit. No, no way! If it's to good to be true it probably is. Right? Damn, the deals so good though. Maybe I should post on anandtech and see what they think there. Yeah, I think I'll do that"

Pretty much.... it was 3 am, brain was doing its wacky thing.

I know better than to take a chance and give money to places like these... besides, what kind of a business does near instant email replies at 3am? Thanks for second opinion guys :p

Injury

Lifer
Jul 19, 2004
Originally posted by: mayonnaise
Was looking for a HTC Touch HD (retailing for around $800 currently) on Toronto's Craigslist, and found the advertisement for one at $500. Sent an email and got a reply within 5 minutes (at 3am).

MOST LIKELY A SCAM >>>>>http://limitedstoresinc.com

That's what I got as a reply and confirmation that the phone is new and ships from FL. Site was registered recently with NJ information. WHOIS

I got a instant email reply when I asked about the price difference on the site and ad... "Price on Craigslist is discounted due to our Xmas Bonus. "

I guess I just want someone to reassure me that this is indeed a scam?

mods: feel free to kill the thread if its found to be BS :p

Dissecting the scam:

Does this site look like a scam? If you have to ask, then it probably is.

Found via craigslist add... Then it's definitely a scam.

Was looking for a HTC Touch HD (retailing for around $800 currently) on Toronto's Craigslist, and found the advertisement for one at $500. Totally a scam tactic.

That's what I got as a reply and confirmation that the phone is new and ships from FL. Toronto's CL gets you a phone shipping from Florida? SCAM.

Site was registered recently with NJ information Again, someone from NJ is posting on the Toronto CL? Scam.

"Price on Craigslist is discounted due to our Xmas Bonus. " Riiiiggghhht. You can't sell the thing at $200 off of retail so you gotta hock them on CL for an extra $100 off? SCAM.

Any of these things by themselves would have thrown up a red flag to me. It may be the deal of the year but I'd rather not risk it. No way would I give my credit card number to these guys if any of these items were on here alone... I wouldn't even consider it with that many red flags.

All that considered, I would never go for a deal on craigslist where I didn't meet the person and see the product before purchasing.