Does this not make my brother an asshole?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Mill

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Originally posted by: atom
Eh, so there was nobody you could have bummed some money off of?

Sure, I could borrow money from my grandparents or parents, but then I have to listen to them bitch. I'd rather not go than listen to people bitch at me over 50 dollars. My grandparents are by far the worst about it. I remember borrowing 5 dollars from them one time and I've still never recovered from how big of a deal it was to them. Before you say they live on a fixed income they don't. They are about as well off as you can get, but incredibly stingy. They started giving us 20 dollars for our birthday instead of a 5 dollar gift. I typically spend 100 on each of them, but they just don't get it. I guess it doesn't matter overall because it is the thought that counts. It is a good reason why I hate christmas. I get nice gifts for people that they will like, and then I end up getting crappy stuff. It isn't even about monetary stuff, it is about the thought that goes into it. I've ordered stuff special just to get something they like and I get a pocketknife from walmart.

Bigblades

Mar 17, 2004
I have a brother, and I gotta say, brothers certainly come in handy for borrowing stuff. I'd sort of take it as a benefit of having a brother that your "allowed" to do crap like this to them. After all, they'll prolly screw you in a similar way sooner or later. Brothers own.

Mill

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Originally posted by: GoodDad
I did about 2 years ago but not anymore

oh well...I was going to offer to loan you the cash until you were squared away

Hopefully you get the card in the mail before you have to leave. Sometime usps can surprise you with <2 day turnaround.

Sorry for being a dick, guess you skoorbed me pretty good there. Thanks for the offer, but I just don't like borrowing money from people.

weezergirl

Diamond Member
May 24, 2000
maybe you can ask one of your credit cards comps to make your limit higher? It's pretty easy and usually takes just a phone call. Just a temp solution...and yeah, your brother was really inconsiderate.

(I'm assuming from what I read that you couldn't use any of your other 6 credit cards because they are maxed out and you are in the process of paying for them and they haven't cleared yet.)

atom

Diamond Member
Oct 18, 1999
Originally posted by: Mill
Originally posted by: atom
Eh, so there was nobody you could have bummed some money off of?

Sure, I could borrow money from my grandparents or parents, but then I have to listen to them bitch. I'd rather not go than listen to people bitch at me over 50 dollars. My grandparents are by far the worst about it. I remember borrowing 5 dollars from them one time and I've still never recovered from how big of a deal it was to them. Before you say they live on a fixed income they don't. They are about as well off as you can get, but incredibly stingy. They started giving us 20 dollars for our birthday instead of a 5 dollar gift. I typically spend 100 on each of them, but they just don't get it. I guess it doesn't matter overall because it is the thought that counts. It is a good reason why I hate christmas. I get nice gifts for people that they will like, and then I end up getting crappy stuff. It isn't even about monetary stuff, it is about the thought that goes into it. I've ordered stuff special just to get something they like and I get a pocketknife from walmart.

Wow, nice bonus rant about gifts....:)

I think the very least your bro could do is spot you the money since he's the one that put you in a bind.

Mill

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Originally posted by: weezergirl
maybe you can ask one of your credit cards comps to make your limit higher? It's pretty easy and usually takes just a phone call. Just a temp solution...and yeah, your brother was really inconsiderate.

(I'm assuming from what I read that you couldn't use any of your other 6 credit cards because they are maxed out and you are in the process of paying for them and they haven't cleared yet.)

No, only 3 of them are Visa/MC/Amex. The rest are retail. I COULD use them once my payments clear, but that will probably be the same time that the card actually arrives. I don't have high limits anyway. I haven't asked for limit increase so they are all pretty much at the orginal line of credit. Amex only has a limit of 500, MBNA has a limit of 1600. Southtrust has the orginal small limit as well.

dxkj

Lifer
Feb 17, 2001
Ok read another part, I guess I would be pissed too, but you really left yourself no outs.

GoingUp

Lifer
Jul 31, 2002
Originally posted by: GoodDad
its always a good plan to charge things if you cant afford them
rolleye.gif

You are seriously a complete fvcking moron. I can afford it just fine, but I do have bills to pay, and I won't take a trip if that affects my ability to pay my bills. So I'm not supposed to have a mortgage or car loan because I couldn't pay cash? I use my CCs because of rewards and things of that matter. Once I budgeted out all my money I'm not going to spend out of my budget. My gas card is budgeted for next month and not this month because it was already paid. I've got abut 6 retail or Credit Cards and I only carry a balance on my best buy due to 0% on a washing machine I bought. How about you blow me?

Winnar! Game, Set, Match, Mill :)

Oct 19, 2000
I was depending on the gas card to pay for gas on my trip, and was going to use my reserve money for food, beer, lodging, etc.
:( Looks like it's time to give up the beer.

MrDudeMan

Lifer
Jan 15, 2001
the more i read mill's posts, the more i seem to like him, even though i still think he is an asshole. although, i am an asshole too, so technically we should get along, but we dont. mill, ill stop being an ass to you if you stop being an ass to me...deal?

btw, my sisters take sh!t from me all the time, and since i am the little brother, no one even apologizes or says thanks or whatever the situation calls for. they just take, feel like i owe it to them, and thats the end of it. its always super when i wake up and my truck is gone, and i even hide my keys under my pillow! but, i am a really heavy sleeper, so it doesnt matter where i hide them. btw, i have 4 sisters, so go cry to someone else that your brother tanked your plans once ;) that happens to me weekly.

good luck!

BooGiMaN

Diamond Member
Jul 5, 2001
do you have to pick him up from the airport?
if you do keep telling him you will and convenently forget...
if you dont...just wait until he asks you for a favor again, then remember how pissed off you were this time

then again a nothing says love like a surprise ass whooping and it would would probably make you feel a whole lot better!!

Mill

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Originally posted by: lirion
Originally posted by: Lager
Originally posted by: lirion
I wish I had a brother :(

Like Millennium?

Like anybody. I never had a brother, and I just wish I would have.

I've always wanted a hot sister that would have hot friends that would want to have hot sex with me while they were having hot slumber parties.

MrDudeMan

Lifer
Jan 15, 2001
Originally posted by: BooGiMaN
do you have to pick him up from the airport?
if you do keep telling him you will and convenently forget...
if you dont...just wait until he asks you for a favor again, then remember how pissed off you were this time

then again a nothing says love like a surprise ass whooping and it would would probably make you feel a whole lot better!!

HAHA so true...man that was what i needed right now. i am about to go tell my boss (brother-in-law) that i am quitting...wooo!