Does thermal paste expire

EvilHomer

Jul 11, 2002
I have a 2 year old tube of Antec Silver thermal paste and was just going to use it to install My Zalman CPU fan on My AMD Phenom II 550...its been a while since I did this ..Should I just use the stock fan for now ..the Zalman is far superior though ...???

lopri

Elite Member
Jul 27, 2002
I have been using a syringe of AS Ceramique forever (5 years?) with no perceived harm. Purists might differ in opinion, though.

Tsavo

Platinum Member
Sep 29, 2009
Check the manufacturer.

The stuff I use has an expiry date after it's been opened.

bobsmith1492

Diamond Member
Feb 21, 2004
I've used the same Radio Shack thermal paste I bought when I was... maybe 12? on every PC build since. So, 12 years later, it's cooling my i5 just fine, thanks.

That was good stuff though, I'm not sure if I'd trust the newer stuff.

Zenoth

Diamond Member
Jan 29, 2005
Well, yes it does expire like anything in life does, but it takes a very long time especially if it is kept in a safe and dry enough environment, I'd guess. My own AS5 is about 6 or 7 years-old I believe, and I've used it only last year for a friend's CPU cooling, he never reported any issues with his systems' temperatures at all, so it still works fine.

serialb

Diamond Member
Mar 20, 2000
My AS5 turned a little yellowish after sitting in the drawer for a few years. Other than that, its viscosity seems okay still.

Gillbot

Lifer
Jan 11, 2001
I have been using a syringe of AS Ceramique forever (5 years?) with no perceived harm. Purists might differ in opinion, though.

Same here, though mine might be a few years older. :eek: I got a GIANT tube on sale and since you only need a BB sized amount, it has lasted FAR longer than I expected.

bigboxes

Lifer
Apr 6, 2002
I have only bought two tubes in my life. One Artic Silver 2 and my current Artic Silver 5. I alsao have two tubes that came with a Thermalright hsf. The stuff lasts a long time!

Tsavo

Platinum Member
Sep 29, 2009
I have only bought two tubes in my life. One Artic Silver 2 and my current Artic Silver 5. I alsao have two tubes that came with a Thermalright hsf. The stuff lasts a long time!

I put extra on crackers. No point in letting a good product go to waste!

nyker96

Diamond Member
Apr 19, 2005
you need to remix ac5, i got a tube that has the oil separated out, I just remix it and seem to work fine. as far as I know they don't seem to expire like paint, just remix.

lothar

Diamond Member
Jan 5, 2000
Don't they recommend Artic Silver to be kept in the fridge or somewhere cold(but not freezing)?
I seem to recall reading somewhere that putting it in the fridge makes it take longer to separate.

jvroig

Platinum Member
Nov 4, 2009
Don't they recommend Artic Silver to be kept in the fridge or somewhere cold(but not freezing)? I seem to recall reading somewhere that putting it in the fridge makes it take longer to separate.

I'd like to follow up on this question as well. What's the recommended way of storing thermal paste? I just leave mine in the cabinet along with my other PC junk. Is it actually optimal to store it in a fridge?

Tsavo

Platinum Member
Sep 29, 2009
I'd like to follow up on this question as well. What's the recommended way of storing thermal paste? I just leave mine in the cabinet along with my other PC junk. Is it actually optimal to store it in a fridge?

Follow the manufacture's guidelines for the exact product you are using.

jvroig

Platinum Member
Nov 4, 2009
I would, but I can't find any for the CoolerMaster thermal grease I have. I'm not sure why it's not in their site anymore, maybe because it's an old product. It shows up fine on a google search, but only shopping links and reviews, not exactly manufacturer's guidelines, so I was hoping there's a general rule here.