Does the possibility of an assassination attempt worry you?...

Locut0s

Lifer
Nov 28, 2001
Or do you feel such talk is mostly tin foil hat conspiracy talk? I don't usually like bringing up such topics and I'm NOT a conspiracy theorist in any way shape or form!! However several things have me worried about the possibility of an attempt on Obama's life.

(1) The palpable sense of hope that Obama is engendering. The future looks pretty bleak right now on multiple fronts and Obama is one of the few bright lights in the dark.

(2) The desperation of the right wing. They can see this election slipping away from them day by day and we are seeing it drive them to desperation. Even their senior political members are willing to use horrendous smear tactics (linking Obama with terrorism!).

(3) The really obvious one, Obama is black. As we all know there are plenty of right wing KKK type nut jobs out there willing to do more than just talk.

Taken together especially as we head into the final few weeks of the campaign it's a worrisome mixture. It's often the case that those beacons of hope during times of crisis become the targets of the desperate and the crazy.

Is this crazy talk or is anyone else worried about the possibility too?

noto12ious

Golden Member
Aug 24, 2001
if you think obama will rock the boat in terms of policy, then see first link in sig.

Locut0s

Lifer
Nov 28, 2001
Originally posted by: noto12ious
if you think obama will rock the boat in terms of policy, then see first link in sig.

Umm not sure what you mean but your link is the exact kind of conspiracy talk I do NOT want to be associated with.

Insomniator

Diamond Member
Oct 23, 2002
I'm pretty sure if Obama (or Hilary if she had gotten it) gets elected, he will be offed, or it will be attempted.

I mean, come on, the first black president? There will be plenty of nuts after him.

I can't stand Obama but I obviously wouldn't want him killed. So yes it does worry me.

On second thought, how many people are in line before a repub would have to take office? (I kid I kid)

RichardE

Banned
Dec 31, 2005
Originally posted by: Insomniator
I'm pretty sure if Obama (or Hilary if she had gotten it) gets elected, he will be offed, or it will be attempted.

I mean, come on, the first black president? There will be plenty of nuts after him.

I can't stand Obama but I obviously wouldn't want him killed. So yes it does worry me.

On second thought, how many people are in line before a repub would have to take office? (I kid I kid)

I think the majority of presidents have had an attempt on there life, including GWB

zerocool84

Lifer
Nov 11, 2004
Originally posted by: RichardE
Originally posted by: Insomniator

I think the majority of presidents have had an attempt on there life, including GWB

Too bad no one succeeded. I guess I'll see MIB at my front door in a couple minutes.

Sinsear

Diamond Member
Jan 13, 2007
Originally posted by: Locut0s

Umm not sure what you mean but your link is the exact kind of conspiracy talk I do NOT want to be associated with.

:laugh:

noto12ious

Golden Member
Aug 24, 2001

too bad. gather some courage and watch :)

StageLeft

No Lifer
Sep 29, 2000
No worry. If he goes Biden would run for pres and if he selected hillary clinton, for example, somebody who's already known and vetted, I think he'd take it by a landslide. I believe that an assination would backfire and we'd see major rallying to the dems. Also, such sympathy votes would of course wane with time, but we're so close to the goal now that they'd be just fine. I believe people would want to distance themselves from a party that has a supporter who would kill a presidential candidate.

In any case, let's put it in perspective: Bush is terrible and nobody has hit him yet. Obama will be fine. It's much harder these days to do things like this.

cKGunslinger

Lifer
Nov 29, 1999

:thumbsup:

Cuda1447

Lifer
Jul 26, 2002
I agree to a certain extent with Skoorb, it is very difficult to kill a President these days. At the same time though, I still think there are those crazy oldschool racist psycho's out there that would attempt this. I think it would be AWFUL for this country if something like this happened, not specifically because Obama would be gone, but because it would bring back all kinds of racism in this country. The riots would be out of control, imo. Something I def. don't want to see, but the thought of it happening has certainly crossed my mind.

GroundedSailor

Platinum Member
Feb 18, 2001
Originally posted by: Cuda1447
I agree to a certain extent with Skoorb, it is very difficult to kill a President these days. At the same time though, I still think there are those crazy oldschool racist psycho's out there that would attempt this. I think it would be AWFUL for this country if something like this happened, not specifically because Obama would be gone, but because it would bring back all kinds of racism in this country. The riots would be out of control, imo. Something I def. don't want to see, but the thought of it happening has certainly crossed my mind.

It will be a sad day for the country if it happens. And a sad reflection on American society.

While such an event seems unlikely, given the security protection provided to presidents these days, I too worry about some deranged person who is crazy or motivated enough to attempt it. And lets be honest, if someone really wanted to he/she could probably succeed.

The country will be set back 50 years.

I just hope it never happens.

midway

Oct 22, 2004
Having seen what Palin and McCain have been doing at their rallies lately, yes I'm worried. These two are cottoning up the uneducated racists and now the rhetoric of "Obama is a terrorist" seems to have taken hold among our less toothed and less educated brethren.

Genx87

Lifer
Apr 8, 2002
Originally posted by: midway
Having seen what Palin and McCain have been doing at their rallies lately, yes I'm worried. These two are cottoning up the uneducated racists and now the rhetoric of "Obama is a terrorist" seems to have taken hold among our less toothed and less educated brethren.

Here is a secret. If Obama is assainated it wont be from a toothless inbred idiot. No matter how much people on the left fantisize about that scenario.

SP33Demon

Lifer
Jun 22, 2001
I think it's possible, but unlikely. Biden would make a decent president anyway.

GroundedSailor

Platinum Member
Feb 18, 2001
Originally posted by: Genx87

Here is a secret. If Obama is assainated it wont be from a toothless inbred idiot. No matter how much people on the left fantisize about that scenario.

And you know that how?

StageLeft

No Lifer
Sep 29, 2000
Originally posted by: GroundedSailor

And you know that how?
They're too stupid. It would take a hardcore 'neck, but not all necks are stupid. I guess that's what he's getting at.

Genx87

Lifer
Apr 8, 2002
Originally posted by: Skoorb

And you know that how?
They're too stupid. It would take a hardcore 'neck, but not all necks are stupid. I guess that's what he's getting at.

Exactly, they would be too stupid and unskilled and let everybody in their town know what they plan to do. They wouldnt get within 10 miles of Obama.

her209

No Lifer
Oct 11, 2000
Originally posted by: Skoorb
And you know that how?
So that rules out any NRA members.

ZING!

heyheybooboo

Diamond Member
Jun 29, 2007
As hard as the Secret Service works to protect the Prez they can't stop just plain dumb luck. Whether it be someone getting close in or some douchebag with a .50 cal from 2,000 yards.

And despite all the protections in DC I'm still not convinced some loon couldn't penetrate defenses with a small aircraft flying at tree-top level. You load up that plane with a couple hundred pounds of explosives and the sum beech could get lucky. Even if you hit it with a missile you've created a fireball that's gonna go boom somewhere.

Ozoned

Diamond Member
Mar 22, 2004
Or do you feel such talk is mostly tin foil hat conspiracy talk? I don't usually like bringing up such topics and I'm NOT a conspiracy theorist in any way shape or form!! However several things have me worried about the possibility of an attempt on Obama's life.

(1) The palpable sense of hope that Obama is engendering. The future looks pretty bleak right now on multiple fronts and Obama is one of the few bright lights in the dark.

(2) The desperation of the right wing. They can see this election slipping away from them day by day and we are seeing it drive them to desperation. Even their senior political members are willing to use horrendous smear tactics (linking Obama with terrorism!).

(3) The really obvious one, Obama is black. As we all know there are plenty of right wing KKK type nut jobs out there willing to do more than just talk.

Taken together especially as we head into the final few weeks of the campaign it's a worrisome mixture. It's often the case that those beacons of hope during times of crisis become the targets of the desperate and the crazy.

Is this crazy talk or is anyone else worried about the possibility too?

What a nice little race baiting thread you have created. It is simply too cute. :)

You got to understand that the power struggle isn't between the parties right now, its within the democratic party. The right wing KKK type nut jobs have already consolidated their power in other ways than political. Its the left wing KKK type nut-jobs that you should be worried about. If I was Obama, I would definately be worried about Hilary.

And no, you are not crazy, just brain-washed.

DAPUNISHER

Super Moderator CPU Forum Mod and Elite Member
Super Moderator
Aug 22, 2001
Originally posted by: TheSlamma
Worry is a waste of time, the outcome cannot be controlled by worry.
:beer:

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
Originally posted by: TheSlamma
Worry is a waste of time, the outcome cannot be controlled by worry.

I think the distinction is semantic.

Does the possibility of an assassination attempt concern you?...

Fixed.

Answer: Yes!