Does the Antec True Power series make your case HOT?

davidos

Nov 29, 1999
I am looking to purchase a True Power 430W psu to solve my cold boot problems (up from a 300W Antec 303xp) but I have been reading lately how people have been having heat issues with the psu and internal case temps going up.... If this is true, what is the comparable Enermax model to the True 430?

txgixer

Jun 12, 2002
i have the PS and have not experienced any problems with heat

check my sig for the other fans installed on my setup

NeoMadHatter

Platinum Member
Nov 29, 2000
johntwang.com
i don't have that power supply but i do have the one you are replacing. i'm considering the pc power & cooling silencer 400W pw. but i don't quite have that money the Antec looks nice too. i hear it's quiet.

maybe the problem with your computer though is that last component you have there: "1 annoyed wife" :p

RalfHutter

Diamond Member
Dec 29, 2000
I switched from an Enermax 465 to a TruePower 480 the day it came out. My case temps stayed exactly the same.

SladeZero

Jul 10, 2001
Hey there,

Yes it has 2 fans in it. 1 exhaust and one bottom intake. For the most part this PS does run really hot.
From my own experience it creates alot of heat. The fans on it though do not run super fast for cooling
HENCE the "LOW NOISE" technology and quiet running. Unfortunately, people like me experience some heat probs.
Not major but enough to add some concern. This PS generates considerable heat and having it right above your
CPU you can only guess what that will do to your CPU temps. Yes it may not affect your case temps but, what
if it feeds hot air to your CPU ?? This is my experience with it. I will say I can't complain at all about the performance
of the actual power aspect of it :D and is why I am keeping it. I am adding a side intake fan near my CPU as a simple fix.
I will say not everyone will be affected by this........I was not one of those people. :(
If you are really worried about it being the LIFE and DEATH of your comp.....I would not frett before trying it out. Just make
sure all of your temps are in the REG and you should be fine :)

SladeZero

Demonicon

Oct 30, 2001
If you do not have good airflow then it will raise the temps in your system SIGNIFICANTLY! I know from personal experience. I got the True Power 430W.

If you have good airflow it shouldn't change much.

FlowerMan

Golden Member
Aug 19, 2001
Heh, with such a small volume and 2 fans (however slow they may be running) the Antec True Power should not be a problem. If you are noticing temp increases after installing a True Power PS, your case/airflow must be REALLY crappy :D

sumrtym

Apr 3, 2002
Maybe the Antec CSR can answer. Is this why the TruePower is not being used in the Performance II series of cases replacing the Performance Plus????

Crankydog

Jul 21, 2002
High heat when in quiet mode is what I've gathered from my own research and reading these forums.

Maybe, just to be safe, you could go with a 450 Enermax *Whisper*.

Not quite as quiet as a True Power, but the airflow isn't compromised as much and both are in the same price range.

Isn't silence the reason why people want the True Power line of Antec PSUs?

Personnaly, I'm buying an Enermax.

greenhorne

Apr 29, 2002
Is Antec phasing out the Performance Plus line. I wanted the Plus 880 w/ 430 watt psu but New Egg is currently out of stock and they removed it from their site. I emailed them and they said they had no info on the availbility of this product. Looks like I may have to go elsewhere, but I really like New Egg and I am buying the rest of my components from them. I plan on buying in the next week or two and really wanted this case.

sumrtym

Apr 3, 2002
Greenhorne:

If you want one of these, MOVE FAST. A search on Pricewatch will confirm that the numbers of these cases available is rapidly decreasing. They are indeed being phased out, and from what I've been able to determine, although the next set uses the same case (front USB/Firewire), it may or may not have a stock side panel fan (optional), and will NOT have a TruePower PS, but the older models.

I'm a little clueless as to the reason for this move. According to the Antec CSR I talked to, it was supposed to be EXACTLY the same and only a name/branding change to Performance II, but looking at specs shows that isn't true. That's why I'm questioning if there was an issue with the power supply (although they're offering these seperately, just not on the cases). I can't believe that it's because of the extra cost of the TruePower (noone buying) as the 1080B certainly seems to be flying off the collective internet shelf. (Also, I don't buy that because there's too many people willing to spend $150-$200 just for an ALUMINUM case...I'm sure people didn't have much of a problem with $150 or so for a great, huge case with a big PS).

Hopefully, the Antec CSR will show up and clear up these issues.

r0ck

Oct 12, 2001
nope..i havent had any heating problems with mine. My case temperature is ~2C hotter than my room. Make your have nice airflow.

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
If your system temps go up significantly using any of the low-airflow low-noise psu's, it's because your old over-fanned psu was doing much of the case cooling.

Many OEM systems were designed that way, it saved money on fans. Most available cases are just OEM leftovers, with five year old design parameters. They're not designed to use that kind of psu, or to provide Enthusiasts with acceptable temps. Well, not without resorting to really loud powerful fans to overcome the inherent airflow limitations of the case. Or Mods, of course.

Any of the Performance Series Antecs (or their clones) will give really good system temps with low noise psu's and a single or dual (depending on the case model) low noise rear exhaust fan. It's what they're designed to do.

you2

Diamond Member
Apr 2, 2002
Hum .... Yea I was going to get an antex 630 ($70) at newegg (as part of a complete system). It hasn't been in stock for ages - any suggestions for an alternative ?

The system I want to build MSI kt3 ultra (amd 1700 or 1800) single hard dirve, single dvd-crom, and a ti4200 -- so the system shouldn't need to much cooling.... esp since I don't overclock -- hum think one of those $45 dollar cases from enlight would be fine ?

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
you2-

The late model Enlight 7237's aren't bad, provided you move the fan to the rear and don't block all those little air intake slots in the left side panel. Putting the fan in the front is pointless, IMHO. Snipping out the stock stamped grilles and using a wire grille in the rear helps, too.

The new model 7247 looks to be an improvement, especially with the grille mod. Haven't used one yet, though.

Either would probably be OK with a super low noise psu, you're on your own there....

Try sx635 or sx630 on Pricegrabber.com- Your credit card co. will protect you if you end up with a dodgy vendor..... Check 'em out on resellerratings.com in any event.

Crankydog

Jul 21, 2002
Davidos wrote:

I am looking to purchase a True Power 430W psu to solve my cold boot problems (up from a 300W Antec 303xp) but I have been reading lately how people have been having heat issues with the psu and internal case temps going up.... If this is true, what is the comparable Enermax model to the True 430?

The closest Enermax equivalent, from my research, is the Enermax 450W P4 #EG465P *Whisper*

putzman

Aug 6, 2000
I have the truepower 480 running for a couple weeks now... I have 6 L1a's providing intake and exhaust, and my case temps never pass 33-36 under load. The powersupply's noise is indistinguishable from the general fan hum (which is pretty quiet). The loudest thing in my case right now is my pioneer 106s dvd drive. I was slighlty surprised when I first started this box up, because the powersupply has blue led's shining through the fan in the back and in the bottom. While definately 'cool-looking', the lights are kinda annoying when I am trying to sleep.

m2kewl

Diamond Member
Oct 7, 2001
I just got the Truepower 480 on a p4 w/3 hdds and have not experienced any heat issues.