does soda get flat from being repeatedly refrigerated?

ng12345

Jan 23, 2005
My roommate and I got into an argument about the dynamics of keeping soda (coke/sprite) carbonated

We just bought a "fridge pak" of soda for a party tonight, so I placed the whole pak in the fridge.

His claim:

If you put a can of soda in the fridge, and then let it get to room temperature, and then cool it again - it will lose its flavor/carbonation. So instead he wants to leave the fridge pak outside at room temperature and only cool a couple cans.

I can't find anythign to prove this claim through google, and I can't find something to definitively disprove the claim.

The only thing I've seen is that cans stored at higher temperatures will lose carbonation faster, but this would actually further my idea of leaving them in the fridge for tonight, and if we need room in teh fridge, moving em out afterwards.

HIs claim sounds pretty ridiculous to me, but i was wondering if there is a technical answer disproving him

w0ss

Sep 4, 2003
If the Can is unopened it will make no difference whether room or fridge. If the can is opened it will last longer(although not that long) in the fridge since the soda can hold more dissolved co2 at a colder tempature. There is some nice info on the CO2 in soda Here

Born2bwire

Diamond Member
Oct 28, 2005
Just tell him that if he wants his soda to retain its carbonation to put a few Mentos in the bottles and close them back up.

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
If's a matter of decompression. At cooler temperature, the content of the can will shrink more than the can, thus reducing internal pressure. The pressure is what keeps the carbonation in place, so it is possible that you lose some carbonation due to temperature change. I don't have the exact math to work out by how much, but it can't be a lot.

Born2bwire

Diamond Member
Oct 28, 2005
Originally posted by: sdifox
If's a matter of decompression. At cooler temperature, the content of the can will shrink more than the can, thus reducing internal pressure. The pressure is what keeps the carbonation in place, so it is possible that you lose some carbonation due to temperature change. I don't have the exact math to work out by how much, but it can't be a lot.

But at the same time, the solubility of CO_2 in the liquid increases, which complicates the math even more. Still, both of the roommates wish to ultimately cool the beverage. If you REALLY want to prove it out, just get a mass and weigh the cans of pop. Weigh both of them when warm and then subject one to the fridge for a long period of time and the other to the fridge just prior to opening. Then open both cans and let them sit for a short time to release any of the CO_2 that escaped the liquid while the cans were still closed. And then weigh them again, compare to the original masses, and determine if one can lost a noticeably larger amount of C0_2. The previously linked website shows that there is a measurable amount of CO_2 gas dissolved in a can of pop.

Still, my bet would be that it doesn't matter. I would assume that the carbon dioxide gas cannot leak through the aluminum can at an appreciable rate. Since you would generally cool both cans to the same temperature before consumption, we are talking about systems that are in equilibrium. So if any gas leaves (or enters) the liquid when cooling the pop, then it would occur during the time it takes for the pop to reach a uniform cold temperature. Whether it sits at that temperature for days or a few hours really doesn't seem to make a difference in my mind since I am assuming closed equilibrium systems.

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
Originally posted by: Born2bwire

But at the same time, the solubility of CO_2 in the liquid increases, which complicates the math even more. Still, both of the roommates wish to ultimately cool the beverage. If you REALLY want to prove it out, just get a mass and weigh the cans of pop. Weigh both of them when warm and then subject one to the fridge for a long period of time and the other to the fridge just prior to opening. Then open both cans and let them sit for a short time to release any of the CO_2 that escaped the liquid while the cans were still closed. And then weigh them again, compare to the original masses, and determine if one can lost a noticeably larger amount of C0_2. The previously linked website shows that there is a measurable amount of CO_2 gas dissolved in a can of pop.

Still, my bet would be that it doesn't matter. I would assume that the carbon dioxide gas cannot leak through the aluminum can at an appreciable rate. Since you would generally cool both cans to the same temperature before consumption, we are talking about systems that are in equilibrium. So if any gas leaves (or enters) the liquid when cooling the pop, then it would occur during the time it takes for the pop to reach a uniform cold temperature. Whether it sits at that temperature for days or a few hours really doesn't seem to make a difference in my mind since I am assuming closed equilibrium systems.

We are talking about repeated cooling and 'thawing' which could create cummulative effects.

Born2bwire

Diamond Member
Oct 28, 2005
We are talking about repeated cooling and 'thawing' which could create cummulative effects.

Still, as far as I know, we can assume that the CO_2 gas will not permeate through the aluminum at an appreciable rate. If this is true, and barring any induced chemical changes, then no repeated cooling and warming is going to change the amount of CO_2 dissolved in the liquid since we are talking about a relatively sealed system.

imported_Seer

Jan 4, 2006
CO_2 will, however, seep through the plastic containers. Generally, repeated temperature changes are not good for anything, but I don't think this would have any measurable effect whatsoever with only one cool/thaw/cool, and not a very large change at that.

bonkers325

Lifer
Mar 9, 2000
plastic and aluminum do not leak gases in significant amounts. as long as the seal on the can/bottle remains intact, the soda should be nice and bubbly

however over the course of a few years, it will lose carbonation

CycloWizard

Lifer
Sep 10, 2001
The pressure doesn't keep the carbonation in place. It's a byproduct of the canning process in which a burst of air is used to force the liquid to a given shape such that the lid can be attached to the filled can.

In addition, the vapor pressure of any species is independent of the pressure of its surroundings. Thus, pressurizing the can has no effect on CO2 loss.

The bottom line: cooling and warming cycles will have no effect on carbonation levels in soda as long as you give a sufficiently long time in the cold in the last cooling cycle. This is because the carbon dioxide can't readily escape the containers used (which is why these containers are used in the first place), so it will return to equilibrium (the initial carbonation state) given sufficient time. Alcoholic beverages are a different story because there are chemical reactions involved, which can lead to beers getting 'skunked' if they're cooled then warmed even once. Since the process in soda is physical only (absorption/desorption of CO2), there is no reason the carbonation levels would be affected by temperature cycling.

Pez D Spencer

Banned
Nov 22, 2005
One time when I was a kid me and a friend of mine went in the woods and drank a bunch of beers we snagged from his older brothers supply. As we were walking back we went through a construction site where they were building some new houses.

Anyway, we saw a can of Busch sticking up out of this dirt pile like it had been buried. My friend picked it up and to our delight it was full! I don't know how long that bad boy had been cooking out there in that July sun but we cracked it open and went to chuggin. Now dont get me wrong, Busch tastes terrible anyway but this stuff was ROTTEN. I held mine down but my buddy went to pukin like no tomorrow.

Another thing I would advise against is drinking beer that has been sitting out open for a day or more. Thats not too good either.

Luckily I quit drinking about 4 years ago.

This has nothing to do with the thread topic but it made me think of this anyway.

DrPizza

Administrator Elite Member Goat Whisperer
Mar 5, 2001
www.slatebrookfarm.com
No effect.
Pick a Friday night when you're bored. Alternate between sticking a can in the freezer (or submerge it in ice water to cool it quickly) and placing it on a hotplate or somewhere warm. Have fun. Don't let it freeze completely or heat up too much, or you'll have a mess :)

Also, I believe the pressure is important for equilibrium (how much CO2 is in the soda). Once exposed to the pressure outside the can, the liquid/CO2 mixture is no longer in equilibrium, hence, it goes flat after a while.

ng12345

Jan 23, 2005
Thanks for all the quick replies, just what i was looking for, and just as i thought

Smilin

Diamond Member
Mar 4, 2002
Originally posted by: bonkers325
plastic and aluminum do not leak gases in significant amounts. as long as the seal on the can/bottle remains intact, the soda should be nice and bubbly

however over the course of a few years, it will lose carbonation

Not true.

Plastic leaks CO2 badly.

Cans have a shelf life of 1year (due to flavor, not CO2 loss). 2 liter, 20oz and other plastic bottles have a shelf life of 90 days (due to CO2 loss). Sodas with artificial sweetners have a 90 day shelf life in all cases (sweetner degrades).

Temperature will have an impact on how quickly the soda loses CO2 when the container is open but will have little impact on a closed container.

Ex- Coke employee :)

heedoyiu

Jan 13, 2005
maybe go extreme and freeze it and let it melt you should see something

although the amount of pressure due the the cold may due something as well

Gibsons

Lifer
Aug 14, 2001
Originally posted by: CycloWizard
The pressure doesn't keep the carbonation in place. It's a byproduct of the canning process in which a burst of air is used to force the liquid to a given shape such that the lid can be attached to the filled can.

In addition, the vapor pressure of any species is independent of the pressure of its surroundings. Thus, pressurizing the can has no effect on CO2 loss.

The bottom line: cooling and warming cycles will have no effect on carbonation levels in soda as long as you give a sufficiently long time in the cold in the last cooling cycle. This is because the carbon dioxide can't readily escape the containers used (which is why these containers are used in the first place), so it will return to equilibrium (the initial carbonation state) given sufficient time. Alcoholic beverages are a different story because there are chemical reactions involved, which can lead to beers getting 'skunked' if they're cooled then warmed even once. Since the process in soda is physical only (absorption/desorption of CO2), there is no reason the carbonation levels would be affected by temperature cycling.

What's the physical difference between a beer and a soft drink which causes them to react differently to changes in temperature?

Born2bwire

Diamond Member
Oct 28, 2005
Originally posted by: Gibsons
What's the physical difference between a beer and a soft drink which causes them to react differently to changes in temperature?

My guess is that beer can support a large variety of biological processes and life as compared to a soda. Kinda makes you wonder doesn't it...

CycloWizard

Lifer
Sep 10, 2001
There are no real physical differences, just chemical (maybe splitting hairs, but that's how I would distinguish between the phenomena). I didn't really know the answer, so I looked it up and apparently no one really knew the answer until...
UNC chemists figure out what causes 'skunky beer'

Cliffs notes: the technical 'skunking' isn't what I thought it was. It's related to photodegradation of the beer (stuff breaks down due to exposure to light). I know from experience that temperature cycling in beer causes similar effects, but I can only speculate as to the cause. I would guess that cooling a beer then reheating it activates some reaction that affects the flavor of the beer. Since this usually is worse in cheap beer (see: Milwaukee's Best Light - the breakfast of champions), I'll further speculate that there is some trace concentration of yeast that was not removed prior to packaging. The yeast are likely inactivated by the packaging process, but might be reactivated by a temperature shock. They would eat all the sugar left over in the beer and spit out more alcohol. This would be pretty simple to test if someone had the right equipment, but I can't seem to find anything specific online about it.

Tiamat

Lifer
Nov 25, 2003
Originally posted by: Born2bwire
Just tell him that if he wants his soda to retain its carbonation to put a few Mentos in the bottles and close them back up.

I couldnt get the cap on fast enough... :(

Gibsons

Lifer
Aug 14, 2001
Originally posted by: CycloWizard
There are no real physical differences, just chemical (maybe splitting hairs, but that's how I would distinguish between the phenomena). I didn't really know the answer, so I looked it up and apparently no one really knew the answer until...
UNC chemists figure out what causes 'skunky beer'

Cliffs notes: the technical 'skunking' isn't what I thought it was. It's related to photodegradation of the beer (stuff breaks down due to exposure to light). I know from experience that temperature cycling in beer causes similar effects, but I can only speculate as to the cause. I would guess that cooling a beer then reheating it activates some reaction that affects the flavor of the beer. Since this usually is worse in cheap beer (see: Milwaukee's Best Light - the breakfast of champions), I'll further speculate that there is some trace concentration of yeast that was not removed prior to packaging. The yeast are likely inactivated by the packaging process, but might be reactivated by a temperature shock. They would eat all the sugar left over in the beer and spit out more alcohol. This would be pretty simple to test if someone had the right equipment, but I can't seem to find anything specific online about it.

There's no live yeast in any beer that I've tested. It was a while ago, but I tried enough that I was pretty sure. Or at least I can say that the concentration of yeast has to be below say, 1 cfu/ml.

Although I would like to try some of those unfiltered wheat beers where you can see the yeast in the bottle. I bet none of the yeast in there are alive either, but who knows.

In any case, I suspect the taste difference is due to heat breakdown of certain components of the beer, and I'll further speculate that the taste difference is proportional to the total time spent at elevated temps (and how high the temperature gets) rather than number of hot/cold cycles.

wseyller

May 16, 2004
I don't refridgerate soda because during the process of being drank and it staying in the cold it will lose carbonation faster than it you did not refridgerate it. The amount of carbonation you loose depends on how fast you drink the entire contents. Me personally I don't drink a 2 liter of soda quick enough so if I refridgerate it it will be flat before I finish it. If I leave it out and just use ice to chill it, it never seems to go flat before I finish it.

CycloWizard

Lifer
Sep 10, 2001
Originally posted by: wseyller
I don't refridgerate soda because during the process of being drank and it staying in the cold it will lose carbonation faster than it you did not refridgerate it. The amount of carbonation you loose depends on how fast you drink the entire contents. Me personally I don't drink a 2 liter of soda quick enough so if I refridgerate it it will be flat before I finish it. If I leave it out and just use ice to chill it, it never seems to go flat before I finish it.
But colder liquids will retain carbonation better. It's somewhat counterintuitive, since warm liquids dissolve more solids, but cold liquids dissolve gases better. As someone who has drank his own body weight in soda thousands of times over, I can definitively state that a cold soda will hold its carbonation longer than a warm soda.

MrDudeMan

Lifer
Jan 15, 2001
Originally posted by: wseyller

you apparently dont understand that pressure has nothing to do with it. cyclowizard knows what he is talking about for sure, and even though i dont remember a ton from chemistry, i know enough to understand what he is talking about and also to know he is right. plus, smilin worked for coke and i would think he knows a lot more than the average joe about this. you are just being paranoid.

DrPizza

Administrator Elite Member Goat Whisperer
Mar 5, 2001
www.slatebrookfarm.com
Bigsmooth, I was the one that pointed out that pressure does have something to do with it... and I still think it does.
From Wiki: Water will absorb its own volume of carbon dioxide, and more than this under pressure.

From observation: take a clear bottle of soda, so you can see inside.
Open the cap. Notice bubbles coming from the soda? It's because it's no longer in equilibrium. It's rapidly losing carbon dioxide because the pressure is lower.

Also, I've never seen vapor pressure refered to for a dissolved gas.

from: http://www.elmhurst.edu/~chm/vchembook/174temppres.html
If the pressure is increased, the gas molecules are "forced" into the solution since this will best relieve the pressure that has been applied. The number of gas molecules is decreased. The number of gas molecules dissolved in solution has increased as shown in the graphic on the left. {see the link} Carbonated beverages provide the best example of this phenomena. All carbonated beverages are bottled under pressure to increase the carbon dioxide dissolved in solution. When the bottle is opened, the pressure above the solution decreases. As a result, the solution effervesces and some of the carbon dioxide bubbles off.

In case you're not convinced that pressure has an impact on the solubility of gases, then here's another example: Why do deep sea divers get "the bends" if they surface too quickly? Dissolved nitrogen in their blood becomes undissolved...

edit: vapor pressure... defined at Wiki to save me time: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vapor_pressure

CycloWizard

Lifer
Sep 10, 2001
Originally posted by: DrPizza
Bigsmooth, I was the one that pointed out that pressure does have something to do with it... and I still think it does.
From Wiki: Water will absorb its own volume of carbon dioxide, and more than this under pressure.

From observation: take a clear bottle of soda, so you can see inside.
Open the cap. Notice bubbles coming from the soda? It's because it's no longer in equilibrium. It's rapidly losing carbon dioxide because the pressure is lower.

Also, I've never seen vapor pressure refered to for a dissolved gas.
I agree that pressurization is very important. However, I think you might be looking at the problem in a different light than I am. I mentioned vapor pressure because that's a relatively simple concept that the layman can understand, while the gibberish I'll type out below is not. :p Basically, I used 'vapor pressure' as a dummy variable to replace the complexities of the reaction equilibrium that one needs to consider when looking at liquid absorption phenomena.

Since the can is a closed system (when one neglects transport of CO2 through the metal, which is a good assumption over small time periods), the net amount of CO2 in the can must not change with temperature. Thus, the only thing that changes with respect to carbonation is the amount of CO2 in the liquid phase relative to the amount in the gaseous phase.

In reality, liquid absorption of a gas is a chemical process. In the case of CO2 absorption, carbonic acid (HCO2) is formed, and the reaction is CO2(g)+H2O(l) <=>HCO2(l) (unbalanced because I'm really that lazy :D). This is a reversible reaction in which the equilibrium is drastically affected by the pressure, as you stated. The kinetics of the reaction will depend on the partial pressure of CO2 in the gaseous state and the concentration of HCO2 in the liquid state, as well as some rate constant that is independent of pressure but exponentially dependent on temperature. So, as you say, the pressure will definitely impact the level of carbonation, as high pressure will force the reaction to favor the formation of HCO2.

However, in the case of a closed container, the pressure is a result of the temperature. The pressure within the can will decrease very, very slightly as temperature decreases to a point, then it will begin to increase very rapidly as the water freezes and the liquid/solid complex expands. This is why there is an optimal temperature at which you should drink your soda. I figured this out accidentally when I was a little kid, experimenting with how long I should leave my Dr. Pepper in the fridge before drinking it (yes, I've always been a huge dork). When the liquid starts to freeze, the moles of liquid present decrease such that it can no longer have the same concentration of HCO2. This in turn creates an increase in gas pressure and CO2 concentration, with a corresponding decrease in carbonation levels.

What does all this mean?

1. Temperature cycling should have almost zero effect on the carbonation of the soda, This is true because the only effect one needs to consider here is mass transfer of CO2 through the can. While the temperature will effect the diffusivity of CO2 in the steel or aluminum, this effect will be very, very small - far too small to be important except over months. Storing the soda at high temperatures will also always result in a faster loss of CO2 and decrease in carbonation.

2. The temperature at which your soda is opened will have a very large impact on the carbonation. Low temperature will increase the amount of carbonation to a point, as well as decreasing the rate at which the carbonation is lost (since the HCO2 --> CO2 reaction is slower at low temperatures).

/more than anyone should ever have thought about carbonation