does reporting a bad business to the BBB actually do anything?? cuz i got screwed

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

batmang

Diamond Member
Jul 16, 2003
Originally posted by: MikeyIs4Dcats
they basically ignored my complaint

same here, i spent $560 on a header for my car from a company named essentialspeed in canada... i ended up getting a full refund after i exploited the company's bad business on a car forum they sponsored. :)

bbb didnt do anything.

mrchan

Diamond Member
May 18, 2000
I filed a complaint through the BBB with a local Napa Auto parts store once. They sent the local store a letter, the local manager replied with BS, I sent a reply but never heard from them again.

I kept calling Napa Auto Parts Corporate but they told me they couldn't do anything because it was an owner operated store, not a franchise store. Eventually, another local Napa Auto Parts owner did everything he could to make things right.

shopbruin

Diamond Member
Jul 12, 2000
no. i worked for a company that was getting about 10-15 notifications that a complaint was filed with the BBB. he just responded to all of them and he was updated to "satisfactory standing" or whatever in their database.

nakedfrog

No Lifer
Apr 3, 2001
They didn't do crap for me. I had a Smart & Friendly CD Burner that stopped burning CDs (still read them though) and it was under warranty, so I sent it to be repaired (third party company). Shortly afterwards, Smart & Friendly went out of business. I got screwed. Some fscking bank that bought them out and "liquidated their assets" which somehow included MY drive.

Phoenix86

Lifer
May 21, 2003
Originally posted by: chinkgai
Originally posted by: bsobel
Chinkgai, did you call the BBB before going to that shop? If not, you answered your own question....

the shop is fine...they were the ones dealin with the bastard company this whole time

i guess i'll resort to bbb, the state attorney thing, and whatever else you guys may suggest =)

The BBB will help *if* the business cares about their BBB reputation, they may not. If I were running a business I wouldn't want a bad report on my BBB listing, but that's me. So their effectivness is limited by that.

You need to take the business you paid (maybe the shop, maybe the parts dealer, whoever you hand you $$ to) to small claims court.

Stuxnet

Diamond Member
Jun 16, 2005
The Better Business Bureau is as much of a joke as the companies that get reported to it. The BBB is in bed with many companies, and to become a "member" of the BBB, all you really need is some loose change.

Furthermore, once a company gets a few complaints that they're unable/unwilling to resolve (and hence, they then have a tarnished record), they have no real motivation to be concerned with future complaints.

Lastly, most people do not check with the BBB BEFORE using a company... they only investigate a company's history AFTER they've been screwed, thus completely negating the whole point in the first place.

The BBB really just serves as a mechanism for you, the screwed consumer, to prove to a court that you dilligently tried to solve the problem by all means available prior to suing.

Mucho

Oct 20, 2001
BBB is really a scam they only give testimonials and refferals to company that registered (pay) them they ignore others.