Does Obama write his own speeches?

ThePresence

Elite Member
Nov 19, 2001
Particularly his acceptance speech?
If not, his speechwriter is a frigging genius.
Of course it's all about the delivery, but the content was great and really well done.

techs

Lifer
Sep 26, 2000
I doubt it. Speechwriting is a complicated process on the national stage. Literally each phrase goes thru a process. No President has the time anymore to do it, though they do direct the direction and add or subtract things as they see fit.

techs

Lifer
Sep 26, 2000
Originally posted by: GenHoth
Originally posted by: techs
though they do direct the direction

:laugh:

:thumbsup:

Actually it does make sense, though I admit its an awkward use of language.
I'm guessing Obama won't be calling me to write his speeches.

QuantumPion

Diamond Member
Jun 27, 2005
I thought Obama's speeches were written by David Axelrod.

Reagan was one of the few presidents to write his own speeches.

ThePresence

Elite Member
Nov 19, 2001
Originally posted by: QuantumPion

IIRC Peggy Noonan wrote Regean's speeches...

BeauJangles

Lifer
Aug 26, 2001
Wasn't' there an article posted here about how Obama certainly doesn't write his speeches, but that he's much more involved in the process than most Presidential candidates are?

miketheidiot

Lifer
Sep 3, 2004
Originally posted by: ThePresence
Originally posted by: QuantumPion

IIRC Peggy Noonan wrote Regean's speeches...

this

bill and reagan both wrote some of their own speeches, butt not rearly all of them, presidents just don't have the time anymore.

nageov3t

Lifer
Feb 18, 2004
speeches? I thought he's just been reading the script from the final seasons of The West Wing for the past 9 months.

I always wondered what the spin-off would look like if they continued the show with Santos as the lead :thumbsup:

GoPackGo

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 2003
Today's politics are for the young.

I was listening to local talk radio and they were saying that the Republicans need to dump the old guys and move to the younger generation.

nageov3t

Lifer
Feb 18, 2004
Originally posted by: GoPackGo

I was listening to local talk radio and they were saying that the Republicans need to dump the old guys and move to the younger generation.

bad news.

the younger generation is Palin. /wrists

Deliximus

Aug 11, 2001
Obama has ideas and jots them down and his speechwriters will smooth them out and add blue sparkles to them.

Thump553

Lifer
Jun 2, 2000
They all have speechwriters. I saw an interview with an Obama speechwriter and one of the things he said is that Obama tends to write the lion's share of his major speeches. For example, Obama's speech on race relations (which I personally feel is the most important speech by anyone in at least twenty years) was essentially written entirely by Obama.

Another interesting thing was a panel of speech experts were lauding Obama's closing argument stump speech as an almost perfect model. It hits all the main points, is stirring but yet is arranged in a modular type fashion to allow seemless integration of new material as it arises (Cheney endorsement, for example).

GTKeeper

Golden Member
Apr 14, 2005
Originally posted by: ThePresence
Particularly his acceptance speech?
If not, his speechwriter is a frigging genius.
Of course it's all about the delivery, but the content was great and really well done.

I don't know about that one. He DID write by himself his now famous speech on race.

Arcex

Mar 23, 2005
Originally posted by: loki8481
Originally posted by: GoPackGo

bad news.

the younger generation is Palin. /wrists

Heh, you made me lol...

Yes, he's far more into the process than most (according to reports anyway) and while he may not have the same skill as Favreau he is very literal and well-spoken. To get a better idea read some of his old speeches from when he was starting out, those he certainly would have written.