Does NT 4.0 automatically detect dual processors?

bubba

Golden Member
Oct 10, 1999

Does NT 4.0 automatically detect dual processors? Or do I have to tweak something? Or install service packs?

NT 4.0 Enterprise Edition
Dell PowerEdge XE5133-2 dual P133

bubba

Golden Member
Oct 10, 1999

Mine doesn't, it just says:

Windows NT Server Enterprise Edition

No mention of processor number anywhere...

ddiccico

Jan 10, 2001
mine's not the server it's the workstation, maybe that's why. when you boot from the cd, if i remember correctly, it says the number of procs and ram at the top of the blue screen. you can do this without going through the install.

GambiT

Golden Member
Oct 13, 1999
On each boot up at the blue screen it says how many processors you have and memory size and service pack level... Does that sound familiar?

bubba

Golden Member
Oct 10, 1999

Yeah, but on install (I am installing now) it says '1 processor, multiprocessor kernel' even though I have duals in this machine and the bios says "second processor detected" at boot.

Will this change once I install?

slurp

Jul 23, 2000
Its been awhile since I installed 4.0, but I had to start out with 1 CPU, install, add Service pack 3, and then add the second CPU. There is probably an easier way to do it, but I didn't find it. At the time, I thought it was a result of a motherboard flaw.

bubba

Golden Member
Oct 10, 1999

after I finished installing it detected both processors.

Thanks all!

Shadow07

Golden Member
Oct 3, 2000
When you install NT with multiple CPU's, it will find all of your CPU's installed. But, if you have one CPU, install Windows NT 4, and then you want to install another CPU, there is a hack on how to do this. It is in my documentation, and if you ever need to know, I can find it and email it to you.