Question Does my Asus Z-87 Pro MoBo need its SATA Drivers?

Caveman

Platinum Member
Nov 18, 1999
Asus Z-87 Pro MoBo, 4770K, 1080Ti, 16GB RAM, 860 EVO SSD

I just put another SSD (860 EVO) in my Win 7 machine with Win 10 installed for a dual boot machine. The only driver I installed under the Win 10 OS was the latest Nvidia graphics driver. I installed none of the MoBo drivers. Everything seems to work just fine. What's going on here? Am I missing out on a bunch of SATA performance, etc but not installing those drivers (and another others that come with the MoBo?)

Thanks for your advice.

UsandThem

Elite Member
May 4, 2000
Asus Z-87 Pro MoBo, 4770K, 1080Ti, 16GB RAM, 860 EVO SSD

I just put another SSD (860 EVO) in my Win 7 machine with Win 10 installed for a dual boot machine. The only driver I installed under the Win 10 OS was the latest Nvidia graphics driver. I installed none of the MoBo drivers. Everything seems to work just fine. What's going on here? Am I missing out on a bunch of SATA performance, etc but not installing those drivers (and another others that come with the MoBo?)

Thanks for your advice.
The default Windows driver for SATA drives is the fastest choice. Also, Windows 10 will automatically install the best drivers for the Z87 chipset. You can look and see if any newer drivers available for things like your audio and network adapter, but that should be about it.

In fact, several years ago I couldn't figure out why all of my 850 EVO drives were performing so low, and it turned out to be the Intel SATA driver. I uninstalled it, and I was able to get the drive's full performance.

Last edited: