Does Mac save window size of programs now?

omega3

Feb 19, 2015
Considering buying a mac and was wondering if macs now remember the window size and position of a program (for example TexEdit) if you re-open it, or does it always go back to a default window size and position?

To make sure if you have a mac: just open TextEdit, resize the window and change position, close it and re-open.. is the windows size and position retained?

Thanks.

lefenzy

Nov 30, 2004
I can't figure out how Finder window sizes are determined. Often when I open a new one, it defaults to the standard (small) size.

On the other hand, the operating system does do a good job of remembering size and position with a dual-monitor setup. When I plug my macbook into my secondary monitor, windows that belong to the second screen automatically go there and also go to a different size (my second monitor is wider). When I unplug the monitor, the windows on the second monitor all go to workspace 1.

Commodus

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 2004
If you don't close an app's windows, the OS should remember them when you quit.

Heck, my favourite part of OS X (macOS) is that it can remember your open apps when you restart. If you have an SSD or Fusion Drive, you're back to where you were within seconds.

Tyranicus

Aug 28, 2007
I can't figure out how Finder window sizes are determined. Often when I open a new one, it defaults to the standard (small) size.

On the other hand, the operating system does do a good job of remembering size and position with a dual-monitor setup. When I plug my macbook into my secondary monitor, windows that belong to the second screen automatically go there and also go to a different size (my second monitor is wider). When I unplug the monitor, the windows on the second monitor all go to workspace 1.

It's saved as a separate parameter for every folder.

omega3

Feb 19, 2015
If you don't close an app's windows, the OS should remember them when you quit.

Heck, my favourite part of OS X (macOS) is that it can remember your open apps when you restart. If you have an SSD or Fusion Drive, you're back to where you were within seconds.
So if you close the app, it will forget window sizing?

Als, what's the diff between app close and quit?

Tyranicus

Aug 28, 2007
So if you close the app, it will forget window sizing?

Als, what's the diff between app close and quit?

It should remember the location and size of the window, whether you close the window or quit the application.

In macOS, clicking the red button in the upper left corner of a window (or using cmd-w on the keyboard) to close it does not typically quit the application. The application itself is still running. You can quit the active application by clicking the application-specific menu in the menubar (next to the apple) and selecting quit, by hitting cmd-w on the keyboard, or by right-clicking (or ctrl-clicking, or clicking with two fingers on the trackpad) the icon on the dock and selecting quit. The default behavior (this can changed in System Preferences) for most applications is, if you quit and application while there are currently windows open, those same windows will open when you next launch the application.