Does lower resolution = higher FPS ?

CianO97

Dec 30, 2015
I am buying a GPU which is a Sapphire R9 280 Dual X 3GB. I looked up and noted the benchmarks I see on youtube but most benchmarks are from a 1920 x 1080p monitor. But I currently have a 1360 x 760 monitor. So does this mean I will have higher FPS than I see in the benchmark videos?

Gryz

Golden Member
Aug 28, 2010
Yes. There isn't a linear relation. But there is definitely an impact.

1920 x 1080 = 2 million pixels.
1360 x 760 = 1 million pixels.

That means the GPU has to compute the picture for only half the pixels. So you would hope that you would get twice the framerates compared to 1080p. But that's not the case. Some parts of the computation of the next frame are not per pixel. And some parts will be done on the CPU, in stead of the GPU. And there it won't scale to 2x as well.

But I suspect you will get 50% to 66% higher framerates than with 1080p. Good news for you.

Also, even if you are CPU-bound, and thus your GPU isn't use for 100%, you can probably enable more graphical features in your games, without that having a large impact on your fps. E.g. even if you card runs a particular game at only 50-60 fps, you can probably enable stuff like better shadows, SSAO, more foliage, further viewdistance, more NPCs in view, better anti-aliasing, etc. And your fps might stay around 50-60 fps in that case.

Example: I've been looking for a new monitor for over a year. I might buy a new 2560x1080 monitor (the Acer Predator Z35). Many people find that resolution too low. They want 3440x1440, 3840x2160, or at a minimum 2560x1440. That's all fine and dandy. But with those large resolutions, even a gtx980ti is gonna run into problems, unless you do not enable all eye-candy. I rather have a 1080p monitor, and enable all the graphical features. Your case is very similar. Maybe not the higest resolution, but that fact has upsides of its own.

JeffMD

Platinum Member
Feb 15, 2002
Rendering frames is a balancing act between a couple of factors, the number of pixels being one of them. If what is holding your system back is the number of pixels it can handle then yes, it would. However if something else is holding it back, then no it won't.

2is

Diamond Member
Apr 8, 2012
Rendering frames is a balancing act between a couple of factors, the number of pixels being one of them. If what is holding your system back is the number of pixels it can handle then yes, it would. However if something else is holding it back, then no it won't.

I may be misunderstanding what you're trying to say, but reducing your resolution frees up GPU resources, which are used for any number of things from rendering the number of pixels, to the quality, to effects, shadows, etc etc. So reducing the number of pixels being rendered will increase performance in pretty much any GPU bound scenario.

amenx

Diamond Member
Dec 17, 2004
A 280x is a waste for a 1360 x 760 monitor. I would prioritize a new monitor first.

tential

Diamond Member
May 13, 2008
Might I recommend a new monitor? Something simple along these lines...

http://www.amazon.com/Acer-G226HQL-...&qid=1451682346&sr=1-1&keywords=1080p+monitor

Honestly, I think it's trash to buy a monitor without freesync. For budget monitors, you might as well buy the cheapest freesync monitor you can.

At WORST, you don't use the freesync. Big woop, you lose out on $25-50.
At best, you do, and get far better gaming experience than you would if you simply just ignored the feature.

If you go Nvidia, and are 100% for that, then well, I still think you should splurge and get Gsync too. I just think you should realize you'll have to pay more if you go Nvidia.

But I think Freesync/Gsync are a 100% must if you buy a new monitor. It's just ridiculous to ignore such features.

Jerenny

Sep 28, 2014
I wouldn't say a 280X is a waste for a 1366x768 monitor. I got GTX 970 SLI while I was still with a 60Hz 1080p monitor. Some might call it overkill, but it leaves a lot of room for upgrade for when you decide you want a new monitor. He'd regret getting something for 720p now and then realizing he'd have to upgrade his GPU when he wants a new monitor.

2is

Diamond Member
Apr 8, 2012
I wouldn't say a 280X is a waste for a 1366x768 monitor. I got GTX 970 SLI while I was still with a 60Hz 1080p monitor. Some might call it overkill, but it leaves a lot of room for upgrade for when you decide you want a new monitor. He'd regret getting something for 720p now and then realizing he'd have to upgrade his GPU when he wants a new monitor.

If you bought 970 SLI at are close to release date while running 1080p and you just now upgraded to 1440p, you spent $160 more then if you bought the cards when you actually needed them. That's assuming you're buying new. Unless you know a monitor upgrade is imminent, you should typically wait to buy hardware when you actually need it.

xorbe

Sep 7, 2011
It would be the upper bound of your FPS increase (gpu bound), where the lower bound is possibly 0 (cpu bound).

tential

Diamond Member
May 13, 2008
I absolutely do plan on upgrading my monitor in February to a 1080p one. I bought the 280 because I want it to last me at least 3 years. Thank you all for all the info and this is the monitor I plan on getting:

http://www.dabs.ie/products/acer-ka...-um-wx0ee-001-BK5C.html?q=hdmi monitor&src=16

Again I'll reiterate, there is ZERO sense in buying a NEW monitor without Freesync/Gsync.

I truly don't get it. Unless it isn't an option, or is well out of your prince budget, get Freesync/Gsync monitor.

2is

Diamond Member
Apr 8, 2012
Again I'll reiterate, there is ZERO sense in buying a NEW monitor without Freesync/Gsync.

I truly don't get it. Unless it isn't an option, or is well out of your prince budget, get Freesync/Gsync monitor.

While I would never get a non "sync" monitor after having experienced G-Sync myself, I would not go so far as to say there is ZERO sense in buying a new one. Especially if your current monitor is a 1360x760, there's a lot of reasons to upgrade, even if it's not G-Sync/FreeSync though that would be preferable.

tential

Diamond Member
May 13, 2008
While I would never get a non "sync" monitor after having experienced G-Sync myself, I would not go so far as to say there is ZERO sense in buying a new one. Especially if your current monitor is a 1360x760, there's a lot of reasons to upgrade, even if it's not G-Sync/FreeSync though that would be preferable.

Why? Freesync is literally a couple euros less for him if he gets the entry level freesync monitor?

Freesync/Gsync monitors cover the whole price spectrum.

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/aoc-...descreen-led-monitor-black-red-mo-034-ao.html

I mean, unless someone has information against that monitor, that's what I'd get if I was on a budget.

Any reason he should pick the monitor he chose over the Freesync alternative?

2is

Diamond Member
Apr 8, 2012
I didn't see the monitor he linked. Between those two you're absolutely right.

CianO97

Dec 30, 2015

I don't know what freesync/G-sync is

tential

Diamond Member
May 13, 2008
I don't know what freesync/G-sync is

I'm so sorry.
Sometimes, we assume people know these things.

I'll give you the most basic terms idea of what Freesync/Gsync does.
Also a youtube video explaining it since apparently people prefer to watch videos over quickly reading something =D
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Ey-KObDABI
------------------
This is the last part of this and is basically what Freesync/Gsync does in even more basic terms since I can be very long winded and other posters here even more so:

So, lets say now that you are playing a game, and you enter a particularly demanding area where you get FPS drops. Instead of the gaming looking choppy and poor, it will still look smooth. Basically, it will make 40-50 FPS scenes, feel like 60 FPS scenes.

------------------
So the current monitor you selected. It displays 60 images a second. This just always happens.

Now, separately, your GPU is feeding the monitor images. Each time the GPU has an image ready, it feeds the monitor that image. So if you're getting 40 FPS. It feeds the monitor 40 frames per second.

Your monitor however, it displays 60 images a second, it doesn't matter WHAT that's what happens.

When you enable Vsync, and are able to drive 60 frames per second with your graphics card, then you can sync up the monitor and graphics card at 60 frames per second.

When your GPU is not able to display 60 frames per second, to match the monitor displaying 60 images per second, it will create a tearing effect, and in general create a worse gaming experience.
With Vsync + your GPU driving 60 frames per second to match the monitor, this creates a FAR superior and smoother gaming experience.

What Freesync/Gsync does now is remove the limitation of HAVING to have 60 frames per second. With Gsync/Freesync, the monitor isn't limited to only 60 images per second. It now is able to dynamically shift the amount of images it shows per second to match your GPU.

So, lets say now that you are playing a game, and you enter a particularly demanding area where you get FPS drops. Instead of the gaming looking choppy and poor, it will still look smooth. Basically, it will make 40-50 FPS scenes, feel like 60 FPS scenes.

tential

Diamond Member
May 13, 2008
Also, if you could tell me the games you're playing, that will further let me know how much of a benefit you'll see from Gsync/Freesync.
The last 10 games you played would be great.

Either way, you'll benefit since you'll save money, and have more features on your monitor!

It's great to introduce people to these new technologies. I think this is why Freesync/Gsync aren't doing well. Average gamers just aren't aware of these techs that can help improve their gaming experience.

CianO97

Dec 30, 2015
Also, if you could tell me the games you're playing, that will further let me know how much of a benefit you'll see from Gsync/Freesync.
The last 10 games you played would be great.

Either way, you'll benefit since you'll save money, and have more features on your monitor!

It's great to introduce people to these new technologies. I think this is why Freesync/Gsync aren't doing well. Average gamers just aren't aware of these techs that can help improve their gaming experience.

Thanks for the info I understand now what it does :)

The last 10 games I would have played would be:

Minecraft + 130 - 160 mods
FIFA 16
Fallout 4
Crysis 3
Tomb Raider
Assassins Creed Unity
Rocket League
Battlefield 4/Hardline
Call Of Duty Black Ops 3
WatchDogs
Far Cry 4
Skyrim

ultron

Jan 9, 2016
Yes but the resolution doesn't affect the performance linearly.

The pixel count is related to pixel shader operations,TMU usage and fillrate. But Vertex Shader Operations, GPU Computing and geometry load are not related to pixels.

For example:

HPhysX_tweaktown.png

bt_ph_9_1920.png

bt_ph_9_2560.png

Techhog

Platinum Member
Sep 11, 2013
Yes but the resolution doesn't affect the performance linearly.

The pixel count is related to pixel shader operations,TMU usage and fillrate. But Vertex Shader Operations, GPU Computing and geometry load are not related to pixels.

For example:

HPhysX_tweaktown.png

bt_ph_9_1920.png

bt_ph_9_2560.png

Ah, the days when AMD CPUs were great and used for GPU benchmarks.