Does (Logitech) Harmony have any competition?

Status
Not open for further replies.

swbsam

Platinum Member
Dec 29, 2007
I just gave away my Harmony 520 and need to replace it and looked for similar (USB programmable) remotes and can't seem to find anything other than the Harmony... Are their any other similar remotes out there, or should I just buy another harmony?

lokiju

Lifer
May 29, 2003
Costco has the 880 for $99 now.

Very hard remote to beat for the money IMO.

alkemyst

No Lifer
Feb 13, 2001
wrong forum, if you can't afford groceries do you really need a new remote?

Is giving away stuff when you're broke your 'friendliness'?

anxi80

Lifer
Jul 7, 2002
Originally posted by: lokiju
Costco has the 880 for $99 now.

Very hard remote to beat for the money IMO.

dammit even when i try to purposely avoid athd/fw/sd the deals still find a way to get me! welp, looks like i might as well pick up a hot dog/soda combo since it looks like im going to costco for lunch now.

swbsam

Platinum Member
Dec 29, 2007
shoot, should have posted in audio/video. Please move if necessary.

Aside from Logitech/harmony, are their any other companies worth checking out?

I don't have a compelling reason not to go with harmony again, I just like options.

Pheran

Diamond Member
Apr 26, 2001
The only other computer-programmable remotes I'm aware of are JP1 remotes, but the software for those is all homebrew so Harmony is far easier to use (I used JP1 for years until recently switching to Harmony). You can get a refurbed Harmony 670 from Tiger Direct for $50 at the moment.

swbsam

Platinum Member
Dec 29, 2007
Originally posted by: Pheran
The only other computer-programmable remotes I'm aware of are JP1 remotes, but the software for those is all homebrew so Harmony is far easier to use (I used JP1 for years until recently switching to Harmony). You can get a refurbed Harmony 670 from Tiger Direct for $50 at the moment.

Good to know! Guess I have no good reason to try other brands - thanks.

P.S. Ebay often has harmony remotes for $30, fyi.

MotionMan

Lifer
Jan 11, 2006
I have a house full of Harmony 659's and a full set of backups thanks to Woot.

I love 'em

My brother-in-law had a different model Harmony (800-something) that I hated. It died so I gave him one of my spares. Now we both are happier.

There is almost nothing that I do not love about the Harmony's, so I do not see a reason to look for a replacement.

OP - What did you not like about the Harmony remote?

MotionMan

swbsam

Platinum Member
Dec 29, 2007
Originally posted by: MotionMan
I have a house full of Harmony 659's and a full set of backups thanks to Woot.

I love 'em

My brother-in-law had a different model Harmony (800-something) that I hated. It died so I gave him one of my spares. Now we both are happier.

There is almost nothing that I do not love about the Harmony's, so I do not see a reason to look for a replacement.

OP - What did you not like about the Harmony remote?

MotionMan

I actually love my Harmony (and I gave my bedroom tv harmony to my dad because he needed a remote, not because I didn't like it). I just like having options. It's just weird to me that there's absolutely no competition for the Harmony (at least at the sub-$100 price range). It's good to know that I'm not overlooking anything in my quest for a replacement :)

Status
Not open for further replies.