Does Linux really look like this?

venom600

May 7, 2001

I was surfing AT off topics and saw that wallpaper and it looks just like windows features.

I'm no computer buff but i was intrested in Linux but was scared to move to a new OS because it seems too complicated so i am wondering if Linux as easy as windows? Like double click to use the net, play games, use AIM, etc.

So plaese tell me a bit more about what Linux is about because it looks pretty cool

Thanks

Scootin159

Diamond Member
Apr 17, 2001
Originally posted by: venom600

I was surfing AT off topics and saw that wallpaper and it looks just like windows features.

I'm no computer buff but i was intrested in Linux but was scared to move to a new OS because it seems too complicated so i am wondering if Linux as easy as windows? Like double click to use the net, play games, use AIM, etc.

So plaese tell me a bit more about what Linux is about because it looks pretty cool

Thanks

KDE or Gnome (and especially Lindows) is basically similar to windows in that it's point & click. Straight linux is command-line though, and that's probably what you're more familiar with. If you download RedHat Linux you'll get Gnome though. It's not THAT though, but it's not dummy-proof like windows. In all reality there's really no reason for you to use it as you'll probably just get annoyed & there isn't that much of an advantage to it.

Scootin159

Diamond Member
Apr 17, 2001
btw, that screenshot is of KDE (the big "K" in the bottom-left side is like your "start" button).

smp

Diamond Member
Dec 6, 2000
there isn't that much of an advantage to it.

unless you're a sys admin or a programmer.

notfred

Lifer
Feb 12, 2001
It'll look like that if you want it to bad enough. Don't switch, you don't want to learn a new OS, and no, it's not as easy. Basically, I'll never recommend anyone switch to linux just for the hell of it.

m2kewl

Diamond Member
Oct 7, 2001
it can look like that, if you know what you're doing. for noobs, it's not going to look like that with point and click.

Kadarin

Lifer
Nov 23, 2001
While Linux can look like that, it by no means has to look like that. With Linux you have a lot of flexibility with regard to your user interface.

Scootin159

Diamond Member
Apr 17, 2001
Originally posted by: smp

True - I kinda feel linux was made by sysadmins & programmers for sysadmins & programmers....for much else it tends to fall just short (although it's still a solid OS however you look at it), but for that it is just what the doctor ordered.

notfred

Lifer
Feb 12, 2001
Originally posted by: Scootin159
Originally posted by: smp

True - I kinda feel linux was made by sysadmins & programmers for sysadmins & programmers....for much else it tends to fall just short (although it's still a solid OS however you look at it), but for that it is just what the doctor ordered.

Well, since they give it away for free, it's not like they have to give a crap about what the average user thinks of it. Doesn't affect thier paychecks at all.

silverpig

Lifer
Jul 29, 2001
Here's what my linux desktop looked like with mandrake 8.0 and gnome running enlightenment as my window manager.

I just downloaded mdk 9.0 rc3 with gnome 2.0, but I can't for the life of me figure out how to set enlightenment as my window manager while still running gnome as my desktop manager...

WinkOsmosis

Banned
Sep 18, 2002
I tried Linux (Mandrake 8.2) again last week (before that, I used it a 1-2 years ago). I couldn't get my nVidia drivers installed, even with the help of a Linux veteran. It was a real pain in the ass. And they changed the control panel or whatever Mandrake calls it.. there are no longer any real hardware options, so I never got my refresh rate to anything but 60 fscking Hz. I give up on Linux. If changing the damn refresh rate takes that much effort, I'll pass.

AnimeKnight

Golden Member
Jan 8, 2000
I just started taking a class on linux and downloaded red hat 7.3 from their website. Still have no clue what I am doing...hopefully soon. One question I have is that.. can I run like a virtual windows or something on linux? so I can play games?? I wanna switch over to Linux for the heck of it.. but I wanna able to play my games too hehe :)

trmiv

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Originally posted by: AnimeKnight
I just started taking a class on linux and downloaded red hat 7.3 from their website. Still have no clue what I am doing...hopefully soon. One question I have is that.. can I run like a virtual windows or something on linux? so I can play games?? I wanna switch over to Linux for the heck of it.. but I wanna able to play my games too hehe :)

You can use WINE. But I wouldn't count on everything running perfectly with it.

brtspears2

Diamond Member
Nov 16, 2000
user interfaces in linux still have a long way to go before they can take over the "normal" joe of computing.