Does it worth upgrade for gtx 480 to 670/680 ? or wait for 700 series ?

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Does it worth upgrade for gtx 480 to 670/680 ? or wait for 700 series ?

• No, Wait for 700 series

• Yes , Go for 670/680

Results are only viewable after voting.

BD231

Lifer
Feb 26, 2001
Gordon Freemen

thanks god .... i forgot that link ^^ i mean thank you :D

yeah dude ... BF3 is GPU intensive .. not cpu ... 4 core cpus will do fine ... just need grat gpu for that ....

cmdrdredd

okay i got 590 right ? i got 52-55 dips only with gtx 590 .... i said ... my friend tested it on own i7 2600 4.4GHZ .... same results ....

okay leave it .... all you think that i lie ... no problem ... :) serius ....

that topic is about GPU .... not cpu ... i will upgrade cpu if you will be right .... thats all ....

Exactly. Doesn't matter how much current power you throw at BF3 cpu or gpu alike, BF3 is coded to run a majority of it's CPU intensive tasks on 2 cores and with the amount of physics calculations/multiple players going on in that game coding is the bottleneck. Never mind the game runs smooth as glass even when you get the dips though right? We should be thankful frostbite developers had the sense of mind to keep us around 60.

What we need is for developers to put the extra cores to use properly so people will shut up about hardware limitations that don't exist. By the time a CPU comes out that's twice as fast none of us will be playing BF3, the only real fix to that is better use of available hardware. Thankfully there's massive room for improvement, we just have to wait until they start fully utilizing current hardware.

Gordon Freemen

Golden Member
May 24, 2012
Hardly lose any is not the same performance. What you're saying is "I'm going to twist my words to sound positive because I have to win the argument even if I'm proven wrong".
BF3 runs smooth as glass on MP 64players online. Frostbite 2 is an extremely well optimized engine in today's day and age of extremely poor console ports. Although it would be hard to say cause the game will slow down when action kicks up in SP or MP alike GPU pending so long as your CPU is competent.
http://www.guru3d.com/article/radeon-hd-7970-cpu-scaling-performance-review/9
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/battlefield-3-graphics-performance,3063-13.html
http://www.guru3d.com/article/battlefield-3-vga-and-cpu-performance-benchmark-test/3

Last edited:

cmdrdredd

Lifer
Dec 12, 2001
Smooth compared to what? If you're not getting 60fps you're going to lose. Higher fps actually matters if you are trying to be competitive. If not, and you're having fun then no problem I guess.

Gordon Freemen

Golden Member
May 24, 2012
Smooth compared to what? If you're not getting 60fps you're going to lose. Higher fps actually matters if you are trying to be competitive. If not, and you're having fun then no problem I guess.
Why would you pay $1000 in GPUs to get over steady 60fps in BF3 Ultra LOL

cmdrdredd

Lifer
Dec 12, 2001
Why? Because someone can afford to and like any hobby they enjoy...

I spent $3500 on a gun before. Yeah just one single handgun. Some people would call me crazy and say they can buy one for $400 and even less used. Yeah that's true, but it's just not in the same league.

It's the same thing here. If someone can and they want to and they enjoy it, why not? Especially when the eye candy can be turned up. I enjoy visuals as much as the game play personally.

ViRGE

Elite Member, Moderator Emeritus
Oct 9, 1999
Enough about CPUs and BF3, guys. This subject has been beaten to death

Gordon Freemen

Golden Member
May 24, 2012
Why? Because someone can afford to and like any hobby they enjoy...

I spent $3500 on a gun before. Yeah just one single handgun. Some people would call me crazy and say they can buy one for $400 and even less used. Yeah that's true, but it's just not in the same league.

It's the same thing here. If someone can and they want to and they enjoy it, why not? Especially when the eye candy can be turned up. I enjoy visuals as much as the game play personally.
Not necessary to max out enjoyment of the game to the fullest LOL. I suggest to OP to keep the GTX 480 and or SLI it and wait for the next best thing.

Gordon, you're done in this thread. Stop while you're behind.
-ViRGE

Casting post resurrection for deleting a mod comment. Also, please enjoy this one month all expenses paid vacation.
-ViRGE

Last edited by a moderator:

brandon888

Jun 28, 2012
Gordon Freemen

people still keep talking about cpu ... sad .... i said thati got solid fps on gtx 590 at stock clocked i7 950 ...55-90 on gulf of oman 64 palyers ....

showed us that even old i5 661 can handle 7970 ....

you guys upgrade very yeah and don't even know that 2-3 years old cpu can run new gpus with no problems .... so go waste your money on cpus ... me ? no thnx .. i will keep money for other things ^^

no more talking about CPU please ....

brandon888

Jun 28, 2012
boxleitnerb

thank you ... yeah 40% :( if i have had gtx 460 ... that will be another story....

i decided to wait for 700 series ^^ hope they will be relesed in thins year Q4 ^^

Jacky60

Golden Member
Jan 3, 2010
In the circumstances you'd be best off with a hefty overclock on the CPU and I'd drop another 480 in there to be sure. OK you'll be RAM limited here and there but that's the cheapest way to boost performance or the next year. Then you can buy Haswell/8000/780 series and overclock the c**p out of them.

Jacky60

Golden Member
Jan 3, 2010
99% GPU usage doesn't mean no CPU bottleneck. It simply means you're using your GPU to the max, but that doesn't tell you if a 4Ghz CPU will be faster than a 3.4Ghz CPU. Here's a hint...it will.

FPS drops in BF3 multiplayer are common no matter what. Turn off vsync for starters to open up your card (so it's not going to 60fps and then waiting for work).

You're asking for advice and not listening to the people who know what they're talking about who are giving you advice.

+1:confused: OP knew the answer before posting, time to return my 920 at 4Ghz to stock as it makes no difference.

brandon888

Jun 28, 2012
Jacky60

yeah ^^ ram limit will be problem ... thati s the reason ^^ and my mobo suppoerts only crossfire .... so i have to change mainboard to ... 2 cons ^^

+1 OP knew the answer before posting, time to return my 920 at 4Ghz to stock as it makes no difference.

is it sarcasm ?

dude 2 6990 is different story .... 6990 in CF is faster then 670 in sli .....
i know that 670 in sli needs more then 3.0 ghz ... we were talking about single 680 or 670 ;)

SpeedTester

Mar 18, 2001
yeah ^^ ram limit will be problem ... thati s the reason ^^ and my mobo suppoerts only crossfire .... so i have to change mainboard to ... 2 cons ^^

Did you look into flashing your bios to the p6t bios? It would atleast give you an option for running SLI on your platform.
http://www.overclock.net/t/586111/newegg-ob-p6t-se-for-145-cross-flash-to-p6t-240-board

+1 OP knew the answer before posting, time to return my 920 at 4Ghz to stock as it makes no difference.

is it sarcasm ?

Naaah, I underclocked my 2600k last night and everything appears to be the same if not faster ;^)

BallaTheFeared

Diamond Member
Nov 15, 2010
Wait for 780, deleted 480 SLI > 680/7970 I think we all know it's a good 30-60% faster than OC 680/7970.

Also 1.5GB is more than enough for 1080p.

Last edited:

cmdrdredd

Lifer
Dec 12, 2001
Jacky60

is it sarcasm ?

dude 2 6990 is different story .... 6990 in CF is faster then 670 in sli .....
i know that 670 in sli needs more then 3.0 ghz ... we were talking about single 680 or 670 ;)

So you are comparing a dual gpu card in quad fire to two 670s in sli? That isn't much a comparison. Better compare two gtx 690s in sli to that.

brandon888

Jun 28, 2012
SpeedTester

i tryed it to flash bios ... but didn't work .. because it's about hardware :(

not sure about faster :D but yeah ... i have to be same at least :DDD

sure on gtx 670 in sli will be different story ....

BallaTheFeared

1.5 gb vram is not enough anymore .. .sad but it's true .... for example max payne 3 needs 2 gb vram to enable max AA ... moded skyrim needs more then 1.5 gb to ^^

and even if gtx 780 will be to fast for my cpu ... well ... there will be gtx 770 to ^^ witch will be a bit faster then gtx 680 .... i think gtx 770 will match gtx 590 in performance if we vorget that 590 is 1.5 vram limited :p