Does it bother you that Gore is a prick?

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

reitz

Elite Member
Oct 11, 1999
It's funny; you and I are in complete agreement as to what is the most important issue, but at complete opposite ends of the issue.

I personally do not believe that it is possible for the US to be the world's policeman. The US accounts for just a little more than 4% of the world's population, and even with our far superior technology it would be impossible to intervene in most conflicts without seriously overextending our forces. While you favor using the military to hold on to our dominant position, I believe that the change in the world political scene is inevitable; and we should embrace it. Rising powers such as Pakistan, India, and China have populations that dwarf ours, and with equivalent technology any one of those nations could defeat the US in an armed conflict. We are light years ahead of them in military technology now, but it is only a matter of time until they catch up. It would mean a reduction in American influence across the world, but I think all of us would be better served by the stability offered by the checks-and-balances in a multipolar system. I guess all we can do now is disagree. ;)

I'm curious: if John McCain were running on the Republican ticket, would you still vote for Gore?

I'm Typing

Golden Member
Oct 9, 1999
First of all, I never said the schools suck. They may have problems, but you have to understand that PARENTAL involvement will always mean more to a child than what a teacher might do?therefor, if your school has problems educating your children, you should be prepared to take up the slack. My kids go to public schools. I live where I do because I researched what schools were the best, and moved to that area of my county. Although this might be painful to your conservative ears, sometimes a bureaucrat DOES know better...if for no other reason than that she has to look out for the entire area under which they serve.

Why is it when conservatives talk about (personal) welfare, they sneer?and when they talk about private school welfare?VOUCHERS?they think it is a great thing???!!!! If you think that you should be able to do what you want without government interference, do the REPUBLICAN thing: Work harder, make more money, and determine for YOURSELF where your kids go to school...by paying the cost of a private tuition OUT OF YOUR OWN POCKET!!!! Why should I pay for your kid's private school education?????

reitz

Elite Member
Oct 11, 1999
My mistake, I thought you were voting for Gore. I voted McCain in the primary, and I'm still considering writing him in come November. As against Gore as I am, part of me wants him to win the election to give McCain another shot in 2004.

If Pennsylvania didn't have closed primaries, I would have changed my registration to independant out of disgust with the Republikan party for giving us that knucklehead from Texas instead of a leader who the American public actually believed in.

jjm

Golden Member
Oct 9, 1999
I think I'm Typing did a great job summarizing the pitfalls of vouchers.

The typical private school in my area (the Northeast) costs $8,000+ per year. If you gave a family earning $25,000 a year a $4,000 voucher, there is no way they could kick in the other $4,000+ to pay for a private school.

The other problem is that all the private schools in this area are packed, and they have waiting lists. How could they absorb any extra students?

I think it is correct that the only people who would benefit from vouchers are those people who have students in private schools already. And those people tend to be upper income families.

By the way, most private schools do not require their teachers to be certified, or even that they have any teaching training at all. I am not convinced that teacher training is entirely useful, but what happens is that many new private school teachers have to make a lot of mistakes early in their careers while learning on the job. Those mistakes are made at the expense of the children they teach.

Vouchers just throw dollars at a problem. The capacity to use them effectively just isn't there. They are not the "silver bullet" supporters might have you believe.

Tripleshot

Elite Member
Jan 29, 2000
Red Dawn

Keep an eye on McCain inthe next 3 weeks. His tone last night at the "spin Factory" (TV talking heads) was a bit different than I had seen him before. I will pay keen attention to him. I really hope Harry Browne attract a bigger following. I could get behind a McCain/Brown ticket in 4, no problem.

reitz

Elite Member
Oct 11, 1999
I share your hatred for the Republikan party; unfortunately for me, most of the candidates that share my views are Republikan. I would register Independent, but then I would lose the ability to vote in PA's primary.

I don't know if it was just the religious reich that did McCain in. I'm sure that helped, but a lot of it can also be blamed on his record of going against the party leadership and the noise he made about campaign finance reform.

It's sad; this spring I was actually excited about the elections. While McCain was running, I held a glimmer of hope that we would have a decent choice on the ballot this November; and that we might actually elect a leader that the American public had faith in. Now look who we have to chose from: an arrogant prick who is just as dirty and crooked as his predecessor, or a buffoon who makes Dan Quayle look like Teddy Roosevelt.

JellyBaby

Diamond Member
Apr 21, 2000
If the Rs never proposed tax cuts, I wonder how they'd do? Tax policy is the key R issue and has been for at least 2 decades. Unfortunately, I'm not convinced they'll deliver -- Bush's tax plan gives back some serious dough. It can easily be "paid" for, even if the economy runs out of gas, by simply eliminating government waste.

But will Rs actually have the guts to stop their pork-barrel spending habits, corporate welfare, excessive military procurements? Doubtful. Remember, I'm assuming the Rs control congress which would be required in order to get Bush's complete plan authorized. No, I don?t believe if Rs held total power that they would downsize the government enough to both deliver large tax cuts while at the same time significantly paying down the debt. Am I wrong?

That said, I believe Gore would increase the size of the federal government, extend its power, create more waste, deliver no tax cuts that?d I?d ever see. They?d probably introduce new taxes especially internet sales taxes and usury fees. Am I wrong?

It?s better to make a distinction between what they tell you on TV from what will likely happen if either side is elected. I see a Dark Road either way.

JellyBaby

Diamond Member
Apr 21, 2000
<< Actually it's best to keep the Myopians charge of Congress and the free spenders in the White House were they can prevent each other from fscking us over. >>

How about this anti-establishment idea: get rid of the lot of them and put in different people. With Allah's blessing they'll fix the system enough so by the time they too become corrupt, ha, it's too late you can't do any damage because the system won't allow it!

MrChicken

Feb 18, 2000
<But will Rs actually have the guts to stop their pork-barrel spending habits, corporate welfare, excessive military procurements?>

Damn it's too bad that Lehrer didnt think to ask that question to both candidates.